Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN.com Experts pick the playoffs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

ESPN.com Experts pick the playoffs

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012...cts-postseason

There were 28 people involved and they picked the playoffs all the way through.

Here are the number of people who picked the Reds to do the following:

Lose in the first round (out of 28): 15
    Win in the first round (out of 28): 13

Lose in the NLCS (out of 13): 4
    Win the NLCS (out of 13): 9

Lose in the World Series (out of 9): 5
    Win the World Series (out of 9): 4

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: ESPN.com Experts pickt he playoffs

Interesting that no one picked a wild card team.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The A's were picked once and the Rangers were picked once.

Seriously, if at the start of the year you said the Rangers were going to be in the playoffs in 2012 and 28 espn.com experts picked their world series winners, you would have been crazy to think only one of 28 would pick them.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

True, Rangers were picked once. Didn't see it. No one picked an NL wild card team.

I think I counted

Yankees 6
    Tigers 6
    Giants 5
    Nats 5
    Reds 4
    Rangers 1
    A's 1
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...ff-predictions

Knobler and Perry have us reaching the World Series. Perry has us winning it all. Rosecrans picks the Giants to beat us in the opening round, interesting.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I've got four new favorite writers at the worldwide feeder
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

You might as well flip a coin to predict the winners of the WC games, so it's easy to see why hardly any of them would pick a WC team to win, or even get to, the WS.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Re: ESPN.com Experts pick the playoffs

well, considering there's 10 playoff teams now.. 4 out of 28 saying we'll win the WS is pretty good ..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Sometimes I miss the good old days where if you won your division, you were only step away from the WS.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

It’s interesting. The experts are pretty much 50/50 on the Reds, except in the NLCS. It appears that the experts think if the Reds beat the Giants, they will beat the Nats/Braves/Cardinals.

For selfish reasons, I hope it's the Reds/Yankees. Interesting to see that Dave Cameron picked that matchup, although he had the Yankees winning.

I seriously wouldn't count out the Cardinals. If they beat the Braves, I think they will be crazy dangerous. They have the bats, pitching and experience to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

I seriously wouldn't count out the Cardinals. If they beat the Braves, I think they will be crazy dangerous. They have the bats, pitching and experience to compete.
    I agree. Which is why I am hoping Kris Medlen and his 0.97 ERA as a starter this year goes 8 innings and hands the ball off to the most dominant reliever we have probably ever seen. Kimbrel had 4 walks and 60 strikeouts in the second half. In 29 innings. I can't even wrap my head around that.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

It’s interesting. The experts are pretty much 50/50 on the Reds, except in the NLCS. It appears that the experts think if the Reds beat the Giants, they will beat the Nats/Braves/Cardinals.

For selfish reasons, I hope it's the Reds/Yankees. Interesting to see that Dave Cameron picked that matchup, although he had the Yankees winning.

I absolutely agree. Our toughest challenge in getting to the World Series is this first series.

I like this balanced team in a longer series, after they've had a chance to settle in.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Yep, I want the Braves to beat the Cards in the WC too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    well, considering there's 10 playoff teams now.. 4 out of 28 saying we'll win the WS is pretty good ..
    But we are down to 8 before we even play.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It always seems like the division winners hobble into the playoffs and the wild card teams are on a roll. That's what makes it scary trying to predict these things.

I just cross my fingers that the Reds hitters get re-focused and play smart come tomorrow.

Turn Off Ads?