Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The excellence of Brandon Phillips

The excellence of Brandon Phillips

Shades of Eric Davis taking Dave Stewart deep from Phillips tonight. And then the diving save behind Votto. And then the big two out hit in the ninth.

I think that deserves a song.

That Dude - The High Decibels - YouTube
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The excellence of Brandon Phillips

And his baserunning of avoiding the double play was an incredible play too. He was money tonight.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I was just thinking about the ED reference myself when looking back on the Phillips homer. Cueto goes down, we're feeling pretty uneasy and then Phillips takes Cain deep to give the Reds a lead they'd never surrender the rest of the game.

Tonight was Reds baseball. One down, 10 to go.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

One of the most underrated players in baseball IMO, seeing as most (ie: non-Reds fans, and even some Reds fans) focus far more on issues involving his personality instead of production and skills.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I mentioned in the game thread.....a great night for a national television audience to see BP perform in the way that we always get to see him.

And a great post game interview, very classy.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    One of the most underrated players in baseball IMO, seeing as most (ie: non-Reds fans, and even some Reds fans) focus far more on issues involving his personality instead of production and skills.
    What's wrong with his personality? He's extremely personable and ALWAYS smiling.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

He's the best player on our team, even with a healthy Joey Votto. Brandon is the best all around player. Defense, offense, showing up big in big time games.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Twitter went nuts after his Matrix move to avoid the tag (other team's players were totally geeking out over it ) and I loved it too! What a great night for Brandon!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    What's wrong with his personality? He's extremely personable and ALWAYS smiling.
    I'm completely with you. But I'm sure you have seen or heard the comments. "Arrogant", "thug", "punk", "liar", "race-baiter" and on a lesser level "show off", "hot dog", etc. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said 'perceived' personality.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

"Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm completely with you. But I'm sure you have seen or heard the comments. "Arrogant", "thug", "punk", "liar", "race-baiter" and on a lesser level "show off", "hot dog", etc. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said 'perceived' personality.
    Yes, I have to defend him continually to my baseball buddies. That's the perception of many non-Reds fans, and obviously....completely wrong.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    He's the best player on our team, even with a healthy Joey Votto. Brandon is the best all around player. Defense, offense, showing up big in big time games.
    Disagree. A healthy Votto is a GG 1B with a 1.05 OPS. Brandon is super good, but Joey is a truly elite all-around player.

That said, great night tonight by BP. Very glad to see him shine on a big stage.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't see the point in direct comparisons, but Phillips should leave here being the best franchise player since Larkin. It's a privilege to watch him play, possibly the most entertaining player in the game for years now. He loves the attention and pressure, thrives on it. He carried that team tonight like Eric Davis.

An incredible trade by Krivsky when you think about what was given up. The thing that I admire the most about Phillips is that since the very beginning, he's always wanted to be with the Reds. He's continued echoing that, even when the team was bad. Truly loyal to Cincinnati.

Oh yeah, and he's been a very good player. Outside of his first year in Cincinnati, he's averaged around 4 wins every season since.

I was for the extension, though I wasn't sure about that last year, but you know what, if Phillips continues playing the way he has, it will easily be worth it.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Tremendous game for Brandon. Bruce wasn't too bad either.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?