Turn Off Ads?

Thread: John Sickels preliminary Top 50 Hitters & Pitchers lists

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

John Sickels preliminary Top 50 Hitters & Pitchers lists

John Sickels released his Top 50 lists today, though he notes they are quite preliminary and could change before the official lists come out in January. John does not rank hitters and pitchers in the same lists as he thinks they just aren't that comparable to each other.

Pitching Top 50
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-list-for-2013

The Reds landed three guys on the list: Robert Stephenson at #15, Tony Cingrani at #26 and Daniel Corcino at #27.

Hitting Top 50
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

Billy Hamilton was the only Red and came in at #7.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Sickels preliminary Top 50 Hitters & Pitchers lists

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    John Sickels released his Top 50 lists today, though he notes they are quite preliminary and could change before the official lists come out in January. John does not rank hitters and pitchers in the same lists as he thinks they just aren't that comparable to each other.

Pitching Top 50

The Reds landed three guys on the list: Robert Stephenson at #15, Tony Cingrani at #26 and Daniel Corcino at #27.

Hitting Top 50

How well do you agree with how well he listed those players?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    How well do you agree with how well he listed those players?
    Let me first start off by saying that right now, I am not as up to date on everyone elses guys as I should be. So I am just basing this off of past "general areas" of where our guys would likely slot in at.

They all look right, with the exception of perhaps Cingrani. Personally, I would have had him 10-15 spots lower. I still just don't know if he is a #2 starter, a #4/5 starter or a 7th inning reliever. There is such a wide variety of where I can even say he could be, which is weird given that he is already logging big league innings. The uncertainty for me would have him a little bit lower. I am sure others are going to disagree with me.

It seems that these 4 guys are the consensus top 4 prospects in the Reds system right now.

Like Doug, I'm really curious to see what happens with Cingrani's career. Nobody seems to be sure one way or another. Since it seems unlikely that the Reds are going to put Chapman in the rotation, maybe he can replace Arroyo after this year? That would be best case scenario.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Doug, were you surprised about Stephenson's ranking? It seems like Sickels likes him a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Doug, were you surprised about Stephenson's ranking? It seems like Sickels likes him a lot.
    Not really. There is a LOT of upside there. He has some work to do still. But for his age, he isn't behind the ball in terms of control (though he also isn't ahead of it) and on a pure stuff side of things, there are maybe a few other guys in the minors who can match him.

8 of the Top 20 Pitchers were from that unbelievable First Round of 2011. I still say that could go down as the best draft of the generation, much like the top 6 guys in the NFL Draft of that same year.

Our guys look ranked about right IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Pitching Top 50

Hitting Top 50

Love that Cincinnati has three of the top quarter of all pitching prospects. That's good odds of finding at least one league average or better starter. I really like Stephenson's arsenal, arm, et al. I also love Cingrani's numbers. Those of Corcino are nothing to sniff at either.

Still love Hamilton's upside and the recognition of respected national pundits that his bat looks to be at least okay at this point.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

What's with Dan Straily being ranked so low?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

X
    Last edited by texasdave; 10-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?