Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dusty - Game 1 Pitching Decision

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dusty - Game 1 Pitching Decision

So many people bang on Dusty on a daily basis here (I do it too), but there needs to be a thread for what I think may have been one of his most difficult decisions in years during a game.

Game 1 of an NLDS, a series we think the Reds can win, and your ace goes down two batters in.

Instead of just throwing Latos out there to warm up on the mound like a reliever, they put LeCure out there while Latos goes through as normal a warm up as possible. Of course it worked out as well as it could despite the trouble LeCure ran into.

I applaud Dusty "big time" for this one. He and Pryce made a decision that was just as important as the play on the field.

Re: Dusty - Game 1 Pitching Decision

This win is absolutely a result of the complete team, managers and players! Dusty and Bryan deserve alot of credit for the decisions they made last night.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    This win is absolutely a result of the complete team, managers and players! Dusty and Bryan deserve alot of credit for the decisions they made last night.
    Yup, that's the thing with this team; a new hero each night. For one of the first times, I think everyone (alright, probably not everyone) can agree Dusty was one of the heroes last night.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Tough decision. Well played by Dusty and everyone.

And not to mention, by only using Latos for 4 innings, he will surely be able to start game 4 or 5.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Bingo...latos will be able to still pitch in this series if need be....and not game 7...possible game 4 if needed

What i don't get is why Cueto would be brought back for Game 3 when Bailey can start that one? Why would you need to start Cueto for it, even if he is healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    What i don't get is why Cueto would be brought back for Game 3 when Bailey can start that one? Why would you need to start Cueto for it, even if he is healthy?
    Who would you rather pitch a crucial playoff game for the Reds, Cueto or Bailey? And pitching Cueto in game 3 puts him in pace to pitch game 2 of the NLCS if the Reds get there.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Who would you rather pitch a crucial playoff game for the Reds, Cueto or Bailey? And pitching Cueto in game 3 puts him in pace to pitch game 2 of the NLCS if the Reds get there.
    Bailey on normal rest of Cueto on some sort of unknown rest? That is the better question. All things being equal, of course you pick Cueto. But we don't know at all that things are equal.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey on normal rest of Cueto on some sort of unknown rest? That is the better question. All things being equal, of course you pick Cueto. But we don't know at all that things are equal.
    How is Cueto's rest "unknown"? Every pitch of his is logged. And there weren't very many last night.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Completely agree. If Cueto's back is still bothering him, no need to start him, but they should plan as if he's fine and the adjust.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I think if the Reds are up 2-0, you'll see Bailey in Game 3. If not, you'll see Cueto if things go ok between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    So many people bang on Dusty on a daily basis here (I do it too), but there needs to be a thread for what I think may have been one of his most difficult decisions in years during a game.

Game 1 of an NLDS, a series we think the Reds can win, and your ace goes down two batters in.

Instead of just throwing Latos out there to warm up on the mound like a reliever, they put LeCure out there while Latos goes through as normal a warm up as possible. Of course it worked out as well as it could despite the trouble LeCure ran into.

I applaud Dusty "big time" for this one. He and Pryce made a decision that was just as important as the play on the field.

Price made this decision...and Dusty agreed.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Price made this decision...and Dusty agreed.
    Doesn't matter to me too much, it's Dusty's butt that is on the line. I give Price credit too though.

Turn Off Ads?