Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: As expected, Hamilton to center for 2013

Re: As expected, Hamilton to center for 2013

I wish he'd play SS, as he's a true difference-maker at that position. However, the Reds' biggest hole, by far, is CF. And some of Hamilton's tools (good arm strength, phenomenal speed, high baseball IQ) play very well as a CF. Scouts insist he's a Gold Glove waiting to happen in the OF, but, IMO, this means his bat will have to be around 50 OPS points higher than were he a SS. He can do it, but it decreases his value.

Hamilton CF
    Phillips SS
    Votto 1B
    LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C

They'll need a LF to produce similarly to Ludwick-- that may very well be Frazier, but I'd prefer a true bopper. Nick Swisher might be a decent option, and, as a SH, he's at least be versatile. He'd also give the lineup something it sorely needs-- obp. Jocketty could also grab a 3B or converted SS to man the hot corner and play Frazier in LF. Or he could re-sign Rolen and semi-platoon he and prospect Henry Rodriguez, hoping for good defense at the least. He could also re-sign Ludwick. Or, best of all, sign one of three Big Bats-- Josh Hamilton, David Wright, or Kevin Youkilis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

sign one of three Big Bats-- Josh Hamilton, David Wright, or Kevin Youkilis.
    One of those is not the others. That would be Youk.

Is this the first sticky given to a thread about an offseason position change for a minor leaguer?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I wish he'd play SS, as he's a true difference-maker at that position. However, the Reds' biggest hole, by far, is CF. And some of Hamilton's tools (good arm strength, phenomenal speed, high baseball IQ) play very well as a CF. Scouts insist he's a Gold Glove waiting to happen in the OF, but, IMO, this means his bat will have to be around 50 OPS points higher than were he a SS. He can do it, but it decreases his value.

Hamilton CF
    Phillips SS
    Votto 1B
    LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C

They'll need a LF to produce similarly to Ludwick-- that may very well be Frazier, but I'd prefer a true bopper. Nick Swisher might be a decent option, and, as a SH, he's at least be versatile. He'd also give the lineup something it sorely needs-- obp. Jocketty could also grab a 3B or converted SS to man the hot corner and play Frazier in LF. Or he could re-sign Rolen and semi-platoon he and prospect Henry Rodriguez, hoping for good defense at the least. He could also re-sign Ludwick. Or, best of all, sign one of three Big Bats-- Josh Hamilton, David Wright, or Kevin Youkilis.
    Reds will not win a free agency bidding war for Hamilton or Wright- nor would I want them to. I wouldn't rule out Youk but only if the cost were <$5MM.

The LF I want if Ludwick walks is Justin Upton. Arizona wants a SS and a veteran SP. The Reds have both of those things to spare. I'd offer them one of two packages:

1. Arroyo, Stubbs, Gregorius + a minor leaguer (Lutz?)
    2. Leake and Gregorius
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Lord I can't help but get excited seeing Hamilton playing in CF instead of Drew Stubbs.
    I love watching Drew play CF. I don't care so much for watching him hit, or not as the case may be.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Reds will not win a free agency bidding war for Hamilton or Wright- nor would I want them to. I wouldn't rule out Youk but only if the cost were <$5MM.

The LF I want if Ludwick walks is Justin Upton. Arizona wants a SS and a veteran SP. The Reds have both of those things to spare. I'd offer them one of two packages:

1. Arroyo, Stubbs, Gregorius + a minor leaguer (Lutz?)
    2. Leake and Gregorius
    Really, you want Justin Upton???

I have never heard you say that before.......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Hamilton CF
    Phillips SS
    Votto 1B
    LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan C

I can see what you are saying, but it doesn't really bother me that much. You have Cozart & Gregorious giving you able SS options that hit from both sides of the plate. Billy might have more value as a SS than CF in general, but with his speed, if he can get on base at a solid clip and defend the position adequately he will have plenty of value in CF also.

The Reds right now are quite shy of two commodities down on the farm - plus OF prospects and leadoff candidates. I believe Billy can take care of both while not taking a corner position. If he doesn't develop into a Plus CF then you can always move him back.

Votto
    Phillips
    Cozart/Gregorious
    Frazier/HRod
    ?????
    Hamilton
    Bruce
    Hanigan/Mesaraco

Finda solid power bat in LF and extend Hanny to a reasonable price and you don't have to worry about your lineup for the next five years at least.

Turn Off Ads?