Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Re: Postseason Scoreboard watching....

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I watch about 250 beaseball games per season, since MLB came into effect.

I have never seen an infield fly called in this manner. Never. Ever.

So, for something that you suggest is a routine application of the rules, it would appear that it's never called.
    That's why I asked if anyone had the tools to find out the deepest infield fly calls in recent years. I would love to know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No big celebrations should be in the WC game. Just one in unison sigh of relief from the winner would be proper.
    Yep, no champagne until you actually win something. Just moving on doesn't count. A banner flying must be involved. I don't even think there should be a champagne celebration after the NLDS.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Change the Red Sox stuff to Yankees gear and this photo is how I feel right now.

"I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    This just highlights the stupidity of a one-game playoff.
    I think it enforces why they added an extra wildcard. How upset now are the Rangers for not winning their division? Ironically, there would have been a one-game playoff even if this were last season, but regardless, this 50/50 game just adds to the importance of winning your division rather than settling for a wild card.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I am beyond thrilled for the Orioles. I have more Orioles fans in my life (and, consequently, more Orioles sportswear) than just about any other team. This is a magical team and it is about time for their fans.

That said, Texas is approaching extreme levels of close-but-no-cigar heartbreak. In first place through the entire season except a couple days in April and October 3. Then eliminated in one do-or-die game. On top of everything else the last few years. Their fans' psychological complexes start here, I think.

Also, guys, it is possible to be happy for the Orioles without it being about the Yankees. In fact, in my (biased) opinion, it cheapens it. This is a wonderful and lovable team on its own merits. The most exciting thing is to watch them win, not just to beat another team you hate. I'm rooting for the Yankees, but all the same it's hard for me to want them to "beat" this team.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Super excited for the Os and their fans. Its about to be a party in Baltimore as the Os come home. Happy for everyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I watch about 250 beaseball games per season, since MLB came into effect.

I have never seen an infield fly called in this manner. Never. Ever.

So, for something that you suggest is a routine application of the rules, it would appear that it's never called.
    There was one called in the Reds game just a few weeks ago that was fairly far out in left field. Against the Pirates, actually. And Reds fans wouldn't have known because it was never mentioned on the broadcast. The only reason I know it was in fact called was because on that day I was listening to the Pirates' radio broadcast and they mentioned it.

They're called a lot more than you think. You probably just don't realize it because usually there's no incident and the announcers don't often point out an infield fly is called, especially when it's in situations where it isn't as obvious. As I pointed out earlier, not all announcers are as cognizant of the rules as they should be. Some probably don't realize that play is still subject to an infield fly and don't know the conditions in which it can be construed.

It absolutely is interpreted and called this way. Always has been. Like I said, you may not realize it because announcers might not know it was called or didn't think to point it out. But it absolutely has always been this way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

If you guys want to continue to argue about the danged infield fly thing, can you take it to another thread all ready? I can't be the only one who's highly annoyed about it now.

I am SO proud of this Orioles team. They are very similar to the Reds in that they are a true team of guys who pull for each other, work hard to do things the right way, and just seem to know how to win even when it seems like they should lose. I love that they're shining so brightly in the national spotlight right now and I want that BADLY for our guys starting tomorrow night!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Yeah, I love it that the Orioles won. It's a very important franchise that baseball kind of forgot for a while... kind of like the Reds. They beat a club tonight that fell into the trap of believing they could throw piles of cash at players and win, which is always inspiring. Plus, they fought the Yankees down to game 162 and an argument can be made that they deserve this shot at them in the division series. I enjoyed tonight's game a lot.

What is hard to watch is how bad Josh Hamilton's situation has evolved. I am a fan, but I think you have to question his motivation after what we saw in Oakland, his response in the media after that ballgame, and to a lesser extent what happened tonight. I saw Ron Washington's presser after the game, and you could detect the disappointment when asked about Hamilton... paraphrasing "you get what you get with him, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't..." It is pretty obvious he is done there, and that Josh can't get out of there fast enough. You have to wonder if he is going to get anywhere near what he obviously feels he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    If you guys want to continue to argue about the danged infield fly thing, can you take it to another thread all ready? I can't be the only one who's highly annoyed about it now.

