Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who gets the 25th postseason roster spot?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tony Cingrani

10 20.41%
  • Logan Ondrusek

2 4.08%
  • Alfredo Simon

10 20.41%
  • Miguel Cairo

10 20.41%
  • Didi Gregorius

4 8.16%
  • Devin Mesoraco

12 24.49%
  • Other (specify)

1 2.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final spot of RedsZone's postseason roster

Final spot of RedsZone's postseason roster

Nobody's really enthusiastic about Valdez, but a vote is a vote. So now we come down to the really interesting one.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Final spot of RedsZone's postseason roster

So the Redszone roster is now at 24:

Pitchers (11)- Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure, Leake, Arredondo

Catchers (2)- Hanigan, Navarro

Infielders (5)- Votto, Phillips, Rolen, Cozart, Frazier, Valdez.

Outfielders (5)- Ludwick, Stubbs, Bruce, Heisey, Paul

I'm struggling between Cairo and Mez.. Both are impotent bats.
    Cairo gives you some insurance against Rolen's back.
    Mez lets you use Navarro as a PH.

I don't want 12 pitchers in the postseason..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Best bat available at this point. Don't know if that is Mesoraco or HRod.

Mes - he allows the team to use Navarro as a pinch hitter.

I am going with the same vote as previous -- Alfredo Simon

I want the 12th pitcher. I don't want the team to hesitate to pull a guy before its too late. I think the Rangers and the Cards both blazed a trail last season where the starter comes out early and there are lots of guys showing different looks to keep hitters off balance. IMO, the best way to do that is with the 3rd lefty for the pen, so I vote Cingrani. I don't see a position player available that is going to add much, may as well add the utility to the staff.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I hate to say it but Dusty needs to follow the Tony La Russa fomula. If there is a situation in the 5,6, inning and you have a chance to score runs, you pinch hit for your starter, trust your bull pen. Runs are at a premium. With a runner on 2nd, and 3rd with 1 or 2 outs you let Paul have a chance. I think we need the extra arm in the bullpen.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I want the 12th pitcher. I don't want the team to hesitate to pull a guy before its too late. I think the Rangers and the Cards both blazed a trail last season where the starter comes out early and there are lots of guys showing different looks to keep hitters off balance. IMO, the best way to do that is with the 3rd lefty for the pen, so I vote Cingrani. I don't see a position player available that is going to add much, may as well add the utility to the staff.
    The Cards and Rangers starters were being pulled early all season long, because they weren't very good.

Reds with this roster have Lecure, and Leake who could go long. No need for an extra pitcher.

I voted for Cairo, because I can see him going all Kurt Bevacqua in the post season
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Cards and Rangers starters were being pulled early all season long, because they weren't very good.

Reds with this roster have Lecure, and Leake who could go long. No need for an extra pitcher.

I voted for Cairo, because I can see him going all Kurt Bevacqua in the post season
    They weren't routinely taking guys out in the 4th or 5th by design until the post season.

Bevacqua hasn't gotten a hit in 27 years. I could see Cairo doing that.

Honsetly, there isn't a position player on that list that will add anything that they can't gut from Leake or Arroyo. I'd rather have the extra lefty, but I'm pretty sure that you are right and Cairo will be on the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was torn with this one. I think having having another lefty in the pen and a long arm at that would be great. I think cairo is one of those guys who we would all scream if he was used until he got the big clutch hit. Gregorious has impressed and would give a nice set of extra wheels and a glove. I went with Simon. He has been very underrated and can go long if needed though if Leake is on the squad having a lefty in Cingrani might be preferred. Oh well. Glad this decision isn't mine.
    Last edited by klw; 09-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He will blow big bubbles on the bench. This is all I have ever thought of when I think of Bevacqua as I started collecting cards in '76.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I voted for Mesoroco because I'd prefer to have a 3rd catcher. But I'm not sure of the current rules on injuries to catchers in the first round. I think that MLB was toying with the idea of letting you activate/deactivate a player mid-series in the first round in the case of an injury, in which case I'd prefer someone other than a third catcher.

Are we all aware that Logan Ondrusek has stranded 42 of 46 runners this year and 103 out of 124 in his career?
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Are we all aware that Logan Ondrusek has stranded 42 of 46 runners this year and 103 out of 124 in his career?
    I agree that Logan isn't as bad as he's percieved on this board.
    I don't want to look up the numbers right now, but my perception is he is pretty solid for long periods of times, then seems to go through a struggling period.

I think LeCure and Leake can cover the long/middle innings. Cingrani.. he just doesn't seem quite ready for prime time yet.. No point in adding him on the postseason roster if Dusty doesn't have 100% confidence in him.

I guess I feel that if we have to pull a starter in the 3rd inning twice in a playoff series, we're probably toast anyhow, so I want 11 pitchers. (Also, there's plenty of off days in the postseason to rest the staff). In all honesty, the odds of Leake pitching in a playoff game on this Redszone roster are pretty slim.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Best bat available at this point. Don't know if that is Mesoraco or HRod.
    Thats my thought process too and I think HRod is the best bat, so I voted for him.

Ideally, Dusty would probably prefer a speedy pinch runner type. Not among the choices however. Cairo's experience as a pinch hitter gets him the nod. Second choice of Simon for me.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Turn Off Ads?