Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer!!!!

Re: Homer!!!!

Pretty cool for Homer. Congrats to him and Ryan Hanigan.

I remember watching Maloney's no hitter against the Cubs (I think). Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Worth The Wait

SOB... Took my daughter out to a HS football game tonight and didn't bother to DVR the game because I figured there wasn't anything really significant that could take place. Ugh

My wife & I went to a movie tonight. Before the movie, I showed her we had the bases loaded in the 1st and then I saw the inning was over and we'd scored just one run.

We came out of the movie and I had two texts on my phone, one from my oldest daughter at 9:13, the other from my son a minute later. She said "are you watching the game?" He wrote, "Turn on the game." I told my wife, we're going to Dewey's and she asked why and I told her about the kids' texts. She said "a perfect game?" and my eyes widened and she clapped her hand over her mouth. She knows better than to say that.

We got into the restaurant just as the 9th inning was starting. We sat down and anxiously watched as Homer completed the game (which at this point, we mistakenly believed was a perfect game). The whole place erupted in applause when Brandon caught the final out.

I said to my wife, this season is magical. A bit later my son texted me the exact same thing.

Just wow.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Special game and a special season. Homer's location was absolutely precise tonight; he hit his spots, and there wasn't much the Pirates could do.

I'm hoping this ride lasts deep into October.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Crikey on a cracker, I just wonder if things can't get any more perfect. If this had happened four years ago, even ONE year ago, I'd fear for the mental toll it might take on Homer, psyching him out. Now I think it will just give him even more confidence going into the playoffs. Do you know why this team had a no-hitter at a point in the season when it didn't even matter to them? Because this team is tenacious! I am telling you!!!

Oh man, Pittsburgh is such a beautiful place to live! again!!!!

(And dear baseball gods, thank you, thank you for keeping me safe in the confines of my local bar, drinking fine Cincinnati Sam Adams beer, while my ex-boyfriend the Buccos fan who blew all that money on the last six games of the season at top dollar back when the Pirates were SURELY going to win the division had to suffer through this in person with his horrible new girlfriend at the ballpark. My bitterness is 99% over, but I appreciate your efforts nonetheless.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nice... Enjoy it reds fans it's a rare feat!!
    No doubt. No lie that this is the most excited (little sweaty, fidgety in my chair, etc) I have been as a fellow die-hard since Travis Wood's near perfect game in 2010. We've all seen walkoffs, fantastic defensive plays and the Aroldis Chapman thing, but nothing has had me as excited/nervous for quite some time as these two games (and one of them was a loss!). Bronson Arroyo took one to the 8th this year, but entering that 9th with it is a cool thing. Great stuff.

Thanks HOMER. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My wife & I went to a movie tonight. Before the movie, I showed her we had the bases loaded in the 1st and then I saw the inning was over and we'd scored just one run.

We came out of the movie and I had two texts on my phone, one from my oldest daughter at 9:13, the other from my son a minute later. She said "are you watching the game?" He wrote, "Turn on the game." I told my wife, we're going to Dewey's and she asked why and I told her about the kids' texts. She said "a perfect game?" and my eyes widened and she clapped her hand over her mouth. She knows better than to say that.

We got into the restaurant just as the 9th inning was starting. We sat down and anxiously watched as Homer completed the game (which at this point, we mistakenly believed was a perfect game). The whole place erupted in applause when Brandon caught the final out.

I said to my wife, this season is magical. A bit later my son texted me the exact same thing.

Just wow.
    How was the flick?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    At the bar. Missed the game. Drunk, emotional. Trying not to cry. Let's win the damn World Series and roll the end credits on the best summer of our lives.
    The Hold Steady - Constructive Summer - YouTube
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

GAC and I watched all of it from about the 3rd inning on at the BW3 in Western Hills. He told me that Homer had a no-hitter going in about the 5th inning and I knew he was doing well but not that well.

Congratulations, Homer! Very exciting. Always wanted to see a no-hitter in person but this was almost as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I missed Brownings perfect game in 88' and i missed Homers game tonight by going to a stupid lopsided HS football game.

The no hitter Gods must hate me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I saw Seaver's, but missed Browning's because I was on foreign soil defending our country. I got home from work in time to catch the 4th inning on for this one... almost burnt dinner because I wouldn't leave the game except between innings. What a beautiful game! Thanks Homer! Thanks Reds!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Attaboy, Homer! What a game, what a season, what a team!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Here's the video with Marty's call layered over the audio. And it is great.

http://deadspin.com/5947515/homer-ba...ter-since-1988

edit: why does Phillips look like he's wearing a mechanic's jumpsuit?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Way to go Homer! This has been a crazy season. I was at Soto's almost no hitter. Still ticked at George Hendrick for that one.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?