Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Re: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What did Hamilton say after Oakland?
    I am not going to look it up, but ESPN radio played the blurb all day Thursday. Basically, he was dismissive of his dropped fly ball in final game of the season and didn't seem to take responsibility for the error. I know that they like to spin things there, but I have to agree that he didn't seem particuarly concerned about his role in that loss. The implication is that he is not happy about his contract situation and he tanked it the latter part of the season. Who knows, but to me it looks like he will be moving on.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 10-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm surprised you would comment on a ball that was "fairly far out in LF" which you "saw" on radio.
    That's a curious comment considering I said the Reds' broadcast didn't bring it up. How do you think I knew they didn't bring it up if I weren't watching?

I said I was listening to the Pirates' radio broadcast. I did not say I wasn't watching it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

One thing I have to wonder about the Braves... how is that club the best defensive team in the NL? Uggla has always been an absolute butcher at second base. I get the outfield of Bourne, Heyward and Prado. But Chipper is just slightly above average as a defender, and if there is any doubt about him as a Hall of famer it is that part of his game that suggests the controversy. I am assuming that Freeman is good at first, and that they didn't miss much at short whether it was Simmons, Janish or Pasternicky. But, McCann is not a good defensive catcher, and he played way more often than Ross.

So, this was a good defensive club with some glaring flaws. But, how is it better than the Reds, with outstanding defenders at every position on the field day in and day out, with the possible exception of left field when Ludwick is in there (who is still decent)? What metric is in use? Fielding percentage?

I know one thing. The Reds have not played a single ballgame as badly on defense the entire season as the Braves did on Wild Card Friday. That was a pathetic showing for the "best defensive club in the NL". It would be quite a conincidence if they chose their most important ballgame of the season to reveal their flaws.

I do think defense is an aspect of the game that the Reds can exploit in the postseason to win because it is a true attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Phhhl View Post
    One thing I have to wonder about the Braves... how is that club the best defensive team in the NL? Uggla has always been an absolute butcher at second base. I get the outfield of Bourne, Heyward and Prado. But Chipper is just slightly above average as a defender, and if there is any doubt about him as a Hall of famer it is that part of his game that suggests the controversy. I am assuming that Freeman is good at first, and that they didn't miss much at short whether it was Simmons, Janish or Pasternicky. But, McCann is not a good defensive catcher, and he played way more often than Ross.

So, this was a good defensive club with some glaring flaws. But, how is it better than the Reds, with outstanding defenders at every position on the field day in and day out, with the possible exception of left field when Ludwick is in there (who is still decent)? What metric is in use? Fielding percentage?

I know one thing. The Reds have not played a single ballgame as badly on defense the entire season as the Braves did on Wild Card Friday. That was a pathetic showing for the "best defensive club in the NL". It would be quite a conincidence if they chose their most important ballgame of the season to reveal their flaws.

I do think defense is an aspect of the game that the Reds can exploit in the postseason to win because it is a true attribute.
    I would think it would be fielding percentage. That range seems horrible on the infield.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

So the O's are now 75-0 in 2012 after leading after the 7th. This must be the record, right? Who/what was the previous, assuming this is the new record.

Arguing that the "infield fly" call was correct is the most contrarian thing I have ever seen on Redszone, and Lord knows we see a lot of contrarians on Redszone. It was without any question whatsoever one of the worst calls in the history of playoff baseball. The call will live in infamy forever in baseball lore. Ridiculous and embarassing for all concerned. It is a perfect example of why a one game playoff is a joke.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Arguing that the "infield fly" call was correct is the most contrarian thing I have ever seen on Redszone, and Lord knows we see a lot of contrarians on Redszone. It was without any question whatsoever one of the worst calls in the history of playoff baseball. The call will live in infamy forever in baseball lore. Ridiculous and embarassing for all concerned. It is a perfect example of why a one game playoff is a joke.
    I was against the one game playoff as well at first, but I do like that it adds emphasis back on winning the division. I don't think it would've been a big problem if the umps were able to make the calls they make on a daily basis.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The call will live in infamy forever in baseball lore. Ridiculous and embarassing for all concerned. It is a perfect example of why a one game playoff is a joke.
    Or why "human error" should be acceptable at this point in time with the technology we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I was against the one game playoff as well at first, but I do like that it adds emphasis back on winning the division. I don't think it would've been a big problem if the umps were able to make the calls they make on a daily basis.
    True, but it also makes it a lot easier for the inferior team to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or why "human error" should be acceptable at this point in time with the technology we have.
    I agree, but on that play even the most rudimentary brain power would have been good enough. The other umpires should simply have overruled him. It was obvious to everybody that the call was wrong. Just get the call right in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That was my first reaction.

Actually no, my first reaction, and you guys will probably laugh at me for this, was the feeling that the umps were in the tank for the Cards. I know that's completely ridiculous, but then again, so was that play. My brain couldn't even process it.

True, but it also makes it a lot easier for the inferior team to advance.
    Agree on that. I think that's why the play offended me so bad. If the Cards hypothetically won the World Series again, I would be nauseated given how much they scrape by on luck and random variance playing in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There was one called in the Reds game just a few weeks ago that was fairly far out in left field. Against the Pirates, actually. And Reds fans wouldn't have known because it was never mentioned on the broadcast. The only reason I know it was in fact called was because on that day I was listening to the Pirates' radio broadcast and they mentioned it.

They're called a lot more than you think. You probably just don't realize it because usually there's no incident and the announcers don't often point out an infield fly is called, especially when it's in situations where it isn't as obvious. As I pointed out earlier, not all announcers are as cognizant of the rules as they should be. Some probably don't realize that play is still subject to an infield fly and don't know the conditions in which it can be construed.

It absolutely is interpreted and called this way. Always has been. Like I said, you may not realize it because announcers might not know it was called or didn't think to point it out. But it absolutely has always been this way.
    I can honestly say I have never seen it called like this before. You have brought up one instance where it might have happened, but you can cut the abolsute stuff. "Always has been"???? On what basis can you even suggest that claim?

Don Denkenger laughs at your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I can honestly say I have never seen it called like this before. You have brought up one instance where it might have happened, but you can cut the abolsute stuff. "Always has been"???? On what basis can you even suggest that claim?
    Harold Reynolds pointed to a Cubs game where a play was called like this. Castro didn't drop the ball but he was about the same depth as Kozma was. It probably does get called more than we realize.

Harold Reynolds actually thinks the umps got it right. The case he made was compelling. I don't agree with it but at the same time I can see why the ump ruled the way he did.

EDIT: It still doesn't excuse the Braves defensive performance and giving that game to the Cards.

Turn Off Ads?