Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America: Pioneer League Top 20 Prospects (6 Reds)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball America: Pioneer League Top 20 Prospects (6 Reds)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614089.html

2. Robert Stephenson, rhp, Billings (Reds)
    5. Jesse Winker, of, Billings (Reds)
    10. Dan Langfield, rhp, Billings (Reds)
    11. Jeff Gelalich, of, Billings (Reds)
    18. Seth Mejias-Brean, 3b, Billings (Reds)
    20. Ismael Guillon, lhp, Billings (Reds)

Worthy notes: Gelalich had an injured hand during the season (which could explain the production). Pat Kelly (Billings manager who also managed Scott Rolen as a prospect) compared SMB to Rolen (the BA writer says that is a bit much).

Jon Moscot reportedly would have made the list had he had one more inning to qualify, which would have pushed Guillon off the list.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America: Pioneer League Top 20 Prospects (6 Reds)

They don't seem to think all that much of Guillon, but I love to see both Stephenson and Winker in their top five. Four in the top 11? Yes, please.

Would they could do that in other leagues as well!

(Perhaps AA-- I could see Hamilton, Corcino, and Cingrani go top 11, though a fourth may be too much.)

David Dahl would have looked good in Cincy Red. Addison Russell also....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    They don't seem to think all that much of Guillon, but I love to see both Stephenson and Winker in their top five. Four in the top 11? Yes, please.

(Perhaps AA-- I could see Hamilton, Corcino, and Cingrani go top 11, though a fourth may be too much.)
    I could see Gregorius making it in the AA Top 20.

I think they like Guillon from the scouting report.

Again though, it should be noted, that the league rankings don't always reflect the team rankings that will come out later. The league rankings are more based on what managers/coaches in the league put out there (or at least have in the past), rather than what the scouts are seeing/thinking.

Solid group. Nice to see a mix of pitching and hitting. Really intrigued by SMB, as he supposedly has a lot of athleticism -- I have to wonder how high his ceiling is.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Solid group. Nice to see a mix of pitching and hitting. Really intrigued by SMB, as he supposedly has a lot of athleticism -- I have to wonder how high his ceiling is.
    I don't want to give away too much of their "for pay" content, but from the scouting report, I would say potentially an average 3B hitter with very strong defense.

Along with Drew Cisco, they had some pretty stout pitching. High schooler Sal Romano as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Cingrani and Hamilton have a chance to make the top 10 in both the California and the Southern leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    David Dahl would have looked good in Cincy Red. Addison Russell also....
    Courtney Hawkins also.

I worry that 2012 might be the year that breaks the Reds unbelievable run of successful first round draft picks. It's obviously WAYYYYYYYYY too early to make a call, but the Travieso selection was a curious one from the start- kind of like Hayden Simpson or Matt Hobgood in previous years.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Courtney Hawkins also.

I worry that 2012 might be the year that breaks the Reds unbelievable run of successful first round draft picks. It's obviously WAYYYYYYYYY too early to make a call, but the Travieso selection was a curious one from the start- kind of like Hayden Simpson or Matt Hobgood in previous years.
    What is not to like with Travieso? Big time arm, shows two offspeed pitches with promise.

but the Travieso selection was a curious one from the start- kind of like Hayden Simpson or Matt Hobgood in previous years.
    I wouldn't go that far. Travieso was shaping up as a late-first/supplemental pick. Simpson was projected well below the 1st round, and Hobgood was the #5 overall pick. In my book, he was a minor surprise, not a major one.

The 2012 Billings team has been compared by some to the 2006 Mustangs in terms of depth of quality talent. That club had Stubbs, Heisey, Valaika, Dorn, Francisco, Jordan Smith, Josh Roenicke, Justin Turner, Travis Webb and a number of players that were solid low-minors types like Logan Parker and Jason Louwsma. Most of those players moved up to Dayton in 2007 and the Dragons started the year by going 24-5. I am hoping the similarities are valid.

The 2012 Billings team has been compared by some to the 2006 Mustangs in terms of depth of quality talent. That club had Stubbs, Heisey, Valaika, Dorn, Francisco, Jordan Smith, Josh Roenicke, Justin Turner, Travis Webb and a number of players that were solid low-minors types like Logan Parker and Jason Louwsma. Most of those players moved up to Dayton in 2007 and the Dragons started the year by going 24-5. I am hoping the similarities are valid.
    Nice to hear. Seems to me the 2012 Billings group has significantly better pitching than the 2006 group. If they line up Stephenson, Guillon, Moscot, Langfield, Cisco and Romano at Dayton -- they've got a prospect rich 6 man rotation! (Which means they won't all be there, of course.)

Not only does next season's Dragon club look pitching-rich, it should also boast a very nice lineup. Led by prospects Winker, Mejias-Brean, Vincej, a fully-healthy Gelalich, and interesting bats like Carlos Sanchez and Brandon Dailey, plus the return of 6th round pick (and possible catcher of the future) Joe Hudson from Notre Dame, that lineup-- while not stacked with prospects, could man seven of the eight starting spots with gys OPSing 800 or better in Billings.

Bakersfield will be horrid, though, and AA Pennsacola doesn't look to be much better on paper. Jocketty and company may want to think about both minor league veteran free agents and a couple deals wherein actual prospects are acquired. (A deal of, say, Mike Leake and a couple relievers may warrant a decent haul.)

Turn Off Ads?