Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The playoff rotation is just plain idiotic!

The playoff rotation is just plain idiotic!

Our current playoff rotation is just setting us up for failure.

This is how it should be:

Game 1: Latos (AKA The Giants Killer, 2-0 with 0.56 ERA this year).

You need that Game 1. It sets the tone for the entire series. Latos has OWNED the Giants throughout his entire career. Setting him up for Game 1 would've allowed him to pitch a potential Game 5 in Cincinnati.

Game 2: Homer Bailey

9-2 with a 2.45 Road ERA. He is scheduled to pitch (if necessary) Game 4 at HOME, where he is sporting an ERA in the mid 5's. Make's much sense.

Game 3: Johnny Cueto

10-3 with a 2.79 ERA at Home.

Pitching at GABP can be tricky at times. If anyone has mastered to pitch at GABP is Mr. Cueto.

Arroyo should be left off the roster as far as i'm concerned.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: The playoff rotation is just plain idiotic!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post

You need that Game 1. It sets the tone for the entire series. Latos has OWNED the Giants throughout his entire career. Setting him up for Game 1 would've allowed him to pitch a potential Game 5 in Cincinnati.

9-2 with a 2.45 Road ERA. He is scheduled to pitch (if necessary) Game 4 at HOME, where he is sporting an ERA in the mid 5's. Make's much sense.

Pitching at GABP can be tricky at times. If anyone has mastered to pitch at GABP is Mr. Cueto.

That's your opinion....but to say that it is idiotic is going a little far. I don't have a problem with the rotation. Would I like to see Homer pitch in San Fran...sure, but Homer has been pitching good recently, and that includes at GABP. His last home start they showed some stats that showed he was coming around at GABP. Plus with throwing the no-no, his confidence is thru the roof. How about doing some more supporting and rooting for the 2012 NL Central champs and a lot less name calling....just saying dude!!!

I'm not a big fan of Arroyo #2, and I don't know why you need a 4th starter in a short series like this.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac liked the rotation against SFG because Cueto and Bailey are "fly ball" pitchers that theoretically would benefit from pitching in a huge park like AT&T. Then you have your power guy in Latos that can throw in GABP.

IMO, it should be Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Latos. I'm not sure why we wouldn't want our best 2 starters both pitching 2 games.

Cueto is a 19-game winner and a "finalist" for the Cy Young award. He also has pitched in the postseason. No way you can complain about him in game one.

Haivng lived in NYC for two decades, I have seen the benefit of having a crafty and more veteran pitcher going in game two. I have confidence that Arroyo will pitch well enough to give us a good shot to take that game.

Latos and Bailey make sense to me at home - yeah, I know that everyone brings up Bailey's road numbers, but I'd prefer both these guys pitching with the home crowd on their side.

I'd also say that Bailey late season performance has earned him a spot in the rotation. I'd rather roll the dice with him than potentially going with both Cueto and Latos on short rest.

Finally, you have to factor in the bullpen. If Cueto and Latos give you long outings in games one and three, then you got the entire bullpen at your disposal in games two and four.

If I were setting the rotation, maybe I'd do it a little differently, but to call it idiotic is over-the-top, when what we're really doing is splitting hairs.

Why would you expect this? Of course it would be best use of the players available but Dusty hasn't shown the propensity to follow this concept.

I think Cueto's numbers on the road are a bit of an anomaly. His ERA is actually lower on the road. He did pitch a lot of games with funky line-ups.

I can't argue with the ace on the hump in game one.

Arroyo throws enough fly balls that I'm confident pitching him in SF. Latos misses the most bats, so I'm okay with waiting until we get back home to pitch him.

Arroyo in GABP could be scary in the playoffs.

Bakers Dozen

Not pitching your ace in game 1 sends the wrong message, Cueto starts period. You guys over analyze and over think things entirely too much. Also like someone said Arroyo in SF I'm much more confident in as a fly ball pitcher. When he has an off inning at GABP it's like a 5 run inning. Latos has been in a nice groove recently so keep that groove rolling and pitch him at home where the crowd will be jacked. Same goes for Bailey. You have to remember both of those guys are young and are going to feel much more comfortable @ home in the playoff atmosphere.

I think Dusty has put good thought into the rotation and is doing the right thing.

Bumgarner is going in game 2 for the Giants so game 1 is now mega important to our hopes as they have a great match up for game 2 and 4.

2012 Splits
    10-3 with a 2.38 ERA and 1.02 WHIP and .219 BAA at home for Bumgarner
    8-7 with a 3.57 ERA and 1.09 WHIP and .245 BAA on the road for Arroyo
    should have been
    9-2 with a 2.32 ERA and 1.00 WHIP and .213 BAA for Homer on the road

Bakers Dozen

We can get to Cain looking at the games he has pitched his numbers seem to inflate a touch against the better ball clubs. Come on Cueto do your thing! Arroyo pitching with a 1-0 series lead is almost a free roll no pressure which I like. At the same time if we go down 0-1 you have a vet who has been there before.

Also what is so great about Lincecum in game 4? Are we giving him the benefit of the doubt by name because he still is off as hell this year.

Cueto v Cain (ERA over last 3 months worse, than first 3 months, still a stud)
    Arroyo v Bumgarner (September ERA over 5, previous worst month 3.94)
    Latos v Vogelsong (Back to back months with an ERA over 6)
    Bailey v Lincecum (Collective ERA past 2 months well over 4)

At AT&T Park:

Arroyo 0-4, 4.11 era
    Latos 2-2, 1.67

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    At AT&T Park:

Arroyo 0-4, 4.11 era
    Latos 2-2, 1.67
    Besides this year, where he gave up 2 ER in 6 innings in a no decision Arroyo hasn't pitched in a game there since 2009. Not relevant. Even in that game he went 7 innings and gave up 3 ER.

Dusty is BACK!!

Turn Off Ads?