Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: NLDS Game 3 - Giants at Reds 10/9/12

Re: NLDS Game 3 - Giants at Reds 10/9/12

Why did they take out Chapman?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    No doubt, Rolen botched it but, Sanchez is out on the play, Arias is safe.
    Sanchez doesn't hit the same ground ball you know.

Sanchez has got just as much chance of getting a hit, plus you've got the walk to consider. Plus Sanchez is a better hitter vs RH piotching than the platoon player Arias.

Look walking Arias wasn't a horrible play, but suggesting that he should have been walked becuase Sanchez wouldn't have beaten out that grounder is simply managing based on the result.

The Giants had a better chance of scoring a run with the bases loaded and Sanchez at bat than runners on 2nd and 3rd and Arias at bat.

That's all that really matters, the rest is window dressing.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Brutal loss.

Just the kind of garbage win SF needed.

Painful.

PS - I would have let Chapman pitch another inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's probably still my biggest question of all these things. Not that I had a problem using Broxton, but why not extend the game with your best pitcher? You couldn't bank on getting the game over in 10 innings there, so I don't see why they didn't bring him back into the 10th.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

1) I don't know if he's pitched 2 innings in a row all year.

2) He just came back from a dead arm

3) Pitching him in the 10th does not guarentee anything other than he cannot pitch game 4.

You live to fight another day.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Do we know whether it's Leake tomorrow for sure?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

You can continue on this game if you want but, the fact remains that Sanchez ain't beating out a weak ground ball like Arias did. Hell, he may have homered, he may have struck out. The one thing for sure is that he's not as quick as Arias and that a weak ground ball doesn't beat you. If you don't want to admit that, carry on, but I'm not going to debate simple facts.
    The simple fact is that Sanchez has a better chance of beating you with the bases loaded than Arias does with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

That cannot be debated.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Sanchez doesn't hit the same ground ball you know.

Sanchez has got just as much chance of getting a hit, plus you've got the walk to consider. Plus Sanchez is a better hitter vs RH piotching than the platoon player Arias.

Look walking Arias wasn't a horrible play, but suggesting that he should have been walked becuase Sanchez wouldn't have beaten out that grounder is simply managing based on the result.

The Giants had a better chance of scoring a run with the bases loaded and Sanchez at bat than runners on 2nd and 3rd and Arias at bat.

That's all that really matters, the rest is window dressing.
    Again, I'm not debating whether Sanchez hits a ground ball or not. What I'm saying is that Sanchez isn't as fast and IF HE HITS A GROUND BALL he's not as likely to beat it out. Plus, forcing Sanchez to the plate forces Romo out of the game giving you a better chance to score in the bottom half of the inning regardless. I see valid points for not walking him and it's clear that it's on Rolen not Dusty. I would have preferred the walk for the reasons I mentioned above plus the fact that Sanchez has zero post season at bats.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

They wouldn't have been in that situation if not for Hanigan's passed ball.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    1)

You live to fight another day.
    That's kind of the point... they gave the Giants a chance to live to fight another day when it's possible they could have put them down to sleep after this game.

There's no guarantee Chapman would have shut the Giants out in the 10th, but there's no guarantee that saving him will do any good either.

The dude was out there throwing 99-100 routinely tonight. I think his dead arm issues are over with.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They wouldn't have been in that situation if not for Hanigan's passed ball.
    Nor if they had fallen ass backwards into a single bleepin run in 8 innings.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Nor if they had fallen ass backwards into a single bleepin run in 8 innings.

1st inning cost the game. Had a feeling when it happened. The way Homer pitcher tonight, a 2-0 or 3-0 lead would have been money.

Very disheartening loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's kind of the point... they gave the Giants a chance to live to fight another day when it's possible they could have put them down to sleep after this game.

There's no guarantee Chapman would have shut the Giants out in the 10th, but there's no guarantee that saving him will do any good either.

The dude was out there throwing 99-100 routinely tonight. I think his dead arm issues are over with.
    This might be a blessing in disguise...They are saying LaCure could start tomorrow. If so we will need all of our bullpen. We could not have a 12-15 inning game tonight.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Again, I'm not debating whether Sanchez hits a ground ball or not. What I'm saying is that Sanchez isn't as fast and IF HE HITS A GROUND BALL he's not as likely to beat it out. Plus, forcing Sanchez to the plate forces Romo out of the game giving you a better chance to score in the bottom half of the inning regardless. I see valid points for not walking him and it's clear that it's on Rolen not Dusty. I would have preferred the walk for the reasons I mentioned above plus the fact that Sanchez has zero post season at bats.
    I see merit in getting Romo out of the game, but having a reliever who averaged less than an inning per game go another inning didn't scare me much.

To me the most importent matter was which situation was likely to result in another run scoring. And sanchez with the bases loaded was the clear winnng there.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I see merit in getting Romo out of the game, but having a reliever who averaged less than an inning per game go another inning didn't scare me much.

To me the most importent matter was which situation was likely to result in another run scoring. And sanchez with the bases loaded was the clear winnng there.
    I'm not sure how you could say that. Loading the bases would have no doubt opened the door for a big inning but, it gives you a force at home, a slower runner, a chance to go to third with Pence trying to run on one leg.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Turn Off Ads?