Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey

Homer Bailey

Tomorrow nights game was originally scheduled for Matt Latos and had the Reds known Cueto would not have been able to pitch I feel like Homer would have started last night however I feel like Homer will be effective tomorrow at home even coming off the high of a No Hitter.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This is the year

Re: Homer Bailey

whats the word on cueto? I thought it was a possibility of him going on tue....?

I believe it was officially announced yesterday that Bailey would be going in game three...which makes sense. After winning the first game, we knew that Game 3 would not be an elimination game, and we knew that Homer would be taking the hill once in Cincinnati.

This gives the Reds an extra day in case they need Cueto. And in a worst case scenario, allows us to go with Latos in game four and Arroyo in game five if Cueto can't go (though both would be working on a day less rest).

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    whats the word on cueto? I thought it was a possibility of him going on tue....?
    With 2-0 lead, the Reds are able to be cautious with Cueto and don't need to rush him back. If there is a Game 4, Cueto will probably go then.

I like Homer pitching. We have a chance of winning game 3 no matter who is on the mound. If we can take the NLDS without having to put Cueto in on short rest/recovery he will get the extra time needed to get healthier.

We prayed for a split and won both games. Not only did we win both, but we silenced the entire San Francisco area and fan base, especially with how we played on Sunday night.

I am in love with this team!

Do we give him some type of multi-year deal this year?

2013 Status 1st-Year Arb Eligible,
    Earliest Arb Eligible: 2013,

Earliest Free Agent: 2015

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aileho02.shtml
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Do we give him some type of multi-year deal this year?

2013 Status 1st-Year Arb Eligible,
    Earliest Arb Eligible: 2013,

Earliest Free Agent: 2015

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aileho02.shtml
    I would be all for offering him a deal very similar to the one the Reds signed Cueto to a few years ago.

I wouldn't be so quick to lock him up. Granted, he was better this year than in the past. He was spectacular in the last few games he pitched. But, I would wait until after next season. Let's see if he continues to progress or return to inconsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to lock him up. Granted, he was better this year than in the past. He was spectacular in the last few games he pitched. But, I would wait until after next season. Let's see if he continues to progress or return to inconsistency.
    I feel like his season this year was very comparable to the one that Cueto had before he got his deal and that a similar deal would benefit the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I'm of the mind to see what his value would be on the trade market.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm of the mind to see what his value would be on the trade market.
    I would hate to trade this guy away after patiently waiting for him to develop in the major leagues and go through major growing pains (after bringing him up too soon, IMO) only to see him have his most productive years for another club. I say keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I would hate to trade this guy away after patiently waiting for him to develop in the major leagues and go through major growing pains (after bringing him up too soon, IMO) only to see him have his most productive years for another club. I say keep him.
    Agreed

despite homer's solid season, folks on this site still are skeptical and label him a 4/5 starter. let me ask one question, if you had a choice of your game 5 playoff starter vs. SF who would it be? your second choice? most likely, homer is NOT your 4th or 5th choice.

I certainly like Bailey as a 4th starter, and maybe even a number 3; but not more than that. I don't think he's shown the stuff or consistency to be considered more at this point. I know that he can throw hard, but good velocity doesn't necessarily equal "great stuff". Bailey seems to have to be pretty fine with his pitches to have really good success. All that being said, however, what's wrong with Bailey being a good 4th/3rd starter? Why does he have to be more before he's considered a success? Is it because he was the teams No. 1 pick one year? If so, I believe that lots of No. 1 picks don't succeed at the level Bailey has. In my opinion, Bailey is already a success and he doesn't have to be anymore than he is for me to feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    despite homer's solid season, folks on this site still are skeptical and label him a 4/5 starter. let me ask one question, if you had a choice of your game 5 playoff starter vs. SF who would it be? your second choice? most likely, homer is NOT your 4th or 5th choice.
    Of course. But it's a different year. You have to assess from year-to-year. 1 good year out of Homer doesn't convince me he's 'got it.' I never said trade him. I just said I'd seriously put out feelers to see what his value would be. We have some pitching depth in our organization.

Turn Off Ads?