Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell us something about the Reds we may not know

Tell us something about the Reds we may not know

I just learned this about Johnny Cueto.

97. Johnny Cueto's pickoff move. It's a thing of rare beauty. He allowed one stolen base all season -- and picked off nine guys. And the one steal was actually a steal of home by the Dodgers' Luis Cruz.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...mlb-postseason

Feel free to post something else that may not be common knowledge about the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Tell us something about the Reds we may not know

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I just learned this about Johnny Cueto.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...mlb-postseason

Feel free to post something else that may not be common knowledge about the Reds.
    IIRC Luis Tiant had a great pickoff move as well.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

The Reds until the early 20's were partly owned by the Fleischmans Brothers, who owned a giant booze company (along with their yeast business)

They sold their shares to one group and sold their booze company to George Remus (the famous bootlegger and Boardwalk Empire character)

Pat Duncan holds the team record for caught stealing in the season, with 28, he only stole 12, that same year both George Burns and Babe Pinellia got caught 23 and 22 times themselves
    Last edited by westofyou; 10-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.

In HS Scott Rolen was named Indiana Mr. Baseball and came in 3rd in voting for Mr. Basketball . He was heavily recruited in basketball by Kentucky, Georgia, Oklahoma State and Alabama.

Rolen also has a street named after him in Jasper Indiana.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...game-lives-on/
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Jayson Stark says here's what scouts/execs think of the Reds:

"I think the Giants will beat the Reds. The Reds' lineup is so right-handed. That really showed up with [Joey] Votto out. And even though he's back, I don't think he's 100 percent. So facing those Giants right-handers, I don't think they'll score enough." … On the other hand, an AL exec called the Reds "the most balanced team in baseball right now. I love their blend of youth, experience, power and athleticism."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012...ies-prediction
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joey Votto won the season OBP title for all of baseball and it wasn't even close for second place. I wish I had the actual stat in front of me but I saw it via Twitter the other day and now I can't find it again. Work is getting in the way of my baseball fandom right now, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

"I think the Giants will beat the Reds. The Reds' lineup is so right-handed. That really showed up with [Joey] Votto out. And even though he's back, I don't think he's 100 percent. So facing those Giants right-handers, I don't think they'll score enough." … On the other hand, an AL exec called the Reds "the most balanced team in baseball right now. I love their blend of youth, experience, power and athleticism."

I hope the Reds play like they did with Joey Votto out. They caught fire! Nice reporting Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post

And which team(s) did they pick to win it all? Here's that rundown:

Reds 4
    Braves 3
    Giants 3
    Rangers 2
    Nationals 1
    Yankees 1
    Tigers 1
    Not ready to pick 1

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Adolfo Luque, first Latino player in a World Series, pitched one game in the 1919 Series. Not sure if that qualifies as something too many on here didn't know. The guy's in the Reds HOF.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Alfred "Greasy" Neale played OF for the Reds from 1916-1924, was the starting RF for the 1919 World Champs, hitting .357 with 10 hits in the series.

Greasy then went on to a football coaching career. coaching college football from the time he was a player in 1915 until 1940. He then made the move to the NFL, and was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles from 1941-1950, winning 2 NFL Championships in 1948 and 1948.

He was elected to the College Football HoF in 1967, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Alfred "Greasy" Neale played OF for the Reds from 1916-1924, was the starting RF for the 1919 World Champs, hitting .357 with 10 hits in the series.

Greasy then went on to a football coaching career. coaching college football from the time he was a player in 1915 until 1940. He then made the move to the NFL, and was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles from 1941-1950, winning 2 NFL Championships in 1948 and 1948.

He was elected to the College Football HoF in 1967, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1969.
    At Washington & Jefferson, he led his 1921 squad to the Rose Bowl, where the Presidents played the California, and because of he was acoach he missed part of the season as a MLB player

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Joey Votto won the season OBP title for all of baseball and it wasn't even close for second place. I wish I had the actual stat in front of me but I saw it via Twitter the other day and now I can't find it again. Work is getting in the way of my baseball fandom right now, LOL
    Seems to me he had the most unintentional-intentional walks since Barry Bonds.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Seems to me he had the most unintentional-intentional walks since Barry Bonds.
    I just read a thing on Twitter a few moments ago saying that he lead the league in walks despite only playing 111 games this year.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Ed Roush of the Reds was standing on the Walnut Street sidewalk outside the Hotel Metropole on the evening of Oct. 2, 1919, just after the Reds beat the White Sox in Game 2 to take a 2-0 World Series lead, when he first learned of the scandal that would rock baseball.

The Hotel Metropole building is directly across from the Aronoff Center and is currently being renovated into the ultra-chic 21c Hotel Cincinnati.

John Erardi/RedZone talked about this a few years ... it's really interesting.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1211762

Turn Off Ads?