Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Excellance of Dusty Baker

Re: The Excellance of Dusty Baker

Is the decision not to walk Arias being talked about anywhere else?

It's going to sound like second guessing but.... what the actual heck? I wouldn't have done it until the passed ball, but with the pitcher's spot on deck, why in the world would you not walk Arias with first open!? You either make Romo bat, or the Giants use their LAST pinch hitter, AND Romo has to come out of the game. I was screaming at the television. Has anyone asked Baker about this yet??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I do love how this thread went from "Dusty did a great job managing the two games in San Francisco" to "Dusty is a HOF manager and anyone who disagrees is just spouting sour grapes."
    You'll have to show my where this discussion has taken place. I can't seem to find it on Redszone at all.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

It's going to sound like second guessing but.... what the actual heck? I wouldn't have done it until the passed ball, but with the pitcher's spot on deck, why in the world would you not walk Arias with first open!? You either make Romo bat, or the Giants use their LAST pinch hitter, AND Romo has to come out of the game. I was screaming at the television. Has anyone asked Baker about this yet??
    We were saying that in the stands last night. The Giants had a pinch hitter in the on deck circle and then pulled him back after they went ahead.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I still don't get pulling Chapman after 1 inning more than anything else.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You'll have to show my where this discussion has taken place. I can't seem to find it on Redszone at all.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    I'm sure some on here just cursed me, but if we're getting into the "excellance" of the 1st 2 games, might as well give some props to Dusty.

Starting Stubbs in Center....Excellant call, and saved some runs.
    Phillips continuing to bat leadoff despite late season slump there, has done wonders so far.
    Starting Arroyo in game 2, who could have done better?
    Remaining cool under pressure when his Ace departs after 8 pitchers.

2 games in and he has the golden touch so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Dusty has managed the bullpen masterfully all season and helped the team navigate through losing their star for 1/3 of the season by performing better than they have with him. Sorry, your criticisms sound like sour grapes and nitpicking at this stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix
    Dusty's critics are often insulting to the man...I find that to be the most corrosive aspect to all this. People just like to take shots at him, I guess it's his cartoon name and unapologetic style. Reds fans haven't been so lucky in years. Dusty is a HOF manager, and his critics need to get a grip.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Agree completely, I think it was a mistake on Dusty's part. Not only that, but it would have set up an out at every base, meaning after the bobble, Rolen could have come home (may have been easier as he was charging the ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still don't get pulling Chapman after 1 inning more than anything else.
    I get it. You pitch him 2 innings on Tuesday, he may not be able to pitch on Wednesday if you need him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I get it. You pitch him 2 innings on Tuesday, he may not be able to pitch on Wednesday if you need him.
    In a game like last night where if you win there is no Wednesday or Thursday, I follow the sage advice of The Grass Roots

Grass Roots - Let's Live For Today - YouTube
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

May have jumped the gun a bit on this thread.

In a game like last night where if you win there is no Wednesday or Thursday, I follow the sage advice of The Grass Roots

Grass Roots - Let's Live For Today - YouTube
    Ya know Creed from The Office is in that band

I'm just glad we saved Chapman for today.

Dusty got out managed today. And that's not to say Bochy is a genius because he's far from it, nor is it to say that this loss is completely on Dusty because it's not, but everybody knew Leake and Zito both sucked. Bochy was willing to concede the point far earlier, realizing that even if Zito had gotten out of the jam that got him replaced that he wouldn't have magically stopped sucking.

He shouldn't be back if we lose tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Dusty got out managed today. And that's not to say Bochy is a genius because he's far from it, nor is it to say that this loss is completely on Dusty because it's not, but everybody knew Leake and Zito both sucked. Bochy was willing to concede the point far earlier, realizing that even if Zito had gotten out of the jam that got him replaced that he wouldn't have magically stopped sucking.
    Bochy had Lincecum in the pen. Who was dusty going to pull out of the hat? Simon was his only real long guy and he is 3 innings tops

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Bochy had Lincecum in the pen. Who was dusty going to pull out of the hat? Simon was his only real long guy and he is 3 innings tops
    Simon has had a better year than Lincecum.

Turn Off Ads?