Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So that was the stake in the Brewers' heart, yes?

So that was the stake in the Brewers' heart, yes?

Beat us yesterday, 1 out from victory today, clinging to life support to catch the Cardinals.....that was the knockout punch, the coup de gras, pulling the plug, the golden bullet, the stake through the heart.

Not to be macabre, but feels good to do that to someone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So that was the stake in the Brewers' heart, yes?

I want to thank the Reds for taking care of business!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Wow, don't see many walkoff triples.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Wow, don't see many walkoff triples.
    That is kind of interesting...because with 2 outs and tie score, there is absolutely no reason to keep running past 2nd.

You run past 1st because if the lead runner stops at 3rd, 2nd and 3rd is better than 1st and 3rd. But I can think of no reason at all to continue on to 3rd base.

If the Reds care about grabbing the 1 seed, that might be a big victory. A couple of SL victores this weekend, combined w/ a couple of Cinci wins this weekend and they've got the perfect formula for a trip to SL to end the season w/ the cards resting as many as possible while getting their ace setup to pitch vs the Braves since everything will be pretty much wrapped up other than the 1 seed under that scenerio.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    That is kind of interesting...because with 2 outs and tie score, there is absolutely no reason to keep running past 2nd.

You run past 1st because if the lead runner stops at 3rd, 2nd and 3rd is better than 1st and 3rd. But I can think of no reason at all to continue on to 3rd base.
    When you have 3 career triples entering the game, you take 'em when you can get 'em I suppose.

Well, their magic number is 2, so its very close. Their win out is 86-76, Cards lose out is 84-78. Dodgers can still go 87-75.

But realistically, there is just one tong on the plug still in the outlet of the life support machine.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

emphasis

I'm rooting for you guys to get the best record. How awesome would it be if the Cards and Reds matched up in the first round?

My first reaction to seeing on Gameday to seeing Navarro had a walkoff triple was that the outfielders must have run into each other and knocked each other out. The replay however shows him celebrating before he was halfway to second. He was just shy of 2nd when the relay throw was made. Looks like momentum just kept him going.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...b_1&mode=video
    Last edited by klw; 09-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.

I hate helping the Cardinals.

I'll be rooting very hard for the Braves in the one-game wild card, which I assume (hope) will be in Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm rooting for you guys to get the best record. How awesome would it be if the Cards and Reds matched up in the first round?
    So did they change the rules on that? Because IIRC in the past they never would let two teams from the same division play in the first round, seeding be damned. Did they drop that with this new wild card monstrosity?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The sole reason is to get the triple.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    So did they change the rules on that? Because IIRC in the past they never would let two teams from the same division play in the first round, seeding be damned. Did they drop that with this new wild card monstrosity?
    Yes, you can play a divisional opponent now.

Brewers = toast

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?