Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

Re: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

The only thing I've been worried about was over the last decade or so, and if this organization would ever turn it around and get their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    October is pitching and defense. Not making stupid plays, no stupid baserunning, and stay away from stupid pitches. Be in the moment and relaxed concentration. Play hard, but not too hard.

And these Reds have scads of pitching and defense and they play intelligent baseball. Think they'll do all right. No deer in the headlights like 2010. This team has maturity. Of course, post-season baseball is incredibly tough and everyone is good. But the Reds have played the good teams well this year. Low scoring games are their forte. They'll be all right.
    Yep. My sentiments exactly. For the most part you're going to see some hard fought, low scoring games due to pitching. The Reds have that, plus an excellent defense, so they'll be in the ball games to the end. But you'll see some small ball playing as teams (managers) employ various strategies trying to scratch/push runs across.

It's gonna come down, game by game, to who "blinks" first... that bad inning, a pitch you wish you could take back, who got a lucky break. We're talking the "on edge of your seat" baseball which is exciting.

And there always seems to be those "surprises" in the post-season too. I never thought the Cards would go all the way last year.... but they got hot when one needs to.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-01-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

People will worry.

They worried when some of our best releivers went down and Chapman was put into the bullpen.

They worried when the Cards jumped out to an early lead.

They worried when the Reds weren't hitting very well in the first half of the season.

They really worried when Votto went down.

They freaked out when the Pirates were romoured to be making big moves at the deadline.

And here we are with a 10 game lead.

It's OK to worry but that doesn't mean that all is lost. The other teams in the playoffs have just as much to worry about, considering no one in the majors has more wins than us.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I've only never worried about one team, the 1976 Reds.
    Yep. The 1976 Reds not only went undefeated in the post season; I expected them to win every important game, they expected to win every important game, and they won every important game.
    I am worried about the lack of production of the Reds offense in recent weeks, but the post season is usually a crap shoot anyway. I am actually less concerned about Washington than I am about the other NL playoff opponents.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I would call it nervousness that they might lose the one run game instead of win the one run game. All the teams are evenly matched, any one of the four will be good enough to make a WS run, just a matter of whose pitching holds out the longest.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would call it nervousness that they might lose the one run game instead of win the one run game. All the teams are evenly matched, any one of the four will be good enough to make a WS run, just a matter of whose pitching holds out the longest.
    This is the perspective I have as well. It's going to be about who gets hot, and who gets the breaks. No team is overly dominant or overly inferior in any area....although I do favor the Reds combination of pitching AND defense.

Let's get this party started already.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Actually tha kind of stuff happens all the time.

Plus Peralta has a better ERA than each of those 4 pitchers, by an average of 0.74 runs.
    What he said.

The Reds earlier this year did that exact thing when on a Saturday they were shut down by future HOF pitcher Paul Maholm and three days later roughed up Cain, chasing him in the 7th inning where they scored 6 runs.

Before Kris Medlan became the Braves superstar pitcher du jour, Brandon Beachy was leading the NL in ERA. Then he gave up two homers to DatDude and another to Cozart.

The Reds have won games started by Cain, Zito, Sabathia, Lohse, Garcia, Wainwright and many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?