Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Reds TV experiences a bump

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,219

    Reds TV experiences a bump

    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../MLB-RSNs.aspx

    Another strong story was in Cincinnati, where Reds games on FS Ohio are on pace to finish second in overall ratings. Its 8.64 average rating is, by far, the teamís highest local TV rating since at least the mid-1990s and shows renewed interest in a franchise that is set to make the playoffs for only the second time since 1995.





    Good news, maybe they can get some real advertisers with money as opposed to some of the dreck they have had over the past few years.

  2. #2
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good news, maybe they can get some real advertisers with money as opposed to some of the dreck they have had over the past few years.
    What's wrong with www.farmersonly.com?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  3. #3
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    What's wrong with www.farmersonly.com?
    A friend of mine signed me up for that as a joke. After a couple years of not hearing anything I've started getting emails from them again. But I'm city folk, so I just don't get it.

  4. #4
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    I was amazed by how few people are watching the games, especially in the bottom 5 viewership markets. 20,000 a game is just staggeringly bad!

  5. #5
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,477

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I was amazed by how few people are watching the games, especially in the bottom 5 viewership markets. 20,000 a game is just staggeringly bad!
    If it makes a difference, these ratings only measure home DMA. The Reds' number, for instance, only counts the people in the Cincinnati DMA watching the Reds.

    So anyone in Columbus or Dayton are not counted in that number, just as anyone watching the Yankees in Western New Jersey would not be counted.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #6
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,157

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If it makes a difference, these ratings only measure home DMA. The Reds' number, for instance, only counts the people in the Cincinnati DMA watching the Reds.

    So anyone in Columbus or Dayton are not counted in that number, just as anyone watching the Yankees in Western New Jersey would not be counted.
    That probably does make a big difference in Houston, but San Diego has no excuse.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  7. #7
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,477

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That probably does make a big difference in Houston, but San Diego has no excuse.
    That's probably true, but there are a lot of people in Southern California, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people just south of L.A. that watch the Padres in addition to the San Diego DMA.

    Nonetheless, I can't imagine the network is getting what they're paying for the Padres with those numbers. The market isn't overly big to begin with, so they're not cashing in on operator fees, thus these ratings are salt in the wound.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #8
    "So Fla Red"
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    South Florida - The Real Humidor
    Posts
    5,059

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's probably true, but there are a lot of people in Southern California, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people just south of L.A. that watch the Padres in addition to the San Diego DMA.

    Nonetheless, I can't imagine the network is getting what they're paying for the Padres with those numbers. The market isn't overly big to begin with, so they're not cashing in on operator fees, thus these ratings are salt in the wound.
    The Padres are not on TV in the LA market. The MLB blackout map doesn't even show Orange County as black out territory for mlb.com. LA and Orange are LAA and LAD territories. The Padres do claim Vegas (where they would have to be about team #8 on the minds of locals) and parts of AZ including Tucson. That's what made the Padres new mega TV deal earlier this year completely mind-boggling. The Reds dwarf the Padres TV audience.

  9. #9
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,042

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    I like Children's hospitals, but I don't understand why they need to advertise. Seems like that advertising money could be better spent elsewhere.

    Any commercial which eliminates another Fox Sports Ohio Girls commercial is okay with me.

    The Skyline commercials are perturbing, because the nearest one to my house is about 45 miles away.

    What else was there? Nissan Summer Sales event about drove me to never purchase a Nissan in my lifetime.

  10. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,219

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I like Children's hospitals, but I don't understand why they need to advertise. Seems like that advertising money could be better spent elsewhere.

    Any commercial which eliminates another Fox Sports Ohio Girls commercial is okay with me.

    The Skyline commercials are perturbing, because the nearest one to my house is about 45 miles away.

    What else was there? Nissan Summer Sales event about drove me to never purchase a Nissan in my lifetime.
    Garage Doors, JTM (really??)

  11. #11
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,157

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Garage Doors, JTM (really??)
    Book your stay
    At Cincinnati USA

    DOT COOOOM
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  12. #12
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I like Children's hospitals, but I don't understand why they need to advertise. Seems like that advertising money could be better spent elsewhere.

    Any commercial which eliminates another Fox Sports Ohio Girls commercial is okay with me.

    The Skyline commercials are perturbing, because the nearest one to my house is about 45 miles away.

    What else was there? Nissan Summer Sales event about drove me to never purchase a Nissan in my lifetime.
    I see you are in West Central Ohio, I consider Central Ohio Columbus... West Central would be the west side... So... Hilliard/Galloway/Grove City area....

    There is one in Hilliard/Mill Run area... But I'm not a fan so I never go...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  13. #13
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,902

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Any commercial which eliminates another Fox Sports Ohio Girls commercial is okay with me.
    .
    Given the choice of seeing a Sports Ohio girl or Marty+Brantley advertising Montgomery Ribs, I think I'll take the Fox Sports Girls .. Much more pleasant on the eyes.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  14. #14
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,774

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Given the choice of seeing a Sports Ohio girl or Marty+Brantley advertising Montgomery Ribs, I think I'll take the Fox Sports Girls .. Much more pleasant on the eyes.
    Give me Montgomery Ribs every time. "You gotta go with the rib bib!"

  15. #15
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,042

    Re: Reds TV experiences a bump

    They're coming back to me now. Ray St. Clair Roofing...seriously, how big of an area do they cover? Seems like an odd advertising avenue for them.

    What was Marty always hawking, some heating and A/C place? Black trucks with yellow print. Guess that shows how well their marketing concept worked on me.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25