Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not that anyone should be surprised, but the Cardinals are crying again

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

Re: Not that anyone should be surprised, but the Cardinals are crying again

It's too bad that a sciaphobia (fear of shadows) pandemic has spread so quickly in St. Louis. I hear there are 25 reported cases at Busch Stadium alone. Maybe we should all take up a collection and hire the Cardinals a shrink. NOT!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Paul Francis Sullivan wrote on article on the Reds today in which he said the following:

The Reds and their fans could have had a lot to complain about at the start of this postseason. They won 97 games and had to start on the road against Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner. That is not fair. But the Reds did not care if it was fair. They just won. That's what champions do.

That's exactly what we've been saying on this thread the last few days (with one minor exception). By contrast, part of Tony LaRussa's legacy is that he left a culture of complaining behind him when he retired. It's going to take a few years for it to wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFaninAfrica View Post
    Paul Francis Sullivan wrote on article on the Reds today in which he said the following:

The Reds and their fans could have had a lot to complain about at the start of this postseason. They won 97 games and had to start on the road against Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner. That is not fair. But the Reds did not care if it was fair. They just won. That's what champions do.

That's exactly what we've been saying on this thread the last few days (with one minor exception). By contrast, part of Tony LaRussa's legacy is that he left a culture of complaining behind him when he retired. It's going to take a few years for it to wear off.
    cute hat

Culture of complaining? I don't know if that's accurate. No excuses were being made. Just being asked if the shadows impacted the game, they said yes, for both teams. Matt Holliday, "I don't know if you noticed but both teams had trouble squaring up."

All game, the announcers were discussing how difficult the shadows were making the game, but were the Cardinals have mentioned the shadows making the game tough, and they still won that game, would the "whiner" label be placed on them? Honest question.
    Last edited by cw0802; 10-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks guy,

Let me set the record straight. I've been yanking your chain the last few days on this thread, but actually I respect you for hanging out in enemy territory and keeping us all honest.

Thanks guy,

Let me set the record straight. I've been yanking your chain the last few days on this thread, but actually I respect you for hanging out in enemy territory and keeping us all honest.
    Thanks Buddy. I edited my last post. Honestly, I want to see your opinion.

I know i'm biased, but when everyone is saying something, i don't see how it's complaining and whining?

Quote Originally Posted by cw0802 View Post
    I know i'm biased, but when everyone is saying something, i don't see how it's complaining and whining?
    If you or I said it to our buddies, NO one would consider it whining or complaining. But like it our not, fair or not, when prominent ball players make such comments in the national press, it always gets perceived as making excuses, especially by those who aren't predisposed to like them. It's part of being famous. What you can say at the breakfast table, you can't say in the press room. Just a little piece of wisdom that I hope Brandon Phillips is beginning to learn.

Something Sir Charles Barclay never learned and that's why the press loved him so much.

So, are we still friends?
    Last edited by RedsFaninAfrica; 10-09-2012 at 02:52 PM.

If you or I said it to our buddies, NO one would consider it whining or complaining. But like it our not, fair or not, when prominent ball players make such comments in the national press, it always gets perceived as making excuses, especially by those who aren't predisposed to like them. It's part of being famous. What you can say at the breakfast table, you can't say in the press room. Just a little piece of wisdom that I hope Brandon Phillips is beginning to learn.

Something Sir Charles Barclay never learned and that's why the press loved him so much.

So, are we still friends?
    I have no bad blood here. I've always tried to be respectful of those here...though I will, on a rare occasion, throw out the WS titles or the Game 6 epic as my trump card.

I for one don't dislike the Reds at all, with the exception of Cueto for obvious reasons. I am capable of saying that he deserved to be an All-Star. Very talented team with some great personalities and I'm not surprised they're up 2-0 on the Giants.

I think we can all agree that Nyger Morgan is a joke, right?

I think we can all agree that Nyger Morgan is a joke, right?
    Ahhh! Some common ground.

foxfire i live in il near stl and i hate most cards fans to.i hear the same stuff to.plus i'm tired of hearing 12in12 by cards fans.also have had cards fans get in my personal space at games.they get in my face when i'm minding my own damn business.some cards fans are nut cases.i have lived all over the usa and people in the stl metro area are the biggest jerks i have ever meet in my entire life.
    please check out my baseball site.plenty of reds,phillies and astros pictures.http://shannonsbaseball.webs.com/

holyood11

Wow, that's pathetic. Good for Craig, though. He gained respect from me with that commment.

Quote Originally Posted by shan12stones View Post
    some cards fans are nut cases.i have lived all over the usa and people in the stl metro area are the biggest jerks i have ever meet in my entire life.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Conversing with others talking about playoff baseball. If you want me to stop posting, stop responding. Seriously... why do you keep responding...seriously.... seriously
    Let me ask you again: What serious Cardinals fan is posting on a Reds message board during a Cardinals playoff game? You're 'conversing' by defending your whiny team. You're not actually talking baseball which is probably a good thing.

cute hat

Culture of complaining? I don't know if that's accurate. No excuses were being made. Just being asked if the shadows impacted the game, they said yes, for both teams. Matt Holliday, "I don't know if you noticed but both teams had trouble squaring up."

All game, the announcers were discussing how difficult the shadows were making the game, but were the Cardinals have mentioned the shadows making the game tough, and they still won that game, would the "whiner" label be placed on them? Honest question.
    The point is that why even complain about the shadows as Holliday did? There's no point. Just shut up and play the game. We're talking about shadows, not the game, not the game I love watching. We're talking about shadows man. Shadows. Come on man.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Let me ask you again: What serious Cardinals fan is posting on a Reds message board during a Cardinals playoff game? You're 'conversing' by defending your whiny team.
    Multi-tasking? When I listen to Reds games on the radio, I don't just post here. I'm on a couple different forums. Perhaps, the guy just likes to get other perspectives.

I'm as much a Cardinals hater as the next guy but that's the team, not the fans. In truth, he's been a goodly competitor and hasn't resorted to the old Steelers tactic of waving championships in our faces.*

So there.

* Funny story. After the Steelers won their fifth Super Bowl, one of my nephews all of a sudden became a fan. During a Bengals-Steelers game, we were ragging on each other. Then he held up his hand and showed me his five fingers. He asked if I knew what that was. I said, yeah, it's the hand you used to climb on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The point is that why even complain about the shadows as Holliday did? There's no point. Just shut up and play the game. We're talking about shadows, not the game, not the game I love watching. We're talking about shadows man. Shadows. Come on man.
    The topic was raised that the Cardinals were whining about the shadows. I'm simply debating that it wasn't whining. If they were blaming the loss on the shadows, sure, whining. Heck, i hated it when La Russa would bring up stuff like lights in a stadium, or stealing signs. But there's a difference between whining, and being asked for comment about something the local and national media were discussing. Especially when other players for other teams were asked about it and said just about the same thing.

The reason the Reds haven't had the opportunity to comment on something like that...they're playing a major market team so they're getting the prime time game.

Jason Heyward and other Braves barked about the Wild Card playoff time because, the sun and shadows are especially difficult at that time. Braves announcers attibuted Uggla's missed ball because the sun was in his eyes. Is this all whining and crying too?

SO i again ask, when other teams and players openly discuss the same thing the Cards do, why is it not complaining?

But again, at least none of the Cardinals players called someone a racist on Twitter.

p.s.

I'll never throw the world series titles in your face. That's just poor sportmanship! You know what the Cards have and what they've done. You don't need me telling you that.

Turn Off Ads?