Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Two questions.... first, is there a "baseline" from 3rd to home? If yes, then how was Ichiro not out of it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two questions.... first, is there a "baseline" from 3rd to home? If yes, then how was Ichiro not out of it?
    I literally came to ask this. What a joke of a play! If that version of schoolyard tag around homeplate is legal, it needs to be banned tomorrow. Such a beautiful game shouldn't allow plays so utterly dumb looking, by a Yankee nonetheless. So mad when I saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I want the Cards to win in 5 games, exhaust the bullpen, and meet the Rdlegs with a home field advantage to Cincinnati.

And then, this team and city exorcises those demons. The beast must be slayed, and its best and most satisfying if done by the Reds.

I don't see exhausted bullpens being the issue when it comes to the playoffs. Last year, both the Cards and Rangers pitched more innings out of the bullpen than starters did and it didn't have a negative impact on each teams ability to make it to the World Series. The amount of off days plus the idea that teams can reorganize their rosters as they see fit seems to make the exhausted bullpen issue a moot point. Besides, the Cards have guys like Shelby Miller waiting to be called in if there is an overstressed bullpen issue. He's a rookie but he's proved more than capable of getting outs when the Cards need him to.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I literally came to ask this. What a joke of a play! If that version of schoolyard tag around homeplate is legal, it needs to be banned tomorrow. Such a beautiful game shouldn't allow plays so utterly dumb looking, by a Yankee nonetheless. So mad when I saw that.
    How true this is, I don't know, but I saw someone explain that it is legal because unlike at other bags, the catcher is allowed to block your path to the plate.

How true this is, I don't know, but I saw someone explain that it is legal because unlike at other bags, the catcher is allowed to block your path to the plate.
    Ugh. I keep looking it up and all I can find is people gawking at what a great play it was. If that's legal, then why doesn't every play at the plate just become ring around the batters box? I can't even imagine how furious Orioles fans must be. He was out by ten feet before that circus started.

Gold glover Derek Jeter gets let off the hook again.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Gold glover Derek Jeter gets let off the hook again.
    Yeah, but didn't you hear the announcer? Jeter tricked him into staying. So that clearly doesn't count as a missed play.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't see exhausted bullpens being the issue when it comes to the playoffs. Last year, both the Cards and Rangers pitched more innings out of the bullpen than starters did and it didn't have a negative impact on each teams ability to make it to the World Series. The amount of off days plus the idea that teams can reorganize their rosters as they see fit seems to make the exhausted bullpen issue a moot point. Besides, the Cards have guys like Shelby Miller waiting to be called in if there is an overstressed bullpen issue. He's a rookie but he's proved more than capable of getting outs when the Cards need him to.
    Mike, stop making sense.

Hey, every game could go 15 innings from here on out...
    sorry we're boring

Jim Thome's helmet looks like an oriole dropped a bird bomb on it.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Agree 1,000%, Mike. In the playoffs, just too many off-days to wear down the bullpen too much. Even if the Cardinals exhausted the bullpen in a five-game series, they'd have two days off before the LCS if I'm not mistaken (or at least one).

In my estimation, an exhausted bullpen will only happen if they were abused in the regular season to begin with. Not saying it can't happen in the playoffs, but all the off days make it harder.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Yay!! The Orioles just won and tied up their series with the Stankees!!!!! GO O's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Very happy for The Orioles.

I'd be all for a Reds-Orioles World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Agree 1,000%, Mike. In the playoffs, just too many off-days to wear down the bullpen too much. Even if the Cardinals exhausted the bullpen in a five-game series, they'd have two days off before the LCS if I'm not mistaken (or at least one).

In my estimation, an exhausted bullpen will only happen if they were abused in the regular season to begin with. Not saying it can't happen in the playoffs, but all the off days make it harder.
    Plus lets not forget that the Cardinals, along with all the pitching staffs in the playoffs, have starters that will give them quality innings. Wainwright, Carpenter, and Lohse have the ability to give the Cardinals 7 strong innings even pitch complete games. There isn't a pitching staff in the playoffs right now that doesn't have those types of guys.

Plus lets not forget that the Cardinals, along with all the pitching staffs in the playoffs, have starters that will give them quality innings. Wainwright, Carpenter, and Lohse have the ability to give the Cardinals 7 strong innings even pitch complete games. There isn't a pitching staff in the playoffs right now that doesn't have those types of guys.
    I don't think you can say that about Carpenter right now. He doesn't have stamina yet, I don't think he can be counted on to ride. I'm hoping you can take the series, while I've seen enough of the Cards/Reds matchups this year, I like our chances and the homefield advantage, although the Nats are not playing their best ball of the year either.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I was thinking the same thing. But we see guys take those really wide turns around 3rd all the time. I can't imagine that there's NOT a rule about that. I think the ump missed that one because he was focused on whether Wieters' tagged him or not. And I don't want to pick on the ump there simply because that was a fabulous call on the missed tag and him beating Wieters to the dish. But some clarification sure would be nice.

Turn Off Ads?