Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: National Radio Rant

Re: National Radio Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Colin is quite the frontrunner. Yesterday he was railing on the city of Kansas City basically saying that the reason they cheered Cassel's injury was because they live in a cow town in flyover country. A much more sophisticated city like NY never would have done that because they're not all about football. They have Broadway, shopping etc so football isn't everything to them. I got news for Colin. Don't think it can't happen anywhere. It could happen in NY. If Sanchez puts up numbers like Cassel they very well might cheer when he goes down.
    Big City Philly fan would have never, ever boo'd an injuried player. never.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now it has always been the custom to cheer/ applaud for an injured player as they are taken off the field as a show of support. How is what the KC fans did different? I am asking because I have not seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Fans in big markets on the coast don't stoop so low as to actually cheer an injury, even an opponent's starting pitcher. I'm sure we would never see something so shocking.
    Im sure if the Yankees were facing the Sox and what happened to Cueto happened to a RedSox player in NY they would cheer their hearts out.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Big City Philly fan would have never, ever boo'd an injuried player. never.
    or Santa Claus
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

That right there sums up one of the reasons why Colin Cowherd, not to mention most sport talk show hosts lose me. First off, I get the point, there's even some validity to it. However, it exposes a major flaw in Colin's idea of how his talk show works. Colin is basically saying that b/c the ratings were lower than elsewhere, there is nothing worth talking about, nothing worth presenting to his audience that might enlighten them just a shade more than they were before they flipped the dial.
    Yep, and also Cowherd's show exists only to fill in time and attract advertising dollars. The higher his ratings are, the more $ comes into ESPN coffers. That's what it's all about.

It's not about enlightening or teaching anyone, it's about pandering to your audience. It's really like listening to a local radio talk show from NY (or, Bristol, CT).

Mo and Lance do a good job locally here, for the most part, and they pander to their audience, in a way, and they'd be crazy not to. They're fans of all the Cincinnati teams, at least while they're on the air.

The national dudes are no different, do the same thing, and their target is the population dense east coast. Mike and Mike have become absurd in the morning, all they talk about is the Jets, Patriots, Giants and Eagles.

I'm with you all that go with MLB network, NFL network, etc- they do a much better job of covering the sport in it's entirety.
    sorry we're boring

I walked into the break room at work just now and heard the Sportscenter host say a Cincinnati win tonight would give the Reds their first postseason series win since the 1990 World Series.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I walked into the break room at work just now and heard the Sportscenter host say a Cincinnati win tonight would give the Reds their first postseason series win since the 1990 World Series.
    I guess the Reds skipped right over the divisional round in '95 and went straight to the NLCS.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

the problem w/ Baseball, is that w/ the exception of the Yankees, its a very regional sport. Redszone is going to be the exception to the rule as many on here are avid baseball fans beyond just football fans. However most people don't have a huge passion for baseball beyond the team they root for along with a mild interest in a handful of other teams.
    This about captures it. The fact that baseball still draws well at the gates and on local TV masks a nationwide challenge. Rural folks especially seem uninterested. I'm on the record for rule changes to speed up the game.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still don't get the "speed up the game" crowd. Football games last 3 1/2 hours and not one single person thinks twice about it. Baseball lasts 3 hours and "OMG ITS SO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERMAHGERD!"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I still don't get the "speed up the game" crowd. Football games last 3 1/2 hours and not one single person thinks twice about it. Baseball lasts 3 hours and "OMG ITS SO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERMAHGERD!"

Well, there's a difference. Football is played once a week, and baseball is almost everyday.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I'm right with you, and the beauty of that is College basketball takes you to the first Monday of April, otherwise known as Opening Day. They're really a perfect pairing.

I don't care about football at all. I follow what the Bengals and UK do week to week, but that's about it. The result is that Sportscenter, once my favorite thing on television, is pretty much useless to me. All my highlights and analysis come from MLB.com, a couple blogs, and this board.
    Ouch, a Bengal and a UK football fan? No wonder you don't like football. For all the heartache that the Bengals put me through, at least I have Ohio State football to save the sport for me. I wouldn't like football either if I were you. Just being a Bengals fan alone has almost caused me to drop the sport on several occasions. Having the worst owner in all of professional sports is just the icing on that crap cake (not to be confused with what they specialize in over there in Baltimore).

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

The games are over too fast.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

As well-put by Bill James, it's about "draining the inaction" from the game. Lazy throws to first, batters stepping out of the box, 3 in-inning pitching changes -- all of that needs to be kept to minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    And that's why I don't get my baseball news from sports stations that aren't baseball centric

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Ouch, a Bengal and a UK football fan? No wonder you don't like football.
    Hahaha, there's probably something to that. But I've been a Reds fan my whole life too, and my baseball love has never waned, even through the decade-which-shall-not-be-named. I can watch any team play any time. If I'm being honest (just me and you here, right?) football is too slow for me, and I don't understand it particularly well, especially defense.

I kind of watched the Green Bay game Sunday, and I swear every time I glanced up from my iPad where I was following the playoffs, there was a huddle of refs and a flag laying on the field. I don't know how to look it up, but it had to have been pushing four hours. It was brutal.

But back to the point, I remember when during the summers Sportscenter was an hour long and had about 40 minutes of good, snarky baseball highlights. Now during the summer it's 20 hours long with 19 hours and 15 minutes of "WHEN'S FOOTBALL COMING BACK I MISS IT LET'S TALK ABOUT TEBOW."
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?