Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baker returning in 2013?

Re: Baker returning in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Dusty does step down as manager, I think there's a chance Cast and Walt convince TLR to come out of retirement.
    I asked that awhile back to C. Trent and he pretty much said... Heck No.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I remember awhile back in the middle of the season Brantley and Marty talking about this situation. Brantley made the comment that there may be a contract on the table waiting for him to sign it and hes just waiting until the season ends to do so. Ive never been a Duisty hater and have for the most part thought he does a good job with this group of guys. Id take him for 2 or 3 more years as long as hes healthy. This group of guys responds so well to him if he doesnt come back we better get a "players manager".
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    With Francona taking the job in Cleveland, Im now terrified what might happen if Dusty *doesn't* return.

-Matt
    I think if Dusty doesn't return, either Chris Speier (Reds bench coach) or David Bell (Bats manager) will get the job. One or both of them may be gone if Dusty does get re-upped...they're both considered top managerial candidates in baseball circles.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I think if Dusty doesn't return, either Chris Speier (Reds bench coach) or David Bell (Bats manager) will get the job. One or both of them may be gone if Dusty does get re-upped...they're both considered top managerial candidates in baseball circles.
    Please. No more Dave Mileys or Jerry Narrons. Get a guy that has experience at the MLB level who has won. We've tried hiring an assistant and a successful minor league manager and the result has been lots of losing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Please. No more Dave Mileys or Jerry Narrons. Get a guy that has experience at the MLB level who has won. We've tried hiring an assistant and a successful minor league manager and the result has been lots of losing.
    There is a difference between hiring a minor leage journeyman like Miley or a retread like Narron and hiring a hot up and coming name on the market. At one point, David Bell was reportedly a rising star as a manager, not sure if he has cooled. A couple other names in the organization to keep an eye on might be Delino Deshields and of course Corky Miller. Jim Riggleman is more an example of the journeyman type that I wouldn't be interested in. If he gets a major league coaching gig, I wouldn't be surprised to see managers in the system bumped up a level with Corky getting a shot to start his managerial career somewhere in the low minors.

Another posiibilty that wouldn't surprise me, if Baker should decide to step down, is Bryan Price. The Reds already have his replacement in place with Mack Jenkins serving as assistant pitching coach. Price slides in to the top spot, Jenkins becomes the pitching coach and maybe Corky slides into Jenkins current role (and mentors Mes as well). Nobody really knows, but it just seems like Price is the organization's choice (IIRC he was Walt's only hire among the current staff) and adding Jenkins to the mix to assume some of Price's duties may be a move to free Price for bigger and better things. Just reading the tea leaves and that could be way off base, but its fun to speculate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I agree that they were both pretty bad but I'd blame the losing far more on the pitching staffs or lack thereof than the manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Once again, I think Reds fans are used to some very inexpensive, ineffective choices. Thankfully, Walt and Bob don't see it that way. Or don't seem to.

The decision to hire Dusty was a realization that you need a proven baseball manager, or if not someone with lots of baseball experience and high aptitude.

I really doubt they will name David Bell as manager of the Reds if a change is made this off-season.

Frankly, I doubt Speier gets the job. Price is more intriguing, he's a possibility. From what I can tell, Price is a very smart, experienced, and able coach.

But mostly, I think the Reds will seek out a proven manager, someone Walt knows from his former life, and simply insist that he keeps some of the Reds better coaches, like Price.

I hope Dusty returns, but if not, look probably for a guy with managerial experience with whom Jocketty has a relationship and who will work with Bryan Price. And look perhaps for David Bell to join the major league coaching staff.

If Dusty doesn't come back - maybe he's wooed back to LA - I fear the Reds will go the Jim Tracy or Bobby Valentine route.

I still say try to lure a guy like Bud Black away from his current job.

If that's not an option, I'd look to Mike Hargrove, Dave Martinez, and Don Wakamatsu.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Reds will be fine either way if Dusty stays or leaves, but please oh please make sure Bryan Price stays here! The pitching staff is the driving reason why the Reds are so good right now, and Bryan Price is a key reason the pitching staff is so good. Keeping him should be the front office's highest priority this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    If Dusty doesn't come back - maybe he's wooed back to LA - I fear the Reds will go the Jim Tracy or Bobby Valentine route.
    Jim Tracy should be nothing to fear about. Bobby V on the other hand
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

UPDATE

Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen

RT @Hydeman3: any feeling from Dusty about his future beyond winning the world series?//Seems he will return

Turn Off Ads?