Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012: The Season That Was

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: 2012: The Season That Was

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Just thinking a bit about the season that concluded, I thought I'd start this thread where folks can add in those events to this season that are memorable. Perhaps it's the feats accomplished, debuts or closures. This is not exclusive to the Reds, but throughout all of MLB.

What prompted this was Miguel Cabrera winning the Triple Crown, the first time in 45 years when Yaz did just a year after Robby did as well. And what's up with nary a NL player sniffing a Triple Crown in 75 years? Congrats to Cabrera this this rare stat trifecta.

The A's surprising comeback to sieze the AL West title. I haven't followed that closely, so I was shocked when I realized what everyone was talking about. Like many others, I just assumed the Rangers had that baby sewed up and now they have the one game playoff to stay in the post-season.

And how about those O's? Who would have thought that would happen (other than Heather)? Conversely, what a disaster the Red Sox have been - they haven't finished in last place in 80 years - a place they were very familiar with in the decade leading up to 1932 (last place in eight of the 10 years; the other two were in 7th place).

Seven no-hitters in 2012 - an appropriate number for this year. And three perfect games. I'm guessing both of those may be records, but I don't know for sure.

While still leaving that old batting average nothing to write home about, it was nice to see Adam Dunn come back from this woeful season last year and put up respectable numbers beyond the BA. He'll never be a perfect player, but I like the guy and I'm glad to see his return, warts and all.

I'll leave it to others to add their own thoughts to a very interesting season.
    This was missed but the A's actually won the AL West, not the NL West. I think our upcoming NLDS would look a heck of a lot different if it was the other way, LOL

And just for the record, as much as I love following the Orioles, even I didn't see their season coming this year! I was just hoping they'd finally break through and have a winning season after a LONG drought and making the post season wasn't even on my radar for those guys. And they've had SO many injuries overall that it makes their season even more impressive when you realize how patched together they were at times. I am SO THRILLED for them and hope they take care of the Rangers tonight!

And who would have thought that one of those no hitters would be from our very own REDS and that it would be HOMER BAILEY to throw it??! If you saw that coming, I want lottery advice from you pronto, LMAO

Joey Votto's walk off grand slam versus Washington on Mother's Day stands out as a huge highlight for me for the Reds...mainly because I wasn't even watching the game (the rain delay pushed it back too far and I was watching the Once Upon a Time season finale ) and I only found out when someone I was watching OUAT with got the news texted to her during a commercial break. I thought we'd lost so I was over the moon that we actually won and that Joey had one of his best games of the year. Thanks Joey!

It's been an outstanding season overall and I'm really hoping for great things in the post season!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    This season really has me hoping to see a Reds/Orioles World Series.
    Same here. I've been pulling for that matchup for most of the second half.

The 'stros are retiring from the NL.

B/w the signing of Pujols and Trout's historically great season, someone in LA of anaheim of California must be scratching their head and wondering how they missed the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?