Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs will start in SF

Re: Stubbs will start in SF

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Wow, 1 for 4, a single, and a play every centerfielder in MLB makes. Hall of Fame, take out a spot for Drew Stubbs. Let's just forget the 3-0 count where he got pitches right down the heart and struck out with a man on first.

When you are praising a guy for going 1 for 4 with a single and cutting off a ball pretty much every player makes, you know he is bad. He had an ok day and you are praising him. That is how much he sucks. OK is worth praise.

Hey, if Stubbs goes on to be the superstar of this playoffs, don't kid yourself. It is luck. Could it happen. Sure. Billy Hatcher was a superstar in 1990 (who was much better than Stubbs that year). Even stranger things have happened. Yet it doesn't make it the smart call.
    You've obviously long ago made up your mind about Drew, so there's little point arguing about him with you. But "every" centerfielder does not make that play in the second inning (specifically keeping a runner from scoring from first on a double in that outfield), in fact, most don't. And there were probably a half dozen times last night that I found myself thinking how comfortable I was having him out there as he made routine plays. If you can't recognize that, for all his faults, the man was born to patrol CF in that park, then you really may be too far gone on the point.

Also, does he deserve no credit for the fact that Cain threw a terrible pitch to BP with Stubbs on base?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Every CF does not cut that ball off without bobble and most CF do make that same play.

And you guys thought Stubbs bothered me! Lol

I've always been a bit on-the-fence about Stubbs. Less so in the past year as I lean more towards his stats telling an all-too-consistent story. He kind of reminds me of Danny Espinosa in DC. Like Stubbs, Espinosa strikes out....a lot. With 189 this year, more than anyone else in the NL. Like Stubbs, Espinosa is very good (if unexceptional) defensively. The main differences are Espinosa hits for power more often (17 HR this year) and has less of a track record.

But, I have a bit different take on this because I'm a leadership guy. Hire good people to run stuff. Then let them do their jobs and just hold them accountable for the results and not the means used to get there.

At the end of the day, teams and those who lead them get measured by wins and losses*

Dusty knows what he's doing. He deserves our support. We don't know all he knows however much we read.

Let's see what Drew does this postseason. Maybe he'll surprise us (and not Dusty). If he doesn't perform, I'd bet we'll see change next year.

* with notable exceptions like Davey Johnson (fired by Marge Schott during our dark period and the O's, both times after winning seasons)
    Last edited by 1940757690; 10-07-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot to define my asterisk

Maybe we will get lucky in the post season with Stubbs, but certainly Walt has seen enough over the last two years to realize we need to find an upgrade in CF in the offseason. These past few months were way beyond dissapointing.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Wow, 1 for 4, a single, and a play every centerfielder in MLB makes. Hall of Fame, take out a spot for Drew Stubbs. Let's just forget the 3-0 count where he got pitches right down the heart and struck out with a man on first.

When you are praising a guy for going 1 for 4 with a single and cutting off a ball pretty much every player makes, you know he is bad. He had an ok day and you are praising him. That is how much he sucks. OK is worth praise.

Hey, if Stubbs goes on to be the superstar of this playoffs, don't kid yourself. It is luck. Could it happen. Sure. Billy Hatcher was a superstar in 1990 (who was much better than Stubbs that year). Even stranger things have happened. Yet it doesn't make it the smart call.
    Dude, I agree with you.

I'm just saying that his start last night was better than the apocalypse I've been predicting. I hope I'm wrong for the rest of the season, cause we know he's gonna be in there.

Stubbs is due for a big night...calling it now. :X

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Stubbs is due for a big night...calling it now. :X
    He nailed the triple. Only one K so far.

Given his strong defense and speed, I don't mind Stubbs being in there...now that he's been dropped to eighth in the order. It's not like our other options are sure bets to rip the cover off the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    Given his strong defense and speed, I don't mind Stubbs being in there...now that he's been dropped to eighth in the order. It's not like our other options are sure bets to rip the cover off the ball.
    I believe dropping to eighth may actually help him...takes some of the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I believe dropping to eighth may actually help him...takes some of the pressure off.

