Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honestly, why haven't the Cubs won a WS Ring in 104 years?

Honestly, why haven't the Cubs won a WS Ring in 104 years?

This truly perplexes me. I understand if, say, the small market teams like the Reds, or the Tampa Bay Rays, or the Oakland A's didn't win in 104 years. That's understandable to some degree.

But it makes no sense with the cubs!!

They abide in a huge market in Chicago. Every day and night the stadium is packed. Heck, 2012 was an abysmal year for the Cubs yet they still ranked 5th in attendance. They have the funds to build and create a championship caliber team..but can't..in over 104 years.

Makes no sense, at all. Are the Cubs management that clueless on how to create a winner? I just can't fathom on why big market teams like the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cardinals, Giants, can all win World Series titles but for the cubs it's like some foggy mirage.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Honestly, why haven't the Cubs won a WS Ring in 104 years?

It's the goat man...blessed curse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It's the goat man...blessed curse!!!
    No offense, but I see the "goat curse" as nothing but pulling straws as easy answers.

Yeah, they have been milking that "goat curse" for too long now.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

It was just a half hearted attempt at some humor man. Overall I think its poor club management a some bad luck!!!

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    This truly perplexes me. I understand if, say, the small market teams like the Reds, or the Tampa Bay Rays, or the Oakland A's didn't win in 104 years. That's understandable to some degree.

But it makes no sense with the cubs!!

They abide in a huge market in Chicago. Every day and night the stadium is packed. Heck, 2012 was an abysmal year for the Cubs yet they still ranked 5th in attendance. They have the funds to build and create a championship caliber team..but can't..in over 104 years.

Makes no sense, at all. Are the Cubs management that clueless on how to create a winner? I just can't fathom on why big market teams like the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Cardinals, Giants, can all win World Series titles but for the cubs it's like some foggy mirage.
    When did the St. Louis become a big
    market?

i think some big market teams shoot themselves in the foot in free agency every year.

Every off season there are a select number of FAs to go after. And the Yanks, Sox, Angels(recently) are the ones that have been getting the cream of the crop.

Once teams like the Cubs, Dodgers, Mets lose out on the A calibre FAs they have a feeling of desperation because the Yanks, Sox, and Angels are still going after the B calibre FAs so the Cubs, Mets and Dodgers overpay for B level FAs to keep them away from the Yanks etc.

They end up paying max dollars to B level guys. And also usuall lack farm depth b/c they will do the sort of thing in the trade market and just get stuck in this mediocrity.

They should really build their team w/in the organization like the reds, rays, etc and sign their own guys to long term deals. An ability the Rays, Reds dont always have. They will end up younger, more athletic and not overpay looking at the outside FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    When did the St. Louis become a big
    market?
    In terms of payroll the Cards are 7th in MLB. The rest of the top 10 save the Marlins are your perennial playoff teams. The bottom 20... not so much.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Salukifan2

Cardinals have 22nd largest media market. St louis media market is the same size as Portalnd Oregon or sacremento

Cardinals have 22nd largest media market. St louis media market is the same size as Portalnd Oregon or sacremento
    Yet they ranked in the top 10 in attendance in all of the MLB, and there salary ranks in the top 10 as well.

But yet they have a far larger fan base regionally to draw from for various reasons leading to higher revenues due to having some of the highest average ticket prices in the game despite not being in a major market and tons of people willing to pay it.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    But yet they have a far larger fan base regionally to draw from for various reasons leading to higher revenues due to having some of the highest average ticket prices in the game despite not being in a major market and tons of people willing to pay it.
    Seriously? take a look at how many large cities that are within an hour and a half of cincy. I count 4. Cincy is the 35th largest media market in the country. Around them they have Louisville 50th largest, Indianapolis 25th largest, Columbus is 32nd, and dayton is 64th. All of these cities have interstates that can get you to Cincy in an hour and a half or less and none of them have baseball teams. Cincinnati has tremendous media market for baseball. Cincinnati is not a small market if st. louis is a large market.

And the cubs haven't won a championship because their fans will continue to sell out games even when they are complete crap. This idea that if a fan base totally sticks with their team even when they are consistently cellar dwellers for over a century is an amazing, and loyal fan base is ridiculous! If you want your team to win you have to give ownership and the front a reason to make them win!
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Seriously? take a look at how many large cities that are within an hour and a half of cincy. I count 4. Cincy is the 35th largest media market in the country. Around them they have Louisville 50th largest, Indianapolis 25th largest, Columbus is 32nd, and dayton is 64th. All of these cities have interstates that can get you to Cincy in an hour and a half or less and none of them have baseball teams. Cincinnati has tremendous media market for baseball. Cincinnati is not a small market if st. louis is a large market.
    Those teams do have baseball teams who they all support greatly. Dayton has a the best drawing team in the MWL at 8,532 fans a game this year, that's over 3K more than 2nd place. Columbus is 2nd in the IL with 8,732, Indianapolis is 2nd with 8,501 and Louisville is 4th at 8,143 and for good measure Toledo is 5th at 7,870. Then when people also have the Tigers close to NW Ohio and the Indians in the NE.

So even without Toledo you're looking at those towns having 33,908 show up per home game. If the Reds got 1/3 of those people to come to a Reds game per game they would be drawing more than the Cards did this year.

Also the Cardinals have the KMOX ties with generations of people in the central US growing up as Cards fans listing to them on the radio since KMOX was one of the most post powerful stations on the air and passing it down to their kids. The Rays manager Joe Maddon grew up a Cards fan listing to the games and he lived in PA

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Those teams do have baseball teams who they all support greatly. Dayton has a the best drawing team in the MWL at 8,532 fans a game this year, that's over 3K more than 2nd place. Columbus is 2nd in the IL with 8,732, Indianapolis is 2nd with 8,501 and Louisville is 4th at 8,143 and for good measure Toledo is 5th at 7,870. Then when people also have the Tigers close to NW Ohio and the Indians in the NE.

So even without Toledo you're looking at those towns having 33,908 show up per home game. If the Reds got 1/3 of those people to come to a Reds game per game they would be drawing more than the Cards did this year.

Also the Cardinals have the KMOX ties with generations of people in the central US growing up as Cards fans listing to them on the radio since KMOX was one of the most post powerful stations on the air and passing it down to their kids. The Rays manager Joe Maddon grew up a Cards fan listing to the games and he lived in PA
    Seriously hometown!? Thats really why you think the people in those cities don't come to Reds games!? they're too busy supporting there minor League Franchises with under 10,000 people a game! Give me a break man. Thats ridiculous. And i know those people in that part of ohio aren't REds fans. Thats why i left toledo, canton and Akron off my list. and they aren't within an hour and a half which the cities need to be within to be relevant to my argument which was clearly laid out in my earlier post.

If you count the total metro population of cincinnati and all major towns within 100 miles (Indy, Columbus, Dayton, Louisville, and Lexington) the total is over 8.3 million and you could probably tack on another million from all the medium sized towns in that area. You all have to stop feeling sorry because of being small market because if you really look at it geographically, you aren't small market at all..
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-16-2012 at 06:34 PM.

If you count the total metro population of cincinnati and all major towns within 100 miles (Indy, Columbus, Dayton, Louisville, and Lexington) the total is over 8.3 million and you could probably tack on another million from all the medium sized towns in that area. You all have to stop feeling sorry because of being small market because if you really look at it geographically, you aren't small market at all..
    Well then who do you consider 'small market?' There are very few MLB teams I would consider 'small market' by your standards.

Turn Off Ads?