Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

The division is clinched, everybody seems healthy, and the playoffs are almost upon us. Everybody in Redsville is happy...myself included. That being said, is anyone else concerned about the momentum that the Reds are taking into the post-season?

In September, the Reds have scored 70 Runs (with 4 games remaining) which is the 3rd WORST in MLB. In August, they ranked 8th with 142 Runs. That's a SERIOUS drop in production. In July, the Reds ranked 11th with 116.

OPS is also horrible in September: .636 which is 3rd worst in MLB. In August, they were at .777 (6th in MLB) and in July they were .760 (ranked 10th).

Pitching looks pretty solid, with a 3.24 ERA in September, a 3.78 in August, and a 3.03 in July (4th in MLB that month).

I realize that the Reds are using some new guys here and there and that could account for some of the drop-off. Still, I don't like seeing the offensive nose-dive we've seen right when they need to be playing their best. Call me paranoid (thank you) but it seems as though the firepower that pushed this team to the division title has begun to flame out.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

Wilson Valdez is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The division is clinched, everybody seems healthy, and the playoffs are almost upon us. Everybody in Redsville is happy...myself included. That being said, is anyone else concerned about the momentum that the Reds are taking into the post-season?

In September, the Reds have scored 70 Runs (with 4 games remaining) which is the 3rd WORST in MLB. In August, they ranked 8th with 142 Runs. That's a SERIOUS drop in production. In July, the Reds ranked 11th with 116.

OPS is also horrible in September: .636 which is 3rd worst in MLB. In August, they were at .777 (6th in MLB) and in July they were .760 (ranked 10th).

Pitching looks pretty solid, with a 3.24 ERA in September, a 3.78 in August, and a 3.03 in July (4th in MLB that month).

I realize that the Reds are using some new guys here and there and that could account for some of the drop-off. Still, I don't like seeing the offensive nose-dive we've seen right when they need to be playing their best. Call me paranoid (thank you) but it seems as though the firepower that pushed this team to the division title has begun to flame out.
    I wish they were playing better but keep in mind in 1990 they were 15-16 from 9/1 on.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Still winning at a .540 clip....

There has been some slumps, some injury's and just simple time off.... I'm sure all of that accounts for the drop in production.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

The regular lineup hasn't been on the field together most of September as Cozart and Ludwick have been out a lot.No worries here.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

It's baseball, everything about being a fan is teetering on the edge of despair and glee.

I've only never worried about one team, the 1976 Reds.

Everything else is clenched teeth and migraines.

Best game in the world

Yes I am worried about the Reds, mainly because anything can happen in a 5 game series.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's not the wins/losses or hitting stats that bother me. It's the eyetest. I don't see many quality at-bats right now. Overanxious hitters swinging at alot of bad pitches. I'd feel better if I felt the slump was just some bad luck on hit balls.

7 more games. Hopefully the team starts to heat up here soon.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's baseball, everything about being a fan is teetering on the edge of despair and glee.

I've only never worried about one team, the 1976 Reds.

Everything else is clenched teeth and migraines.

Best game in the world
    Well do us a favor, stop worrying about this team like you did that team and we can get the same results.

The Reds have got to be considered favorites. Really the only potential pumpkins on the roster are Ludwick, Frazier and Broxton. I guess you worry about Chapman having some trouble but for the most part, the Reds haven't gotten here because a bunch of key guys are playing way over their heads.

This is probably their best shot at winning the world series based upon the true talent of the roster since 1999.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I imagine they have a 40 percent chance of losing in the first round. But so does every other team at minimum.

2 out of 5 games this season the Reds score 3 runs or less in a game.

So in the NLDS there's a better than 2/5 chance we're only scoring a max of three runs (better because pitching will be better than average)

In the NLCS and WS that'd be a 3/7 chance.

Must continue to have tippy top shape SP and RP to have a chance with those numbers working against you. This team flat out can't score. This formula worked to the tune of 93+ wins. But in a short series just be prepared... or worried if you so choose.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    2 out of 5 games this team scores 3 runs or less in a game.

So in the NLDS there's a better than 2/5 chance we're only scoring a max of three runs (better because pitching will be better than average)

In the NLCS and WS that'd be a 3/7 chance.

Must continue to have tippy top shape SP and RP to have a chance with those numbers working against you. This team flat out can't score. This formula worked to the tune of 93+ wins. But in a short series just be prepared... or worried if you so choose.
    Winning games is a function of run scoring and run prevention. Don't cherry pick the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Winning games is a function of run scoring and run prevention. Don't cherry pick the negatives.
    The negatives are reasons to worry. The positives are reasons to have faith. This thread isn't called "So... is anyone else not worried about the Reds?"
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    The negatives are reasons to worry. The positives are reasons to have faith. This thread isn't called "So... is anyone else not worried about the Reds?"
    So the sum total of run prevention and run scoring has you worried, just to be clear?

Turn Off Ads?