Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: National Radio Rant

National Radio Rant

Sorry to rant, but I am so upset with the national morning radio shows. First off, Mike & Mike only want to talk football. Period. And at that, they spend too much time talking about Greenberg's favorite team, the Jets. He tries to bring every conversation around to the Jets.

You would think with the Division Series starting that MLB would get a pretty good presence on the show, right? Wrong. Regular season NFL is all they want to talk about.

And when they do get around to baseball, it all comes back to the Yankees series. They pretty much only mention the Reds series when they read the scores. No real talk about how they had to pull a rabbit out of their hat Saturday night with Cueto going out. Nope. But you can bet if they Yankees had lost Sabathia after 2 hitters and won, that is all they would have talked about.

Sorry, I know this is kinda childish to rant about, but why can't these national shows talk about things besides the NFL and NY teams?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: National Radio Rant

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Sorry, I know this is kinda childish to rant about, but why can't these national shows talk about things besides the NFL and NY teams?
    Ratings
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Ratings
    Yeah, I know...but here in Indy, I think we only have 2 choices for over the air morning sports shows.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

More people = more interest

Why even go there for what you need, you don't go to a cat house for love

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    More people = more interest

Why even go there for what you need, you don't go to a cat house for love
    lol

Sorry to rant, but I am so upset with the national morning radio shows. First off, Mike & Mike only want to talk football. Period. And at that, they spend too much time talking about Greenberg's favorite team, the Jets. He tries to bring every conversation around to the Jets.

You would think with the Division Series starting that MLB would get a pretty good presence on the show, right? Wrong. Regular season NFL is all they want to talk about.

And when they do get around to baseball, it all comes back to the Yankees series. They pretty much only mention the Reds series when they read the scores. No real talk about how they had to pull a rabbit out of their hat Saturday night with Cueto going out. Nope. But you can bet if they Yankees had lost Sabathia after 2 hitters and won, that is all they would have talked about.

If we aren't up 2-0, Cueto going down is a HUGE freaking deal. With the way this team picked up the slack, he really has some time to get himself right and it isn't a big deal. This is where our pitching this year really comes into play. How many teams would have a guy like Bailey to go to in this situation, a guy currently on run of 10 runs allowed in his last 48.2 innings with a recent no hitter to boot, a guy who wasn't scheduled to even pitch in this series?

I agree with you 100%. Also who else thinks TBS's baseball coverage is horrid? They know absolutely nothing about the teams that they are covering or the teams in the playoffs. They act like Bronson has never went 7 innings in his life. I understand that the magnitude of a playoff game makes his performance good but if I remember correctly he did have a 1 hit shutout in SD before the All-Star break this year and had another complete game somewhere along the lines too. Hes been good all year. And another thing Im getting tired about hearing is Joey Votto's lack of power and how that will doom the Reds. Everyone outside of Cincinnati forgets we went 22-3 without him. This team gets no respect from any national media and hopefully this team is using that as some sort of motivation. The only comment I heard that made the announcers act like they knew what they were talking about was when Ron Darling said "Dusty would love to have Stubbs bat leadoff but he strikes out way too much". And last, in Fridays edition of the USA Today they had capsules of all the playoff teams and at the bottom of the Reds capsule they mentioned that GABP had banners up commemerating the 1869 and 1976 teams(I think those were the 2) and it said that those 2 things will remind fans that there is some sort of history associated with this team. What a JOKE. Sorry for the rant also. A quick question to all of you. Who else is muting there TV and listening to 700 for all these playoff games? I am.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

ESPN starts talking NFL in July, so this really doesn't surprise me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Lets face it, no matter what... The Reds will never be a media darling.... Or any team outside Ohio State in this state will be a media darling....

Just how it is....
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

ESPN is all about football. All other sports are just filler time for them. If I want baseball talk I go elsewhere. Any sports fans should know that by now. I quit listening to ESPN radio long ago.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    Lets face it, no matter what... The Reds will never be a media darling.... Or any team outside Ohio State in this state will be a media darling....

Just how it is....
    For me, it isn't even about the Reds. It's about baseball in general, and any team not named "Yankees."

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    ESPN is all about football. All other sports are just filler time for them. If I want baseball talk I go elsewhere. Any sports fans should know that by now. I quit listening to ESPN radio long ago.
    Here in Indy, I don't have a lot of other options.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

That's funny, because for me, the other sports serve as filler for when baseball isn't on. Football is something to do during the offseason.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's funny, because for me, the other sports serve as filler for when baseball isn't on. Football is something to do during the offseason.
    Me too. Baseball and college basketball are top two for me. Over the years I have slowly lost interest in the NFL for whatever reason. It just doesn't fo much for me and really haven't watched much this season. I'd much rather watch baseball.
    In DC this morning it was all about football even though their team just won their first post season game in nearly 80 years. Hardly a mention of the Nationals. This is and will always be a Redskin town.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For me, it isn't even about the Reds. It's about baseball in general, and any team not named "Yankees."

Here in Indy, I don't have a lot of other options.
    I actually think Mike and Mike do a decent job. The problem with baseball is no one really talks about it. They do spend a disproportionate time on the Yankees but unfortunately they have the most fans as well as anit-fans. They spend a lot of time talking about the BoSox as well this season.

Unless they have a baseball analysis on they don't talk a whole lot of baseball when the NFL is in season. Even when they do its normally Buster Yankee who has a strong NY Boston lean. They lost a lot when Peter Gammons quit doing his segment on Mike and Mike.

Lets be honest Baseball did itself no help by having the games on TBS and having two games end past Midnight eastern time. I give credit to the NFL who on work nights has the playoff games ending no later than 9-10 as opposed to baseball who doesn't. There was no reason that the Reds game couldn't have started at 630. There was no reason they couldn't use TNT and stagger two MLB games within an hours start time.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Me too. Baseball and college basketball are top two for me. Over the years I have slowly lost interest in the NFL for whatever reason. It just doesn't fo much for me and really haven't watched much this season. I'd much rather watch baseball.
    In DC this morning it was all about football even though their team just won their first post season game in nearly 80 years. Hardly a mention of the Nationals. This is and will always be a Redskin town.
    I'm right with you, and the beauty of that is College basketball takes you to the first Monday of April, otherwise known as Opening Day. They're really a perfect pairing.

I don't care about football at all. I follow what the Bengals and UK do week to week, but that's about it. The result is that Sportscenter, once my favorite thing on television, is pretty much useless to me. All my highlights and analysis come from MLB.com, a couple blogs, and this board.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?