I am SO proud of this Orioles team. They are very similar to the Reds in that they are a true team of guys who pull for each other, work hard to do things the right way, and just seem to know how to win even when it seems like they should lose. I love that they're shining so brightly in the national spotlight right now and I want that BADLY for our guys starting tomorrow night!
    I'm not seeing the issue. It's a topic that happened in a postseason baseball game and a thread about postseason baseball. It seems relevant to me to discuss the merits of the call. By all means, Heather, if you want to discuss the Orioles with the many folks that are talking about it, go for it. The call though is relevant to one of the two games that happened tonight.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phhhl View Post
    Yeah, I love it that the Orioles won. It's a very important franchise that baseball kind of forgot for a while... kind of like the Reds. They beat a club tonight that fell into the trap of believing they could throw piles of cash at players and win, which is always inspiring. Plus, they fought the Yankees down to game 162 and an argument can be made that they deserve this shot at them in the division series. I enjoyed tonight's game a lot.

What is hard to watch is how bad Josh Hamilton's situation has evolved. I am a fan, but I think you have to question his motivation after what we saw in Oakland, his response in the media after that ballgame, and to a lesser extent what happened tonight. I saw Ron Washington's presser after the game, and you could detect the disappointment when asked about Hamilton... paraphrasing "you get what you get with him, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't..." It is pretty obvious he is done there, and that Josh can't get out of there fast enough. You have to wonder if he is going to get anywhere near what he obviously feels he deserves.
    What did Hamilton say after Oakland?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm not seeing the issue. It's a topic that happened in a postseason baseball game and a thread about postseason baseball. It seems relevant to me to discuss the merits of the call. By all means, Heather, if you want to discuss the Orioles with the many folks that are talking about it, go for it. The call though is relevant to one of the two games that happened tonight.
    I think she is actually referring to the 300 posts on one bad call. Her complaint has merit because almost nothing else happening in the post season can be discussed...

I have no idea how the Orioles keep winning, but I'm pulling for them. Heck of a game by Saunders. I'm hoping Reds v O's.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There was one called in the Reds game just a few weeks ago that was fairly far out in left field. Against the Pirates, actually. And Reds fans wouldn't have known because it was never mentioned on the broadcast. The only reason I know it was in fact called was because on that day I was listening to the Pirates' radio broadcast and they mentioned it.
    I'm surprised you would comment on a ball that was "fairly far out in LF" which you "saw" on radio.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I think she is actually referring to the 300 posts on one bad call. Her complaint has merit because almost nothing else happening in the post season can be discussed...

I have no idea how the Orioles keep winning, but I'm pulling for them. Heck of a game by Saunders. I'm hoping Reds v O's.
    Who's stopping you, her or anyone else from discussing the Orioles? I see plenty of discussion on Baltimore. I'm not stopping you. I doubt anyone else debating this with me is trying to stop you.

Is it not possible for someone to exercise their self-filter and respond to what they want to discuss? I imagine if people want to talk about the Orioles bad enough, they'll do so. No one is stopping them.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Also, guys, it is possible to be happy for the Orioles without it being about the Yankees. In fact, in my (biased) opinion, it cheapens it. This is a wonderful and lovable team on its own merits. The most exciting thing is to watch them win, not just to beat another team you hate.
    Aw, c'mon: embrace the hate, V. I'm a part of the evil empire, and by the sounds of things, so are you. Do what I do, and bask in the indignant hatred and insignificant whining of plebians who are clearly jealous of the Yankees' success.

Or maybe I've just watched too much pro wrestling, and spent too much time cheering for the bad guys.

In any case, I really don't derive any joy from having to face the Orioles in the ALDS. It's a likeable team, and a great story, and even worse: beating Buck Showalter is like beating one of our own. Granted, one of our own who never won anything, but still.

It's not nearly as bad as how I'd feel if the Yankees had to beat Don Mattingly in the World Series, but it's also not entirely pleasant.

Go Yankees. But also: go Reds. Let's have us a World Series where I'll want the Reds to win, but where -- no matter what -- I won't be a loser!

Rick

Turn Off Ads?