Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official 'Raise Your Hand If You Were Wrong About Homer Bailey' Thread

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The Official 'Raise Your Hand If You Were Wrong About Homer Bailey' Thread

My hand is near the moon.

This is not just about tonight. He keeps improving and is still relatively young. He's been very good all season. I never thought he had it in him.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 09-28-2012 at 10:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official 'Raise Your Hand If You Were Wrong About Homer Bailey' Thread

Mine, too.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I was wrong about Homer. I told everyone he needed to just go away, Walt should get what he could for him and move on. Never been so glad to be wrong!
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

I was wrong...thought he was a hot head...thought he was at best a 4th or
    5th starter...thought we could win without him.

My hand is raised!

In the presser Hanigan said when he first came into the league he was "hard-headed."
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I will never forget the game thread of his first start this year.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am not sure what one game proves. Philip Humber, Dallas Braden, Bud Smith, Eric Milton, and lots of other non-descript pitchers have thrown no-hitters.

That said, I hope this is the turning point for Bailey.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am not sure what one game proves. Philip Humber, Dallas Braden, Bud Smith, Eric Milton, and lots of other non-descript pitchers have thrown no-hitters.

And that's exactly why I included the "legal disclaimer" in the OP. This is not just about this game. Bailey has been good all year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I will never forget the game thread of his first start this year.
    Kal, do I see your hand raised in the back of the room there?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    And that's exactly why I included the "legal disclaimer" in the OP. This is not just about this game. Bailey has been good all year.
    I agree he has been good this year. If Bailey can find consistency, the Reds will be very tough with their top three starters.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

That's actually a fair assessment, IMO.

Also, I have to ask the OP to define what "wrong" about Bailey implies.

Wrong about Bailey as nothing more than a back-of the -rotation starter?

Wrong about Bailey proving to not be expendable?

I, personally, do not give a flying fig whether or not Bailey is perceived as a frontline starter or not. He's just pitched the first Red's no-hitter in 24 years, as a homegrown starter, no less.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I agree he has been good this year. If Bailey can find consistency, the Reds will be very tough with their top three starters.
    Consistency is what I thought he'd never find. I've been a borderline Bailey basher. I was wrong. He's been consistently good all season.

Raises hand in shame. But glad I have been wrong about him. He is finally becoming consistent. If he continues to be consistent the Reds have three really good young starting pitchers that should be around for many years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I will raise my hand. I thought Bailey still had potential and would become a good starter eventually, but I certainly did not think he would be this good this fast.

I am feeling good about some comments I made in this thread back in July:
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I am fine with keeping the current 60/40 playing time split for Hanigan/Mesoraco until Devin can truly earn more playing time. Right now Hanigan is the better defensive catcher and the more productive hitter.

What I don't get is why the experienced veteran catcher Hanigan catches the experienced crafty veteran pitcher Bronson Arroyo, while the raw rookie catcher Devin Mesoraco catches the inexperienced, non-crafty, still-learning young pitcher Homer Bailey.

Seems like Mesoraco could learn a lot by pairing up with Arroyo, and Homer could learn a lot by pairing up with Hanigan. Right now we have the blind leading the blind and the trail guide leading another trail guide.
    Those comments did not go over too well in that thread. People thought it was a bad idea then but it has worked out very well.

Back in August the Reds did put Hanigan in as Bailey's catcher and ever since then Homer has been fantastic. When Mesoraco got sent down Hanigan took over the catching duties for Homer's starts and the results have been great. Hanigan has a lot of veteran savvy and experience, now he is showing Homer Bailey how to pitch rather than throw.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 09-29-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Kal, do I see your hand raised in the back of the room there?
    My best post of the year. Delivered in the midst of a rough first start while he was getting beat around by the Cards and the board. Mocked within one minute of posting it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=82

I haven't given up on Homer. I know that's an uncool sentiment.

6 years later, is my user name finally worth it?

Turn Off Ads?