Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 10/1/2012 Reds at Cardinals

Re: 10/1/2012 Reds at Cardinals

Most worrisome is the offense seemingly went down hill when Joey Votto returned. Does this team fall into the trap of thinking Votto will bail them out?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

By the way, this may be Robert the Bruce talking, but this is my first year in the ORG, and you guys have enhanced my enjoyment of Reds baseball tenfold this season, so thanks.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Granted none of us are pro baseball players, but it's hard not to assume that most guys kick it up a notch (a notch you can't reach until you're finally there) when it's playoff time.
    I won't argue with this. Maybe you just have to be the best at something to understand what that next notch is.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    For me, I guess I'm taking the "I'll wait and see in October" mentality. After the way things went down the tubes really quickly in 2010, this team could be saving themselves for October baseball. At least that's what I'm hoping they're doing. For every one of our hitters to seemingly stall at once seems very unlikely.
    it's October 1st. This is October baseball. Perhaps the last series of the season, against your division rival, with a chance to knock them out of the playoffs is a good time to get things going.

maybe? You think?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    it's October 1st. This is October baseball. Perhaps the last series of the season, against your division rival, with a chance to knock them out of the playoffs is a good time to get things going.

maybe? You think?
    This is not the playoffs yet. I don't think it will definitely happen but I certainly think it is possible this team could kick it up a notch starting Saturday or Sunday.

If I ever found myself with an interview with a pro, that would be 90 percent of my line of questioning. As a former journalist, that makes me drool.

I'd guess there's a mentality that comes over a player. My job now is to be ready for the playoffs and healthy. I'll play "hard" but I basically want to protect my body from injury and not overdo things.

It seems more pronounced for the offense on the Reds, but pitchers don't work every day so maybe they face their outings with more of a sense of importance.

The problem, of course, is whether the team can get it going again on demand in the playoffs. I think it depends on the team, the opposition, the pitching matchups, etc.

With the Reds we lived through a horrendous slump early in the season and it's a bit upsetting to see this lack of offense now. The Reds will become more intense in the playoffs, to be sure, but who knows if it will amount to much more offense. We'll see.

Does it seem like Votto is taking a lot of strikes and getting himself into pitchers counts

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With the Reds we lived through a horrendous slump early in the season and it's a bit upsetting to see this lack of offense now. The Reds will become more intense in the playoffs, to be sure, but who knows if it will amount to much more offense. We'll see.
    Good summary of my worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Does it seem like Votto is taking a lot of strikes and getting himself into pitchers counts
    I don't think two strikes bothers Votto in the least. I get the feeling he's never seen a count he doesn't like. 0-2 means he got to see two of your pitches, so you're the one in the hole.

You know I always thought the reason Tony La Russa resigned was he thought that the Cards were "done" after last year. He knew Sir Albert was gone and Carpenter was on his last legs.

I bet you if he knew that the Cards were more than likely to be in the playoffs he would not have resigned....just my opinion.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Hoover pitching.

Marty said on the radio that Dusty wanted to give Simon and Hoover some pitching time. Sounds like they will be on the post-season roster, but who really knows.

Still, why use them tonight if they are not going to the playoffs.

Could be that Arredondo won't be on the roster then. Can't have 15 relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hoover pitching.

Marty said on the radio that Dusty wanted to give Simon and Hoover some pitching time. Sounds like they will be on the post-season roster, but who really knows.

Still, why use them tonight if they are not going to the playoffs.

Could be that Arredondo won't be on the roster then. Can't have 15 relievers.
    I'm very ok with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    This is not the playoffs yet. I don't think it will definitely happen but I certainly think it is possible this team could kick it up a notch starting Saturday or Sunday.
    That's what I was getting at. The only player that has more/less been looking like their normal selves has been Drew Stubbs. I don't want to say that this team hasn't been trying hard each time they take the field, but it looks like they've been trying just hard enough to get by when they needed to, and I'm okay with that so long as they light the afterburners next weekend.

Lets get 3!

Turn Off Ads?