It certainly helps me in that I can view him more by the Cesar Geronimo standard than Pete Rose or Ken Griffey, Sr.

When is the last time Stubbs went 3-3, stole 2 bags, and made a game saving catch.

I will save you the time. It has never happened. Drew Stubbs has NEVER gone 3 for 3 and stolen 2 bases. He went 3 for 3 once, and did steal a base vs. Washington last year. That is the only time it has ever come close to happening.

Everything Drew Stubbs has done in the past shows that if he does have a great game, IT IS LUCK! How may games do you apologists need to watch in order to realize he has no business starting in MLB? You sit there and talk about 1 game. What about the hundreds of games he sucks? The Reds have won despite him, not because of him. He is 1 of the 2 worst regular centerfielders in the game, and very well could be the worst. This is not debatable. Could he suddenly become a hero? Sure. They could pull me out of the stands and maybe I could hit a home run. It would be luck, and you know that because I suck at baseball. Yet it could happen. Doesn't mean it would be a good move. Same thing with Stubbs. Every single thing we have seen for more than a year says he sucks at baseball, at least on the MLB level. If he succeeds at a crucial point, heck yes it's luck. He has proven over and over again any success he might have is luck. His stats are beyond brutal at this point, and anything he does will go against all common sense and reason. It would be complete luck. So my only hope is to believe in Leprechauns, fairies, and Drew Stubbs 3 for 3 nights with 2 stolen bases. The sad part is none of them exist, yet you and Dusty keep believing in them.
    I am no fan of Drew Stubbs (read through any thread since April named Stubbs or Heisey), but to say it is luck and that you have a better chance of being pulled from the stands and hitting a home run is embarrassing. Yes, I would love a new centerfielder, but c'mon man?
    Go Reds!!
    Last edited by P.E.R#14; 10-08-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    He nailed the triple. Only one K so far.
    Beat out a double play too! Looks like I was dead on!

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

When is the last time Stubbs went 3-3, stole 2 bags, and made a game saving catch.

I will save you the time. It has never happened. Drew Stubbs has NEVER gone 3 for 3 and stolen 2 bases. He went 3 for 3 once, and did steal a base vs. Washington last year. That is the only time it has ever come close to happening.

Everything Drew Stubbs has done in the past shows that if he does have a great game, IT IS LUCK! How may games do you apologists need to watch in order to realize he has no business starting in MLB? You sit there and talk about 1 game. What about the hundreds of games he sucks? The Reds have won despite him, not because of him. He is 1 of the 2 worst regular centerfielders in the game, and very well could be the worst. This is not debatable. Could he suddenly become a hero? Sure. They could pull me out of the stands and maybe I could hit a home run. It would be luck, and you know that because I suck at baseball. Yet it could happen. Doesn't mean it would be a good move. Same thing with Stubbs. Every single thing we have seen for more than a year says he sucks at baseball, at least on the MLB level. If he succeeds at a crucial point, heck yes it's luck. He has proven over and over again any success he might have is luck. His stats are beyond brutal at this point, and anything he does will go against all common sense and reason. It would be complete luck. So my only hope is to believe in Leprechauns, fairies, and Drew Stubbs 3 for 3 nights with 2 stolen bases. The sad part is none of them exist, yet you and Dusty keep believing in them.
    Oh, I didn't realize that. Nevermind, then. Debate is over.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    I am no fan of Drew Stubbs (read through any thread since April named Stubbs or Heisey), but to say it is luck and that you have a better chance of being pulled from the stands and hitting a home run is embarrassing. Yes, I would love a new centerfielder, but c'mon man?
    Go Reds!!
    Perhaps you should read it again and think about your post. First of all, I didn't state I had a better chance of hitting a home run. I said I could, but it would be highly unlikely and luck.

Drew Stubbs has shown through hundreds of at bats that he is not a good hitter. If he suddenly hits like Willy Mays, it will be luck. It won't be because someone made a great call and knew he was due.
    Last edited by scott91575; 10-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    Go Reds!!
    +1 Totally agree with you, it is embarrassing.

Turn Off Ads?