Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Frazier in Game 2?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Frazier in Game 2?

Anyone think he'll start at 3B?

I doubt we'll see it, but I'd really like to.

The offense could use the bat, especially against the lefty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frazier in Game 2?

No, and his bat has been brutal in Sept/Oct. Not that Rolen has been anything to write home about. Rolen's Sept/Oct OPS is .629. Guess what Frazier's Sept/Oct OPS was. Yeah, .491. There has only been 1 worse player on the team the last month with any regular playing time, and his name is Drew Stubbs (who has an incredible .387 OPS in that time).

Adding in a worse bat is not the answer.

Unless there's a day game after a night game. Frazier is the key pinch hitter when he have a big run producing opportunity.

If and when we get to the WS... Frazier will be in the LF/DH mix with Ludwick.

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

I don't see Frazier starting in either this series or the LCS due to his cold bat and absence of any playoff experience. Rolen's experience is much more valuable in a playoff lineup even if Rolen isn't hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Unless there's a day game after a night game. Frazier is the key pinch hitter when he have a big run producing opportunity.

If and when we get to the WS... Frazier will be in the LF/DH mix with Ludwick.
    As much as I like Frazier, I'll have to disagree as to whom the key pinch hitter is. In my opinion it's XP. That guy has come off the bench and delivered key hits all season long. I guess it does depend on the pitching situation, but all things equal...I'm sending the X man up there.

Frazier should start but probably won't.

I think Rolen should start because of his defense. He pretty much was perfect over there yesterday except for that one running throw.

Rolen was making good contact yesterday, he had nothing to show for it but he was making good contact.

Doesn't matter this year.

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Doesn't matter this year.
    I'm with Ironman. I also don't think it matters whether Frazier or Rolen starts. Either is a threat as a pinch-hitter with runners on. Both get the job done in the field although Rolen as a clear advantage defensively.

Rolen. Please.

Of course you know Scotty's a friend but instead of my usual Scotty rant...I will look at both sides...Frazier will probably be an 'All Star' & who knows, maybe 'HOF'...If he was hitting the way he was while Joey was gone then you would have to give him strong consideration to replace Scotty...

However, he hasn't been hitting like he was & I think he's tightened up maybe trying too hard...Playing 'third' is really difficult & we have gotten use to Scotty's play & sometimes don't realize how good he really is...No he won't make those huge diving catches he used too because he knows that would be his last play of his career...I don't think Frazier, especially under pressure will make enough plays that we need him to...Scotty doesn't hit nearly as well in cold weather & if we need his hitting & it cost us a game then you may have to look at Frazier...I've watched Scotty in two 'WS' when he was one of those 'redbirds'...The first against Boston when they were swept he got no hits & Albert had one...The next one that they won, most people said Scotty should have been MVP...But he sure has the experience & that is worth alot...Time will tell....

As great as it'd be to see Frazier starting, I'm in the Rolen camp here. Millions of words are spent arguing whether and how much post season experience matters. Maybe most can agree the answer is: some undetermined amount generally. Likewise on momentum, which maybe more would agree is important. Regrettably, those two work against Frazier here.

I think of him a bit like Bryce Harper here in my town. They both produced big time when needed this year. They're both super talented rookies who, barring injury, should have long productive seasons. The difference is that, as herculean what Frazier did this year, Harper put up bigger numbers and is peaking (or still climbing--we'll know shortly) now.

Do think Frazier will impact this ride, though. Either in a spot start day game like someone upthread speculates or from the bench.

These aren't the 2010 Reds. They will go...All the Way.

I like Rolen in today's game and Frazier in a game at GABP. Postseason experience is vital, especially on the road where the atmosphere can be intimidating for some players. Rather ease Todd into things at GABP.

Rolen looks ok. He is consistent and feeling the best he has all year.

Turn Off Ads?