Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB Beat the Streak In A Day

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

MLB Beat the Streak In A Day

How about this? MLB is offering $5.6 million to anyone who can pick 57 players who will get a hit in tomorrow's games. It's got to be impossible, but of course I'm giving it a shot. Care to make it a Redszone challenge? Pride at stake.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/btsday/index.jsp

[Edit: 57 players. You have to beat the streak, not tie.]
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 09-27-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Beat the Streak In A Day

I'm in it.... This should be fun...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I am in.

Let's say you have 56 batters who each are .300 hitters who will get 4 PA and don't walk at all. The chances of all 56 getting a hit is: ((1-(.7^4)^56 or 1 in 4,760,352. Good luck!

Good to know you can get it out of the way all at once, but good luck!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Let's say you have 56 batters who each are .300 hitters who will get 4 PA and don't walk at all. The chances of all 56 getting a hit is: ((1-(.7^4)^56 or 1 in 4,760,352. Good luck!

So you're saying I have a chance?!

Just the odds that all 57 of your players even play that day are slim to none. But I took the challenge!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Considering there is a prize involved, getting infinite odds (no entry fee) is a damn good deal.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

That's why I put it here. Just to show that I'm the best RZer at calling shots!
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I really want to win this thing!

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

1 in 4.7 million sounds daunting.

I choose to look at it this way: I just have to accurately pick 4 players in a game who will get a hit. Easy as pie.

And then I have to do it 14 more times. D'oh.

For a Level Playing Field

Not trying, b/c I'll get screwed. I'll probably get 56 guys with a hit. Then #57 will come to the plate hitless in the 9th inning. He will get an obvious infield hit, but... the official scorer will be related to the Cubs official scorer who used to rule all of Ryne Sandberg's errors as hits. He'll try to make up for his relative's injustice by giving the infielder an error to make it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Just the odds that all 57 of your players even play that day are slim to none. But I took the challenge!
    Well,all the lineups are out now except the Pads, Giants, and A's. Good luck all!
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I picked at least one player on every team except one. The Pirates. I joked that Homer was going to no hit them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

So far, I've gotten 18 correct.... 11 inncorect
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Turn Off Ads?