Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm fully focused on the playoffs, but...

I'm fully focused on the playoffs, but...

...saw this blurb on MLBTR. Gotta say I hope Walt makes Fowler his number one offseason CF target. I'd say a improving the top of the rotation will be Walt's number one overall priotity.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...-pitching.html

Saw this bit also - makes me like the idea of re-upping Dusty more.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...-francona.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm fully focused on the playoffs, but...

Good god. Valentine in Cincy? I don't think anyone would touch that fool after the way he screwed up the Red Sox this year. I honestly think Dusty will hang it up after this year. His health has got to be a major, major concern for himself.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Good god. Valentine in Cincy? I don't think anyone would touch that fool after the way he screwed up the Red Sox this year. I honestly think Dusty will hang it up after this year. His health has got to be a major, major concern for himself.
    I agree.

I would love to win it all for obvious reasons. And then see Dusty ride off into the sunset into retirement with his biggest victory of all.

I think Dusty definitely has to consider his health in terms of re-upping.

I don't think Dusty retires after this season. 63 years old is relatively young in baseball years. And after a full offseason of rest, I can't see his health being a lingering issue. Certainly he needs to monitor it and take care of himself, but I don't think it will preclude him from managing in the future.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    ... I'd say a improving the top of the rotation will be Walt's number one overall priotity.
    The Reds have given up fewer runs than any team in the NL.

With Cueto and Latos (and potentially Chapman) fronting the rotation, I doubt that improviong upon them would be a bigger priority than CF, leadoff, etc.

If Dusty isn't back, I would love to see Francona. Valentine not so much, I would rather have Grady Little if the discussion was limited to former Sox managers.

I personally think the Reds have some pretty impressive in-house options for the Manager position after Dusty's tenure runs its course.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds have given up fewer runs than any team in the NL.

With Cueto and Latos (and potentially Chapman) fronting the rotation, I doubt that improviong upon them would be a bigger priority than CF, leadoff, etc.
    I was guessing he meant top of the order.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I've come to grips with Dusty returning and wouldn't be against it. I want what's best for Dusty though. If he leaves, I'd rather have Speier or David Bell in-House than Valentine and they aren't one of my Top Five replacement choices. I always wanted Davey Johnson back.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-30-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I can't see Bobby V. getting any offers to manage next season, at least not with a contender. He's pretty toxic right now.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

One of this club's main strength's is it's clubhouse. Valentine would be a horrible choice.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-30-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I've come to grips with Dusty returning and wouldn't be against it. I want what's best for Dusty though. If he leaves, I'd rather have Speirs or David Bell in-Hosue than Valentine and they aren't one of my Top Five replacement choices. I always wanted Davey Johnson back.
    Never understood Davey's firing. Never will.

Speier has been very impressive these past weeks as interm manager. I can see him getting some interviews in future.

As for Dusty, he's a fighter, and loves the game too much to just walk away like this. I think he goes on a year to year basis as long as he wants to manage, which probably will coincide nicely with David Bell's development.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I'd try and lure a guy like Bud Black away from San Diego if Dusty chooses to retire.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I was guessing he meant top of the order.
    The reason I said upgrading the top of the rotation would probably be Walt's top priority was because I believe he tried pretty hard to land a starter upgrade at te deadline and I expect it to carry over to the offseaon. I expect Leake to be trade bait for a bat and Walt to try to upgrade his spot in the rotation.

I think the starter ship has sailed for Chapman. I believe they'll see him as too perfect and automatic as a closer and feel there are to many question marks with him as a starter chance it. They might make a run at someone like Grienke or Peavy or Haren, but IMO, a revisitation of deal for someone like James Shields or maybe the rumored Garza/DeJesus trade may be more likely.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The reason I said upgrading the top of the rotation would probably be Walt's top priority was because I believe he tried pretty hard to land a starter upgrade at te deadline and I expect it to carry over to the offseaon. I expect Leake to be trade bait for a bat and Walt to try to upgrade his spot in the rotation.
    Leake's spot in the rotation is not at the top.

Turn Off Ads?