Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alex Karras Has Kidney Failure

Alex Karras Has Kidney Failure

And has only been given a few days to live.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...kidney-failure

One heck of a DT, a part of the Fearsome Foursome, for the Lions in the 60's.

And who can ever forget his role as Mongo in Blazing Saddles

Mongo knocks out a horse! - YouTube

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

You're in my prayers big guy!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Karras Has Kidney Failure

I am sorry to hear about this. I don't really remember him as a player. The first I remember him was when he was a part of MNF with Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford. He became a good actor after his playing days. Unfortunately he has become one of the many former NFL players who developed dementia that was probably due to too many hits to the head.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I am sorry to hear about this. I don't really remember him as a player. The first I remember him was when he was a part of MNF with Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford. He became a good actor after his playing days. Unfortunately he has become one of the many former NFL players who developed dementia that was probably due to too many hits to the head.
    I don't think he's a good poster child for post football dementia as he did an awful lot after his playing career. We should all be so lucky as to do the things he did as an actor and other things. As for him getting dementia in his 70s, OK, that happens all over America.

He was a legend in Detroit when I was growing up, lived in a neighborhood around mine... my mom met him at a party once, said he was a colossal arse

I remember him as Websters dad first then Mongo. Never saw him play. He sort of reminds me of my dad though too.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Karras made all state in high school all four years, a different position every year

Karras is near the top of the list of NFL players who have wrongly been kept out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was selected to the all decade team for the 1960s, yet he's not in the HOF. I can recall Jerry Kramer writing in "Instant Replay" about how he dreaded going up against Karras, whom he said only had as an equal Merlin Olsen (Of course Kramer himself is on the short list of players who should be in Canton).
    R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Karras is near the top of the list of NFL players who have wrongly been kept out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was selected to the all decade team for the 1960s, yet he's not in the HOF. I can recall Jerry Kramer writing in "Instant Replay" about how he dreaded going up against Karras, whom he said only had as an equal Merlin Olsen (Of course Kramer himself is on the short list of players who should be in Canton).
    R.I.P.
    I just assumed Karras was on the HOF. I never saw him play but from everything I have read he was a dominant player in his era. Sounds like he should be in.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    R.I.P.
    I wonder if his gambling history had something to do with that. Whatever he did must have been pretty severe to warrant a year long suspension (1963)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder if his gambling history had something to do with that. Whatever he did must have been pretty severe to warrant a year long suspension (1963)
    He and Paul Hornung were both suspended for the entire 1963 season for betting on NFL games. I've never read of any allegations that they bet against their teams. I read an article earlier today that quoted Lions linebacker Wayne Walker as saying both he and Karras bet on the Packers in the 1962 NFL championship game against the Giants because, having played both teams, they were certain Green Bay would clobber the Giants--that even though the Lions has mauled the Packers on Thanksgiving for Green Bay's only loss that season.
    Anyway, although there have been claims that other players also bet on NFL games, only Hornung and Karras were suspended. They were both reinstated in 1964. Hornung reportedly was contrite; he later was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Karras was reportedly, well he reportedly was Alex Karras, which didn't endear him to Pete Rozelle; he has never been inducted.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was watching numerous games yesterday, as well as half-time shows, including CBS' NFL Today, and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of Karras' passing at all from anyone. Strange.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was watching numerous games yesterday, as well as half-time shows, including CBS' NFL Today, and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of Karras' passing at all from anyone. Strange.
    They had a tribute to him coming out of a commercial during the Baltimore/Dallas game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They definitely mentioned it during the 4pm Fox game shown here along with highlights of his career

Turn Off Ads?