Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meso/Grandal question as it relates to Hanigan

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

Re: Meso/Grandal question as it relates to Hanigan

Bottom line is we've got a top-notch catcher already without having to trade for him. The downside to Buster Posey and Joe Mauer is what you'd have to give up to get them. We don't have to give up anything to get Hanigan, he's already here. Consider the whole deal and we'd end up losers if we traded for either of them. I agree with joshua, we've already got the complete catcher (offense, defense, game calling, quiet leader of pitchers, etc.).

Hat off to Ryan Hanigan ... hopefully he's only underrated in the press and not by the brass come contract time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFaninAfrica View Post

Hat off to Ryan Hanigan ... hopefully he's only underrated in the press and not by the brass come contract time.
    I do agree with this, but I will say the Reds need to continue to try to draft/sign internationally and develop catchers because Hanigan was a very lucky draw being a tryout camp signing and was never drafted.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Forgot to add: Give Hanigan whatever he wants for five more years. He's my favorite player on the team. He's not a superstar, he's talented but not gifted. He doesn't have the greatest arm or a big bat, but he finds other ways to get the job done. He has the OBP he does and is the catcher he is through nothing more than hard work and being a students of the game. He keeps his nose down and goes out and does his job with absolutely no fanfare.

People say he's the most underrated catcher in baseball...I'd take it a step further and say he is the most underrated player at any position. There's no coincidence that our rotation and bullpen are both phenomenal and have completely blasted off after he took the reigns as #1 catcher. If I had to choose an MVP for the team this season I would choose Hanigan without hesitation. This may sound blasphemous to some, but I would be much more interested in spending two hours with Hanigan watching tape and talking about opposing hitters than watching two hours of Votto hitting batting practice.

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

I'll go out on a limb and say ALL teams should be aggressively developing catchers at ALL times. You never have too many catchers in the queue.

Turn Off Ads?