Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The infield Fly

Re: The infield Fly

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    He never reached the spot where the ball landed. Never.
    You're right, it might have been 6 inches behind his feet.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1502489/stlerror.gif
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    You're right, it might have been 6 inches behind his feet.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1502489/stlerror.gif
    More like 2 feet.

I don't think the rule should apply if the ball falls beyond the infield behind the infielder. Realistically, if the ball is dropping behind the infielder, he's going to have to get the ball, turn, and throw. Only if the runners are really slow will a double play result. Otherwise, it would have to be fielded by an outfielder running in, in which case the infield fly rule doesn't apply. Maybe for the sake of clarity, they should add an infield fly line to the field. If the ball falls beyond the line, the rule does not apply.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    More like 2 feet.
    2 feet or six inches is still less than a step back. So it doesn't matter on a pop fly.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    2 feet or six inches is still less than a step back. So it doesn't matter on a pop fly.
    It does matter, he was NOT camped under it. He probably (most definately) could have caught it but even if he had it was never a "camped" under it situation.

I think the rule should not have been applied, however it is a judgement call and the LF umpire (why is an outfield umpire calling an Infield fly???) used his judgement. Maybe some good will come out of this, like perhaps some clarification on when to use this rule, or maybe just the fact that only an infield umpire can make the determination (playoffs only), something.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    It does matter, he was NOT camped under it. He probably (most definately) could have caught it but even if he had it was never a "camped" under it situation.

I think the rule should not have been applied, however it is a judgement call and the LF umpire (why is an outfield umpire calling an Infield fly???) used his judgement. Maybe some good will come out of this, like perhaps some clarification on when to use this rule, or maybe just the fact that only an infield umpire can make the determination (playoffs only), something.
    Yeah something needs to be fixed because that was just outrageous and baseball needs to make sure it never happens again. Embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Without the rule would lead to a lot of bunting when you have two runners on, as teams wouldn't want to risk the now increased chance of a double play.

Put your hand up if you want more bunting.
    I see Dusty has both hands up in the air.

I figure I have watched somewhere around 2,500 MLB baseball games in my life, either in person or on TV. In all those games, I can never recall seeing a call by an ump on an "infield fly" like that one. Maybe I'm misjudging, but it seems to me that it's not right to have seen a call being made for the first time in the playoffs. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    I figure I have watched somewhere around 2,500 MLB baseball games in my life, either in person or on TV. In all those games, I can never recall seeing a call by an ump on an "infield fly" like that one. Maybe I'm misjudging, but it seems to me that it's not right to have seen a call being made for the first time in the playoffs. That just doesn't seem right to me.
    Agreed. It was simply a terrible judgement call.

Turn Off Ads?