Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nats to rest starters after clinching - Reds should go for one seed

Nats to rest starters after clinching - Reds should go for one seed

See Article below quoting Davey Johnson. It appears that he does not want the one seed.

The more I think about this, the more I want the Reds to go for the #1 seed. I would rather the see Reds have a short trip to Atlanta or St. Louis, only face the ace of the staff once in the NLDS, and have home field advantage in the NLCS than I would seeing them travel to San Fran, face the ace twice, and not have home field for the NLCS if the Reds win.

The other thing is that the Reds have had so many injuries to position players that I think having them play nearly everyday is worthwhile. It has been a long time since the projected playoff starters all played as a group. Rather than giving a player or two a spot rest each game, I think I would play my playoff starting lineup (assuming they are healthy now) together everyday with the exception of Leake's start.

It looks like Leake is being skipped to set up the playoff rotation and Cueto will start Tuesday against the Brewers. That means that Leake would only get one more start (Saturday vs. the Pirates). I would sit just about all the starters on that day. That means the starters will play four in a row, be off a day, play four in a row, and then be off a couple days before the playoffs. Given the off day today and a day off when Leake goes, that is more than enough rest and will allow them to stay sharp. Perhaps make an exception for getting Frazier a couple starts at 3B, Navarro a couple starts at catcher, and a CF platoon. If a game gets out of hand one way or the other, late inning substitutions can be made. Obviously, if there is still an injury issue that makes this risky, then the Reds should make sure that the particular player is healthy before playing.

Given that I think the one seed is valuable and that the Reds starters could benefit from playing with one another and staying sharp, I think Dusty should instruct the team to play hard for that one seed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nationa...0470--mlb.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Nats to rest starters after clinching - Reds should go for one seed

The Reds should also rest their starters.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds should also rest their starters.
    Because, as we have seen the last two seasons, having a team with nothing to play for the last few games of the season and a rested group of starters is the key to winning the world series. Oh wait.

This is not football. They will be better off playing just about every day and staying sharp in my opinion. I also think the #1 seed gives them a significant advantage.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

I think the starters SHOULD rest!

from November to February.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    Because, as we have seen the last two seasons, having a team with nothing to play for the last few games of the season and a rested group of starters is the key to winning the world series. Oh wait.

This is not football. They will be better off playing just about every day and staying sharp in my opinion. I also think the #1 seed gives them a significant advantage.
    There is a difference between resting them and giving them two weeks off. Starters, go 5-6 innings or 90 pitches, whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There is a difference between resting them and giving them two weeks off. Starters, go 5-6 innings or 90 pitches, whichever comes first.
    I think we are talking about different things. I think Johnson was talking about also resting regular players - i.e. starting lineup position players. I am saying the Reds should not do that - at least not very often. Perhaps my use of the word "starters" in the title caused the confusion.

I am all for limiting the starting pitchers to about 5 inning/90 pitch outings. I think that is smart.

I'm not so sure a team will not have to use its ace on Monday or Tuesday next week if they are fighting for a spot as is. I don't think there is any guarantee of not seeing an ace in the first game, because of how close races are.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I don't know that we want the number one seed. They wont know where/who they play until after the wild card play in game. I'd rather know and prep in advance.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I don't know that we want the number one seed. They wont know where/who they play until after the wild card play in game. I'd rather know and prep in advance.
    I don't know. The flip side of that coin is that your opponent can also prepare for you. If you are the one seed, your opponent certainly cannot prepare for you (they will be busy playing another game). Meanwhile, you can prepare for one of two teams.

I want the best chance possible to win it all. That's having the most games at home, including a decisive game 5/7. We'll have that advantage in the NLDS and WS (should we get there) why would we not want it in the NLCS? Just to know who we're playing a day earlier? Doesn't seem worth it to me. Win the games, stay healthy, and play more games in GABP sounds like the best strategy to me.
    Is it "next season" yet?

