Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Pitching - Arroyo tonight. Reds have Simon, Hoover, and Arredondo completely available and rested for relief. Of course, other relievers are available too, but some worked much last night. Lecure least likely reliever after almost two innings last night.

    If Arroyo has early trouble, Bailey could pitch, he's now had three days rest after a brief start Wednesday.

    Position players - Lefty pitching for SF. Only question I see is whether Navarro gets a start. He's a switcher, but hits lefties well. My guess is Hanigan starts, same lineup as yesterday.

    Future games - Seems to me Tuesday night is Cueto or Bailey. Really not a big deal which one starts - as long as the other is ok for Wednesday. Then Latos would be available for Game 5, Arroyo as a backup if early trouble.

    Problem only arises if Cueto can't go. Then I assume they will use Homer Tuesday, Latos Wedneday, Arroyo Thursday, with the last two guys working on three days rest.

    Giants have a deep rotation with Vogelsong, Lincecum, Zito, no idea who will pitch the later games of the series. Don't see many changes in Reds starting lineup in any event. Maybe Navarro catches once. Maybe Heisey faces a righty at GABP over Stubbs. Maybe no changes at all.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,184

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Future games - Seems to me Tuesday night is Cueto or Bailey. Really not a big deal which one starts - as long as the other is ok for Wednesday. Then Latos would be available for Game 5, Arroyo as a backup if early trouble.
    Take it for what it's worth -- I'm sure they'll keep an eye on Cueto and adjust accordingly -- but Reds' probable pitchers are up on the website and they have Latos for Game 3, Bailey for Game 4, and TBD Game 5. Giants do not have pitchers announced beyond tonight.

    (or is that leftover from before Latos's four innings?)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Take it for what it's worth -- I'm sure they'll keep an eye on Cueto and adjust accordingly -- but Reds' probable pitchers are up on the website and they have Latos for Game 3, Bailey for Game 4, and TBD Game 5. Giants do not have pitchers announced beyond tonight.

    (or is that leftover from before Latos's four innings?)
    I think that's based on the original plan, VP. Obviously Latos isn't working Tuesday, I think the website will have to be adjusted in light of the events last night.

  5. #4
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,184

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think that's based on the original plan, VP. Obviously Latos isn't working Tuesday, I think the website will have to be adjusted in light of the events last night.
    Yes, you're right. I could look this up, but does anybody know offhand how many pitches Latos threw last night?

    Going to be interesting to see how the Reds use the bullpen on Tuesday if they go in 2-0 and end up in a tight game that night.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Yes, you're right. I could look this up, but does anybody know offhand how many pitches Latos threw last night?

    Going to be interesting to see how the Reds use the bullpen on Tuesday if they go in 2-0 and end up in a tight game that night.
    Yes. I don't want to be greedy, but Chapman worked a lot last night (many pitches) so you hope his pitch count can be limited tonight. Don't want him all fatigued for GABP. Also, Broxton is better with some rest, as I understand.

  7. #6
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    If Cueto isn't available to pitch by the homestand, I believe you'll see him go on the Post Season DL (Read about that somewhere last night) and Leake will get the ball.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,130

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Aroldis Chapman has never thrown in game after he threw 28+ pitches the day before. He threw 28 last night.

  9. #8
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Maybe they'll light it up tonight and won't need Chapman.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    If Cueto isn't available to pitch by the homestand, I believe you'll see him go on the Post Season DL (Read about that somewhere last night) and Leake will get the ball.
    Doubt it.

    There is a special rule that if you are put on the DL during the playoffs, you can't return that series OR the next series.

    So if Cueto goes on the DL he can't return until the World Series.

    Reds would only do this if the injury was pretty serious.

  11. #10
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,934

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    If the Reds win today, I really hope they use Bailey in Game 3 so that Cueto could be available for a possible Game 1 in the NLCS.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  12. #11
    Reds Slacker '07 RedsMan3203's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,784

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doubt it.

    There is a special rule that if you are put on the DL during the playoffs, you can't return that series OR the next series.

    So if Cueto goes on the DL he can't return until the World Series.

    Reds would only do this if the injury was pretty serious.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure how that rule worked...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

    Jockstocks Homepage

    Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If the Reds win today, I really hope they use Bailey in Game 3 so that Cueto could be available for a possible Game 1 in the NLCS.
    Completely agree. If the Reds win today and use Bailey for game three, they have the possibility of Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo for any games four and five.

    The only way I see Cueto pitching Tuesday, realistically, is if the series is 1-1. And even then it may be Bailey.

  14. #13
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Hanigan has been Arroyo's catcher since David Ross left town. I don't see Navarro getting a start. I could see Frazier getting the call at 3B against the lefty though.

    Pitching wise, the pen is in rough shape. Broxton and Chapman both threw a lot of pitches. Marshall should be available.

    I'm going out on a limb predicting big games for Drew Stubbs and Bronson Arroyo with the Reds coming home 2-0.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,306

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hanigan has been Arroyo's catcher wince David Ross left town. I don't see Navarro getting a start. I could see Frazier getting the call at 3B against the lefty though.

    Pitching wise, the pen is in rough shape. Broxton and Chapman both threw a lot of pitches. Marshall should be available.

    I'm going out on a limb predicting big games for Drew Stubbs and Bronson Arroyo with the Reds coming home 2-0.
    I kind of disagree about the bullpen.

    When you consider the circumstances last night, it's amazing the Reds have Hoover, Simon, and Arredondo completely fresh. Marshall didn't work that hard either.

    Brox threw a bunch of pitches, but he can throw to a couple of batters tonight.

    Only issue I see is Lecure (likely out) and Chapman who threw 28 pitches. And I'd guess Aroldis can still work an inning if necessary although hopefully they'll win without need for him.

    As for Frazier, tonight would be a good night with Arroyo, a fly ball pitcher, going. Rolen's defense might not be missed.

    Still, like Rolen at SF, he knows how to hit in the big stadium. I'm guessing Scott plays again.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: Who's pitching, who's playing, NLDS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I kind of disagree about the bullpen.

    When you consider the circumstances last night, it's amazing the Reds have Hoover, Simon, and Arredondo completely fresh. Marshall didn't work that hard either.

    Brox threw a bunch of pitches, but he can throw to a couple of batters tonight.

    Only issue I see is Lecure (likely out) and Chapman who threw 28 pitches. And I'd guess Aroldis can still work an inning if necessary although hopefully they'll win without need for him.
    I hope they can avoid both Brox and Chapman and that is why I refer to the pen as being in rough shape.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25