Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 15 NL teams vs. 15 AL Teams

15 NL teams vs. 15 AL Teams

With the move of the Astros to the AL next year, there will be an Inter-League series at every point of the season next year. Case in point, Angels vs. Reds to start off the season. I am fine with this for the balance, equal number of teams in each league. What I don't understand is this: Why the Astros? And why did not the Brewers moved instead. The Brewers were in the American league not to long ago, they were the natural move. Is it a stupid question to ask, but did Bud Selig's involvement with the Brewers and MLB keep this from happening, so the Brewers could have that natural rival against the Cubs? I like the rivalry against the Cubs, St. Louis, and even the Indians to some extent, but the Brewers? They are like that odd cousin that appears every other Thanksgiving.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 15 NL teams vs. 15 AL Teams

Houston was the perfect team to move. There was an ongoing ownership change that allowed them to make the move, they are a natural fit to the AL West, which is the division that needed a team, and they have a natural rivalry with Texas. I really think the right decision was made. Very minimal shakeup will be needed. I doubt any other team was even considered, and it certainly wasn't Bud's involvement with the Brewers that kept them from being considered.

I can assure that I have not talked to or heard any other Houston Astros' fan say they are pleased with the move. But that didn't stop Selig from bending this franchise over.

I thought Colorado or Arizona should have moved to the AL West and Houston to the NL West. But, my opinion counts for zero.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    I thought Colorado or Arizona should have moved to the AL West and Houston to the NL West. But, my opinion counts for zero.
    Yep. A half of century tradition as an NL team meant nothing to dear ole Bud. None of the teams wanted to go to A.L. but the Astros happened to be up for sale at the time. So it was, "Bend over, Houston, you've got a problem".

I don't mind Houston going. Milwaukee makes more sense on some levels, but on other levels Houston makes more sense, as stated above.

What I truly like now is the same amount of teams in both leagues. It's always bothered me a bit that there wasn't.

What also (still) bothers me is there are divisions with less teams than other divisions. During this stint, the Central had SIX teams while there was a division with 4 teams! Just frustrated me.

Would it have bothered you if they sent the Reds to the American League?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Would it have bothered you if they sent the Reds to the American League?
    Lord we'd have the worst DH's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Lord we'd have the worst DH's ever.

You have that right. Willie Harris got to DH this year.

Turn Off Ads?