Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both Ludwick & Madson decline options with Reds

Both Ludwick & Madson decline options with Reds

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/85...me-free-agents

CINCINNATI -- Reds outfielder Ryan Ludwick became a free agent Wednesday after declining his $5 million contract option for next season, looking for a bigger deal after his strong second half played a big role in Cincinnati winning the NL Central title.
    Relief pitcher Ryan Madson also became a free agent Wednesday after declining a mutual option. The right-hander needed reconstructive elbow surgery after tearing a ligament during spring training and missed the entire season.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/85...me-free-agents

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Both Ludwick & Madson decline options with Reds

I can't believe madson declined his side of the contract. (boras probably talked him into it) or he just knew for a fact the reds weren't going to pick up that option

Quote Originally Posted by vin19 View Post
    I can't believe madson declined his side of the contract. (boras probably talked him into it) or he just knew for a fact the reds weren't going to pick up that option
    It would have been a smart gamble to take even if the Reds planned on picking it up. He gets 2.5M to walk and has some big money teams in the market for a closer this winter. He should find a deal at least breaking even if you add in the buyout and will likely have a shot to close.

If the Yanks open up the checkbook and bring back Rafael Soriano then the Tigers could take the 9M they were paying Valverde this year and give it to Madson for a year to hold down the fort until Bruce Rondon is ready to take over the role in 2014 after a year of grooming in a lesser role.
    Last edited by HometownHero; 11-01-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Ludwick wants to be here but also want some job security I can see them getting a 2 year deal worth 14-15M with maybe an option year in there if push comes to shove.

I'd let Ludwick go. He had a really good run for about 1.5 months last season and was not so good to terrible the rest of the time. No consistency. I can't see him putting together two more years of consistent productivity especially since he stunk it up the last three years before this season.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    It would have been a smart gamble to take even if the Reds planned on picking it up. He gets 2.5M to walk and has some big money teams in the market for a closer this winter. He should find a deal at least breaking even if you add in the buyout and will likely have a shot to close.

If the Yanks open up the checkbook and bring back Rafael Soriano then the Tigers could take the 9M they were paying Valverde this year and give it to Madson for a year to hold down the fort until Bruce Rondon is ready to take over the role in 2014 after a year of grooming in a lesser role.
    I dont get how this stuff works; mutual option that he turns down so we pay him yet another 2.5 million to never play for us? Seems if the player turns it down the buyout would/should be void IMO.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I'd rather see them pick up Youk for a year and put Frazier in left than spend 15 million on Ludwick. I totally see him getting the money and reverting back to the Ludwick for the first half plus of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I'd rather see them pick up Youk for a year and put Frazier in left than spend 15 million on Ludwick. I totally see him getting the money and reverting back to the Ludwick for the first half plus of the season.
    I like this also. Youk + Frazier should = Rolen and Ludwick production. Although Rolen and Luddy were real positive clubhouse guys, according to most reports. Use the $$ saved to find a CF/leadoff guy.

I'm intrigued by Madson. Throughout the season, he re-iterated his desire to come back to the Reds. He's worth a shot, but at a low-cost, incentive laden deal. Maybe in his mind, he feels bad for taking 8.5 million for nothing. We can dream, can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I dont get how this stuff works; mutual option that he turns down so we pay him yet another 2.5 million to never play for us? Seems if the player turns it down the buyout would/should be void IMO.
    Curious about that myself. I know theres some contract-savvy folks here and I don't have the time to research myself this afternoon. Anybody able to weigh in on this?

Smart move for both of them. From what I read a while back Ludwick wants to stay though, so hopefully we can agree on a contract that's good for both of us.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Looks as if Jocketty wants everyone back. Broxton, Madson, Ludwick and Navarro.

That's interesting to me, if Jocketty is saying there's interest on both sides to bring Madson back, that means Chapman to the rotation right?

1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Homer
    4. Bronson
    5. Chapman

Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Its just a way to move money around. We were pushed up to the payroll limit in 2012 so he took just 6M when he was worth more. In that 6M he deferred 2/3 of the money until today and then this date next year lowering the present day value of the contract helping out the Reds. To do that for them they pushed off some of the money he was worth until 2013 when we had more payroll flexibility.

So to make it simple it was going to basically be a 1 year 8.5M deal from day one with him going back out this year looking for his big contract like he got voided by the Phillies management, but the Reds had to play games to find a way to play him for 2012.

It was a smart move by Walt getting him at a reduced rate it just didn't work out. Would have been nice if he could have pitched and at the deadline we could have added a CF or a bat of some type rather than Jonathan Broxton and we may have finished off the Giants in game 3.

I personally don't pay Ludwick much more than he made this year. He had a good second half and we have to contribute at least part of that bump to GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I personally don't pay Ludwick much more than he made this year. He had a good second half and we have to contribute at least part of that bump to GABP.
    We'll be playing 82 games at GABP next year so that's fine with me.

Turn Off Ads?