Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The excellence of Bronson Arroyo

The excellence of Bronson Arroyo

I sort of like the symmetry of having threads like this all popping up at once. And for pete's sake -- the guy deserves it! I have to admit, I was one of the folks calling for a Bailey start in SF, but Bronson's offspeed deception and arm angle changes were lethal in that ballpark last night. After he got through the first inning (when I briefly thought he was going to get creamed after giving up three straight line drives), Bronson was absolutely stellar. Good call Dusty, great game team, bring out the brooms!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The excellence of Bronson Arroyo

Sometimes we all fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have a great fastball to be a dominant pitcher; then something like last night reminds us that it's not that simple...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Bronson has been throwing well lately. This thread is well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Sometimes we all fall into the trap of thinking that you have to have a great fastball to be a dominant pitcher; then something like last night reminds us that it's not that simple...
    Absolutely. For the record, I wasn't worried about that though. It was more about Bailey's ineffectiveness at GABP than Arroyo's performance anywhere. Even so, I'm happy with the results we got! Let's hope Homer slams the door with another no hitter tomorrow!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Arroyo is one of my favorites. He's true joy to watch on how changes speeds and arm angles. When he's on top of his game he's as good as anyone.Very undervalued by a lot of people because he doesn't throw hard. He never misses a start and give you 200+ innings every year. Every team needs one or two starters like Arroyo.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Not every pitcher has the guts to throw an 83 mph "heater" down the middle of the plate. Bronson sets up his pitches so well that batters assume it's a slider or changeup that's going to drop out of the zone. Then, when it floats by them, they get frustrated and end up chasing the next pitch -- usually a slider or changeup that drops out of the zone.

The man is a devious wizard.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The man is a devious wizard.
    That is a colorfully accurate description. I think Welsh had it right in the post game. Arroyo got caught up in the fact that he lost some velocity last year and sacrificed command and movement trying to make it up. He was a mercilessly deviant wizard last night at 87!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    That is a colorfully accurate description. I think Welsh had it right in the post game. Arroyo got caught up in the fact that he lost some velocity last year and sacrificed command and movement trying to make it up. He was a mercilessly deviant wizard last night at 87!
    I dont think he was caught up in a velocity loss, per se. I think that mono/valley-fever really took it out of him and it probably took him 12+ months to fully regain his strength/endurance.

-Matt

Turn Off Ads?