Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: National Radio Rant

Re: National Radio Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    As well-put by Bill James, it's about "draining the inaction" from the game. Lazy throws to first, batters stepping out of the box, 3 in-inning pitching changes -- all of that needs to be kept to minimum.
    Of course they never discuss the real reason games go so long, the ever expanding time taken for ads between innings and during pitching changes. That's what I like about soccer, no timeouts for ads. I watched NFL football in Europe once and it was unwatchable. The Euro broadcaster didn't insert ads, so you got to see all the time they waste standing around.No ads, no studio guys talking, no announcers talking. Just guys standing around. I swear American football involves more standing around than actual play. The Europeans we watched the game with got bored after one quarter and started playing foosball.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another question I have about this issue is why Skip Bayless still has a job? His love for Tim Tebow was bordering on scary.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 10-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Another question I have about this issue is why Skip Bayless still has a job? His love for Tim Tebow was bordering on scary.
    Same reason Jim Rome has a job. Radio programmers don't care if you can provide actual analysis as long as you can yell loud and tick people off enough to call in. Sports radio has become a steady stream of loud talking and banana phone callers.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 10-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm a Skip Bayless fan. I just wish they'd give him better sparring partners. So many of them are one trick ponies that only know one sport. Skip's knowledge of many different sports is quite impressive. As for Tim Tebow, he's on record as saying that he'll never go to a Pro Bowl so I don't know what kind of love he has for the guy.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 10-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I heard JT The Brick call the Reds the best team in the National League the other morning, of course they'd just got done clobbering the Giants 9-0.

Also on the Loose Cannons last week, (Fox Sports Radio), 3 of the 4 guys picked the Reds to make the WS, and 2 picked them to win it.

I was surprised they knew the Reds existed.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Colin Cowherd is the worst. I don't give that idiot the time of day.

The NBC Sports Network is in its infancy but I've really liked a lot of things they have done. I would go to that channel before I would trust anything from ESPN.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Does that count all the local TV deals?
    According to this chart, which cites its sources, the NFL's total annual revenue, gate/media/licensing/etc. in 2012 is $9.5 Billion, while MLB's total 2012 revenue is $7.7 Billion.

So the NFL has about ~20% more revenue overall.
    /r/reds

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    The games are over too fast.
    Exactly. I love baseball. Why would I want less of it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Exactly. I love baseball. Why would I want less of it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I love Citizen Kane, that doesn't mean I want to watch it unedited.

Remember Cowherd's argument about how Votto didn't belong in the 2010 ASG because he plays in Cincinnati and therefore isn't a star?

He's a professional troll.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Someone would do well to create a sports talk network that targets the "flyover states" and mainly talks about midwest related sports. Big-10, Big-12, central divisions from all sports, north divisions in NFL, and so on. From Ohio to the Rockies and Canada to Texas, you're talking easily 100 million plus people. That's quite a market.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Someone would do well to create a sports talk network that targets the "flyover states" and mainly talks about midwest related sports. Big-10, Big-12, central divisions from all sports, north divisions in NFL, and so on. From Ohio to the Rockies and Canada to Texas, you're talking easily 100 million plus people. That's quite a market.
    I object to the term "flyover states." That term was coined by jerkwads on the coasts who mistakenly believe there is nothing important in between the coasts. Yet if NY and CA fell into the ocean, America would do just fine. If something happened to the Midwest, America would be toast. There goes most of your food and manufacturing, coastal idiots.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Want ESPN to talk about you? get to the world series and beat the yankees. They'll talk about you then.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Want ESPN to talk about you? get to the world series and beat the yankees. They'll talk about you then.
    For about five minutes, then they'll shift back to Tebow, the Jets, the Cowboys, Tiger Woods, the Lakers, North Carolina/Duke and USC football.

Turn Off Ads?