Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meso/Grandal question as it relates to Hanigan

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Meso/Grandal question as it relates to Hanigan

It's becoming more and more apparent that Ryan Hanigan is incredibly important to this team, when one considers everything he contributes to it (offensively, defensively and attitudinally).

I figure most of us thought that either Mesoraco or Grandal would take over for him sooner or later. But I'm now thinking that (even at the old age of 32), Hanigan has several more years where he could, and IMO should be the regular catcher.

If that is the case (and of course that's a debatable point) does that change anyone's thinking as to which of the young guys the Reds should have kept? This is in consideration of the generally held opinion that Mesoraco is the better defensive prospect, and that Grandal is the better offensive prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Meso/Grandal question as it relates to Hanigan

We may and probably will never know if San Diego would have accepted a different package in the Latos deal. Maybe they wanted an offensively strong catcher, or some other attribute hidden in within the 4 players that were traded. In my opinion, Mes has flashed his potential at times this season despite his woes at the plate (he did hit a grand slam) and Navarro has been a great surprise. I think he fits into the team's scheme very well.

This is also somewhat biased because a good friend of mine grew up with Mes, so I unconditionally root for him.

Hanigan has been unreal this season. His baseball IQ has made him one of the game's best catchers (lowest BAA and/or ERA when he catches I believe) and yes I agree his contributions have not had their limelight like they should have.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    We may and probably will never know if San Diego would have accepted a different package in the Latos deal.

Hanigan has been unreal this season. His baseball IQ has made him one of the game's best catchers (lowest BAA and/or ERA when he catches I believe) and yes I agree his contributions have not had their limelight like they should have.
    I guess we never will know. This is a treat, if you haven't caught it yet.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video...nager_postgame

through out his minor league career Mesoraco was always touted as a good offensive catcher although he may be better defensively than Grandal. Mesoraco did average .268 in his minor league career which isn't great but also isn't bad but the guy who I look to possibley take over for Hanigan is currently in AA is Tucker Barnhart. He had a down year in 2012 once he got called to AA hitting .200 after hitting .278 in high A (.247 on the season) but should adjust to the level of play this season and possibly move up to AAA by the end of the season next year while Mesoraco adjust more to the big league level while hopefully keeping Dionner Navarro as a back up because he is still only 28 even though he has been around forever.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

I know its too early to tell but it makes you wander if the Reds plan staying with Navarro over Mes next season. There's no argument that this team has been way better with Navarro as the backup. I've gotta feeling this could be the tandem for a few years

I like Mesaraco and think he has big upside. It wasn't that long ago that many on here were talking about his potential as a middle of the order type of bat. As far as who would you rather have traded, it is a question we can't know the answer to. San Diego might not have completed the deal for Devin.
    As with Hanigan he has obviously been incredibly important to this team this year. And will be valuable for at least a couple of more years. My only concern there is if Mesaraco will be able to develop in the back up role. I question how great the decision to let him play in the ML while not getting many at bats.

The talk of him being a four hole hitter was exaggeration after an insane 30 HR season and people projecting their hope that he could be the next Bench. Funny how everyone was considering Mesoraco the better offensive prospect based on that one season and not looking at Grandal's consistency trough every level...then after seeing what they've both done in the majors, people act as if it was the other way around. Personally, I'd prefer a contact switch hitting catcher over yet another guy on the team that tries to knock the cover off the ball every AB.

I wouldn't mind spending another early pick on a highly graded catching prospect, sticking with Hanigan/Navarro and seeing what Barnhart can do in a few years.

I hope Mes can turn it around with the bat. He definitely has the potential, but as of right now I'm skeptical. If he keeps on the same course he will end up being Gomes, not Bench. We already have a couple of those types in the outfield.

Forgot to add: Give Hanigan whatever he wants for five more years. He's my favorite player on the team. He's not a superstar, he's talented but not gifted. He doesn't have the greatest arm or a big bat, but he finds other ways to get the job done. He has the OBP he does and is the catcher he is through nothing more than hard work and being a students of the game. He keeps his nose down and goes out and does his job with absolutely no fanfare.

People say he's the most underrated catcher in baseball...I'd take it a step further and say he is the most underrated player at any position. There's no coincidence that our rotation and bullpen are both phenomenal and have completely blasted off after he took the reigns as #1 catcher. If I had to choose an MVP for the team this season I would choose Hanigan without hesitation. This may sound blasphemous to some, but I would be much more interested in spending two hours with Hanigan watching tape and talking about opposing hitters than watching two hours of Votto hitting batting practice.

I wouldn't trade Hanigan for any catcher in baseball. He's exactly what you want back there.

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    I wouldn't trade Hanigan for any catcher in baseball. He's exactly what you want back there.
    I know we all hate him but Yadier Molina? He is very good defensively and better offensively....Come to think of it I wouldn't trade him for him either just out of hatred

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice View Post
    I wouldn't trade him for most catchers in baseball however, Buster Posey or Joe Mauer? I would take them over Hanigan.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I know we all hate him but Yadier Molina? He is very good defensively and better offensively....Come to think of it I wouldn't trade him for him either just out of hatred
    I'd take Yadi on the Reds in a heartbeat. IMO he's the best Catcher in the big leagues.

Hanni is good enough, though.

I would take him over both Posey and Mauer. Look at how our pitching staff has performed compared to the Giants. And Mauer isn't all that great defensively, is injury prone and even the Twins would rather have him playing somewhere else. Hanigan offers more behind the dish than either at the moment. Maybe you would choose Posey simply because he has more years left...but if you had to pick one to play catcher only for the next two seasons...well, nobodt can call a game like Hanigan does. He's the engine of this pitching staff and that's invaluable.

Yadi is better offensively, sure. But I think its not too long before his production stops slipping...then again, those damn Cardinals don't age like other players for some reason. I'd still take Hanigan. Mostly because I can't stand Molina. If Hanigan ran his mouth to the media and played in St Louis, New York or Boston he would widely be considered one of, if not the best game caller in the league. But since he's reserved and plays in a small market, he's wildly overlooked. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I would take him over both Posey and Mauer. Look at how our pitching staff has performed compared to the Giants. And Mauer isn't all that great defensively, is injury prone and even the Twins would rather have him playing somewhere else. Hanigan offers more behind the dish than either at the moment. Maybe you would choose Posey simply because he has more years left...but if you had to pick one to play catcher only for the next two seasons...well, nobodt can call a game like Hanigan does. He's the engine of this pitching staff and that's invaluable.

Yadi is better offensively, sure. But I think its not too long before his production stops slipping...then again, those damn Cardinals don't age like other players for some reason. I'd still take Hanigan. Mostly because I can't stand Molina. If Hanigan ran his mouth to the media and played in St Louis, New York or Boston he would widely be considered one of, if not the best game caller in the league. But since he's reserved and plays in a small market, he's wildly overlooked. I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
    I will say I feel like the Giants pitching staff is not struggling because of Buster Posey but because the Reds offense is coming together at the perfect time. As for Mauer I still believe he has more time left behind the plate than hanigan I do agree completely about Molina though. He is my 2nd least favorite player behind Chris Carpenter. I would say I think Hanigan is the most underrated player in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post

Kind of agree on Mauer definitely not on Posey and Molina as both are superior to Hannigan. Not a put down on Hanigan just that those to are certainly better.

Turn Off Ads?