Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stubbs will start in SF

Re: Stubbs will start in SF

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    +1 Totally agree with you, it is embarrassing.
    I agree, the reading comprehension on this board is embarrassing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    I agree, the reading comprehension on this board is embarrassing.
    I think the reading comprehension is perfectly fine, though I agree with P.E.R. 14 that Joe Schmoe thinking he can hit home runs by manner of luck (comparing himself to a major league centerfielder, no less) is embarrassing.

I imagine it would take the average person several thousand at bats before they could hit a lucky homerun off of a MLB pitcher, if they could even do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I think the reading comprehension is perfectly fine, though I agree with P.E.R. 14 that Joe Schmoe thinking he can hit home runs by manner of luck (comparing himself to a major league centerfielder, no less) is embarrassing.

I imagine it would take the average person several thousand at bats before they could hit a lucky homerun off of a MLB pitcher, if they could even do it at all.
    It was stating that if I was pulled out of the stands, and actually hit a home run, it would be luck. It is an example of an extreme case. I am not saying I am like Drew Stubbs or as good as Drew Stubbs. I was making the point just because someone does something that actually works out does not mean it was a good call or some well thought out plan. That is why I used that example. Using an extreme example to make a point is not uncommon.

Anyway, we are talking about a guy who OPS'd around .600 for the year. He OPS'd under .400 in Sept/Oct. Just think about that for a second. Under freaking .400 for over a month. Then people (or person) are saying if he succeeds in the playoffs it's not luck, but a good call by Dusty. No, in fact, that is damn near the definition of luck born out of stubbornness. You take something that has proven to be poor over a long stretch of time, with statistically relevant samples, and still continue to do it hoping things change is not only insanity but if it works out is a clear example of luck. Can it happen? Sure. Yet it if does happen, from everything we know, it will be luck. There is way too much data to think otherwise.

Drew could maybe one day turn it around. Yet after all we have seen this year, the thought he will suddenly turn it around in this year's playoffs is not a sound idea. If he suddenly turns into a star in the playoffs, it will indeed be luck. That has been my only point all along.

You make some valid points. If Stubbs remains consistent throughout the playoffs, and clearly that remains to be seen, I dont believe that will be luck. There's no question in my mind that Stubbs has the tools....unfortunately he's gotten progressively worse over the course of the past three years...but he does have the tools. So if he gets it done during the playoffs I will believe it's not luck but him using his talents to string good games together.

He's done it before...like the massive hot-streak he ripped off the 10 games before the trading deadline this year (after which he went completely in the tank). So I'm not going to be fooled again that he's turned the corner...but he does have the ability.

I do know this....when he's in centerfield and the ball's hit in the air in that general vicinity....it's an out.

It was stating that if I was pulled out of the stands, and actually hit a home run, it would be luck. It is an example of an extreme case. I am not saying I am like Drew Stubbs or as good as Drew Stubbs. I was making the point just because someone does something that actually works out does not mean it was a good call or some well thought out plan. That is why I used that example. Using an extreme example to make a point is not uncommon.

Anyway, we are talking about a guy who OPS'd around .600 for the year. He OPS'd under .400 in Sept/Oct. Just think about that for a second. Under freaking .400 for over a month. Then people (or person) are saying if he succeeds in the playoffs it's not luck, but a good call by Dusty. No, in fact, that is damn near the definition of luck born out of stubbornness. You take something that has proven to be poor over a long stretch of time, with statistically relevant samples, and still continue to do it hoping things change is not only insanity but if it works out is a clear example of luck. Can it happen? Sure. Yet it if does happen, from everything we know, it will be luck. There is way too much data to think otherwise.

Drew could maybe one day turn it around. Yet after all we have seen this year, the thought he will suddenly turn it around in this year's playoffs is not a sound idea. If he suddenly turns into a star in the playoffs, it will indeed be luck. That has been my only point all along.

In honor of the 25th anniversary of the Princess Bride, I will tell you that the word you keep using - luck - doesn't mean what you think it means.

Subbs' centerfield play in SF was fantastic. He was getting a GREAT jump on everything hit. Ever since moving to eighth in the lineup, he is more relaxed and his whole game is being helped as a result. He played CF with some serious SWAG in SF. Great thing to see. Way to go Drew, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Subbs' centerfield play in SF was fantastic. He was getting a GREAT jump on everything hit. Ever since moving to eighth in the lineup, he is more relaxed and his whole game is being helped as a result. He played CF with some serious SWAG in SF. Great thing to see. Way to go Drew, keep it up!
    I agree he has looked much more comfortable since being moved. And, not that it matters, but I am much more comfortable with him there!

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    In honor of the 25th anniversary of the Princess Bride, I will tell you that the word you keep using - luck - doesn't mean what you think it means.
    and I don't think you are as clever as you think you are.

Stubbs is terrible. He has 1 at bat to salvage pretty much the worst year out of any regular center fielder in baseball. Good luck with that Stubbs, because as we all have found out, any time you do something good it is luck. Perhaps closing your eyes might help, because keeping them open certainly doesn't.

Oops, my bad. He gets 0 at bats to redeem himself. It only took a whole season and almost 5 playoff games of complete incompetence at the plate for Dusty to finally sit him.

Oops, my bad. He gets 0 at bats to redeem himself. It only took a whole season and almost 5 playoff games of complete incompetence at the plate for Dusty to finally sit him.
    Typical Dusty about 5 moves behind everyone else..

BTW...the only ridiculous string everyone kept raving about

Drew Stubbs scored a run in each of the last two games.

Next

Turn Off Ads?