Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Arroyo been named the #2 playoff starter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Has Arroyo been named the #2 playoff starter?

I keep seeing people complaining about Arroyo pitching game two, but I never saw the rotation announced so I'm just wondering if it has been? I can't believe theyre going with Arroyo in game 2 instead of Latos.

Re: Has Arroyo been named the #2 playoff starter?

ya i dont like it either, would rather have Bailey there than Arroyo

Mark Sheldon had a blog yesterday or the day before that basically said the Reds are going with the 3-man rotation of Cueto, Arroyo and Latos for the NLDS. He implied Bailey would be available in case one of the starters got rocked early in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Mark Sheldon had a blog yesterday or the day before that basically said the Reds are going with the 3-man rotation of Cueto, Arroyo and Latos for the NLDS. He implied Bailey would be available in case one of the starters got rocked early in a game.
    If we go with 3 man rotation and Arroyo gets two starts to Latos getting one Dusty should be fired before the playoffs start so we can have a real chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    If we go with 3 man rotation and Arroyo gets two starts to Latos getting one Dusty should be fired before the playoffs start so we can have a real chance to win.
    The real issue would be Cueto going on 3 days rest in the NLDS #4 potentially, versus starting him on regular rest for NLDS #5 or NLCS #1(extra rest). No matter where the games stand, there is no rush to win #4 if you are ahead 2-1 and if behind you have to win #4 and #5. This all regardless if the 4th starter was blown up 5 days ago or threw a No-No.

Cueto-Arroyo(better road ERA than Latos)-Latos is good order to break up the Reds power pitchers, just need to throw the 4th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    from an article posted a little over an hour ago by Mark Sheldon

The Reds also haven't decided whether or not that they would use three or four starting pitchers. If Homer Bailey doesn't get a start, he would work out of the bullpen in the NLDS.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Everyone knows that the only thing set in stone as far as the playoffs is concerned is that Drew Stubbs will be in center field. It all revolves around speed. And Drew is fast. Very fast.

A potential problem with Arroyo pitching game 2 is that neither our Game 3 or Game 4 starters are available for Game 5. So we could potentially play a game 5 with neither of our best 2 pitchers and Latos having only pitched once. It would be Arroyo, Bailey, or potentially Leake in a game 5 (assuming Cueto pitches game 4).

Why not pitch Cueto and Latos in 1-2 and have them available for 4-5? I just don't get it.

Latos vs. SF this year 2 starts, 16 innings, 6 hits 1 earned run.
    Arroyo vs SF this year 2 starts, 11 innings 16 hits 3 earned runs.
    Now it all makes sense (sarcasm)

its dusty trying to out think everyone with his hard/soft/hard crap

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    its dusty trying to out think everyone with his hard/soft/hard crap
    Thats what she said lol.

I don't think there is any chance he starts Arroyo at GABP. People are reading that into him saying it will start Cueto, Arroyo, Latos. After those 3 start 1-3 I could see him going Bailey, Cueto or Cueto, Bailey or pretty much anything before Arroyo in game 5.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I was originally leaning toward starting Latos and Bailey in games 1 and 2 in SF based on Bailey's stellar road performance of late, but the more I think about it and the more I read this thread, I think I'm climbing on the Cueto / Latos duo in San Fran. The driving reason behind that is so you can pitch them both twice. (if need be)

Latos has allowed only 13 hits, 2 walks, and 2 ER in his last 20 IP. Not trying to take anything away from Arroyo, who was a dependable starter for the Reds this year, but I want Latos pitching as often as possible. Being the #3 starter in a best of five series isn't conducive to that.

Ultimately, I have ZERO control over this so I'm going to stop fretting over it and just enjoy me some Reds October baseball. Bottoms up, friends.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Fay says Homer in game 4, its unreal how dumb it is not to go with him on the road if you aren't going with Latos in game 2.

MLB Network radio (XM radio 89) hammered Dusty today of going with Arroyo in game 2.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?