Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tripleheader: Today in History

Tripleheader: Today in History

I have a trucking sales rep who sends out a daily "Today in History" email and then uses that to mention what lanes he's looking for freight in. Today's jumped out at me, a tripleheader played on this date in 1920 between our own Reds and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Curious, I did a little research and here's the story from SABR.

First, here's the 1920 season's schedule which shows the three games on this date: http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml

Now here's the story: http://research.sabr.org/journals/last-tripleheader

How'd you like to see a 1920 Redszone (down at the tavern?) look at that 2nd game line-up? Four pitchers in the starting line up for our hometown club.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tripleheader: Today in History

- McGunnigle as manager and Doggie as a utility player in his last year, who also saw service as one of the umpires in the afternoon contests. .

Wow, I wonder how that happened and how that went over?

My knowledge on that era of baseball is not good but the way I understand it was more of a gentlemans game before the turn of the century to where there were no disputes or controversies, but after the turn of the century it went the other way.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The really amazing fact is that they played all three games in five hours! Now they could barely get a game 1/2 in that amount of time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    - McGunnigle as manager and Doggie as a utility player in his last year, who also saw service as one of the umpires in the afternoon contests. .

Wow, I wonder how that happened and how that went over?

My knowledge on that era of baseball is not good but the way I understand it was more of a gentlemans game before the turn of the century to where there were no disputes or controversies, but after the turn of the century it went the other way.
    He was likely the only umpire in that contest. In 1890 the NL and AA only provided one umpire per contest, the Players league introduced duel umpires for the season, but only they played by those rules.

Up until a certain point in the 80's it was the home teams responsibility to provide the umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He was likely the only umpire in that contest. In 1890 the NL and AA only provided one umpire per contest, the Players league introduced duel umpires for the season, but only they played by those rules.

Up until a certain point in the 80's it was the home teams responsibility to provide the umpire.
    Was there much controversy or fighting back before 1900 or am I off in that the game was just as rough and full of fight like it was in the Cobb era?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The really amazing fact is that they played all three games in five hours! Now they could barely get a game 1/2 in that amount of time.
    That's the result of bat on the ball baseball, no long counts, small amounts of walks and K's.

Back in that era the teams in the top division received payments for placing closer to 1st, the contest was probably more about 3rd and 4th place money than anything

Was there much controversy or fighting back before 1900 or am I off in that the game was just as rough and full of fight like it was in the Cobb era?
    The 1890's was a mess, and many of the teams owners turned their backs to umpire violence and other shenanigans, towards the end of the decade they began to protect the umpire more and a result of the era is the formation of the AL who really cracked down on umpire bashing and cleaned up the blatant violence that was in the game.

The 1890's was a mess, and many of the teams owners turned their backs to umpire violence and other shenanigans, towards the end of the decade they began to protect the umpire more and a result of the era is the formation of the AL who really cracked down on umpire bashing and cleaned up the blatant violence that was in the game.
    But before that time wasn't there like a players code of conduct where if an umpire ruled a catch that the player who supposedly caught the ball was bound by honor to tell the umpire that he didn't actually catch the ball?

But before that time wasn't there like a players code of conduct where if an umpire ruled a catch that the player who supposedly caught the ball was bound by honor to tell the umpire that he didn't actually catch the ball?
    Maybe in the 1860's, but once money got involved all bets were off.

That's the result of bat on the ball baseball, no long counts, small amounts of walks and K's.

Back in that era the teams in the top division received payments for placing closer to 1st, the contest was probably more about 3rd and 4th place money than anything
    Yes the article said that 3rd place would get a World Series share. That's what they were playing for.
    I know I have read that games were considered very long if they went more than two hours back then. I always imagined the hitters usually went to the plate swinging at the first pitch within two feet of the plate. Also not much time was wasted in warmups between innings. And no TV holdups for longer commercial breaks. One thing I noticed at a Nationals game I attended that was televised by FOX. It seemed as though the 2nd base umpire would give a signal when to start play at the beginning of each half inning. I figured someone from TV was signaling him when they were back from commercials.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Games also started around 3 (4 in NYC to get the Wall St crowd in) so late in the season the sun played a big part in speeding up the game too

Turn Off Ads?