I'd rather play the Giants than either WC. All the best record gets you is an extra home game if we face the Nats and it goes seven games. Not saying I don't want the top seed, but would rather have a rested staff even if we have to "settle" for the second- best record.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd rather play the Giants than either WC. All the best record gets you is an extra home game if we face the Nats and it goes seven games. Not saying I don't want the top seed, but would rather have a rested staff even if we have to "settle" for the second- best record.
    So, why do people keep saying this? The Giants with Cain, Bumgarner, Voglesong and Lincecum are probably the best threat to run the table in the NL. They have the probable MVP behind the plate and solid position players all around the diamond with pick-ups Pence and Scutaro along with Sandoval off the DL really fortifying that team. Pagan and Scutaro get on base as well as any top of the order in the league and the middle of Sandoval (127 OPS+), Posey (168), Pence (104) and Belt (123) is very solid.

Throw in the fact that the wild card teams have a play-in game with the potential of burning the ace or tiring the pen before the series even starts and I just don't see how anyone can prefer to travel across the country to face a team with a .580+ winning percentage (in a park that plays exactly opposite of the reds' strengths).

I think people around here don't see enough of the Giants to know how good they are.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, why do people keep saying this? The Giants with Cain, Bumgarner, Voglesong and Lincecum are probably the best threat to run the table in the NL. They have the probable MVP behind the plate and solid position players all around the diamond with pick-ups Pence and Scutaro along with Sandoval off the DL really fortifying that team. Pagan and Scutaro get on base as well as any top of the order in the league and the middle of Sandoval (127 OPS+), Posey (168), Pence (104) and Belt (123) is very solid.

Throw in the fact that the wild card teams have a play-in game with the potential of burning the ace or tiring the pen before the series even starts and I just don't see how anyone can prefer to travel across the country to face a team with a .580+ winning percentage (in a park that plays exactly opposite of the reds' strengths).

I think people around here don't see enough of the Giants to know how good they are.
    With all due respect, the Giants were floundering around 10 - 12 games over until hitting a favorable extended stretch against weak teams that led to their separation from LA. I would say they are only slightly better than the Braves and Cards.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I want to earn the #1 seed. I want to win more games than anyone else. I want a true championship season.

Winning the most games says more about which team is the best than winning the World Series does in my mind. I would rather see the Reds prove themselves as the best team in baseball this year by winning the most games and the World Series.

Leading the league in victories is more impressive than winning only 83 games and the World Series like the Cardinals did a few years ago. Winning the most games is more impressive than finishing in 2nd place and winning the World Series like the Cardinals did last year.

If after a full 162 game season you stand on top of the league then you are the best team. The post-season is a crapshoot, nothing more. The best team rarely wins the World Series. Don't get me wrong I want to win the World Series too, but the old-fashioned league pennant is far more prestigious in my eyes. When I look back through the decades I see great teams that won 100 games. Those are the true champions to me -- not mediocre teams that squeaked into the playoffs and defeated far superior teams in short series. How legendary can a 2nd-place team with 85 wins be?

If the Reds win the most games and then go on to win the World Series it would be a truly great season that would place them on par with the legendary teams of the last century. That would be a tremendous accomplishment. If you want to leave a real mark on history you need to dominate the league.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    With all due respect, the Giants were floundering around 10 - 12 games over until hitting a favorable extended stretch against weak teams that led to their separation from LA. I would say they are only slightly better than the Braves and Cards.
    Even if those teams are exactly equal, I'd prefer:

1. Anywhere but San Francisco's park (with the possible exception of San Diego)
    2. Playing a team that has a "win or go home" game the day before as opposed to a team with time to get its pitching rested and set.
    3. Road games closer to our own time zone.
    4. Home field in the next round if we get that far.

To me its a no brainer. The number one seed is far better than the number two seed without even considering the talent difference which is a wash at best and more likely lines up with the top starting duo in the NL pitching games 1 and 2 in their favorable home park where both guys have ERAs below 2.40.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?