Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds-related playoffs news

Reds-related playoffs news

Maybe a good idea to have a thread just for playoff news. Two things I saw today.

First, Zito was named for game four, if there is a game 4. Not bad for the Reds, they do well against lefties. He didn't have a super year, 4.15 ERA pitching in SF. Righties hit Zito for a .823 OPS this year.

Second, Jamie Garcia is out on the DL, won't be available for NLCS. He was hot for awhile there. If the Reds play the Cards, this could be a meaningful development.

Feel free to sticky this thread, or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds-related playoffs news

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but Tom Browning is throwing out the first pitch tonight.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned but Tom Browning is throwing out the first pitch tonight.
    I hope his arm doesn't break in the middle of the pitch
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The grounds crew may need to draw a straight white line from the dugout to the mound so Tom knows where to go.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I hope it's not hit for a HR to give the Giants the early lead.

I assumed that today's starter, Homer Bailey, would make the first pitch. Is this something new?

Same Reds lineup for Game 3. Stubbs eighth, same thing.

No changes for Giants either.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I hope it's not hit for a HR to give the Giants the early lead.

I assumed that today's starter, Homer Bailey, would make the first pitch. Is this something new?
    Yes it is a long time Cincy tradition that a former player will pitch to the first batter. If I recall correctly I think it was either Jim Maloney or Joey Jay who pitched to the first batter in the 75' WS.

I hope Browning does well.

The way the Giants have been hitting, I expect him to get a weak grounder to short from Pagan.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Worse yet, hopefully Tim Teufel is not leading off for the Giants against Browning!
    Last edited by redhawkfish; 10-09-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen

RT @Hydeman3: any feeling from Dusty about his future beyond winning the world series?//Seems he will return

Even if Baker and the Reds had an agreement in place, it probably wouldn't be announced until after the playoffs anyway. I'm thinking they pretty much have it worked out already. It's because of Castellini that Baker is here in the first place.

-The Insider-

Not news, but a question. Aroldis pitched exclusively from the stretch tonight. I haven't notice him doing that lately. Has anyone?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Bad Reds related news... Cueto removed from roster

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012...to-source-says

NEXT VIDEO Giants Vs. Reds Game 4 PreviewGiants Vs. Reds Game 4 PreviewBaseball Tonight looks ahead to game 4 between the Giants and the Reds.Tags: MLB, San Francisco Giants, Cincinnati Reds
    Breaking Down The Giants' Game 3 WinBreaking Down The Giants' Game 3 WinBaseball Tonight break down the Giants' win over the Reds in game 3.Tags: MLB, San Francisco Giants, Cincinnati RedsWith right-hander Johnny Cueto ruled out of Game 4 of the NLDS, the Cincinnati Reds have decided to start Mike Leake, a source told ESPN's Bob Holtzman on Wednesday.

Mat Latos had been an option to start against San Francisco Giants starter Barry Zito, but he pitched four innings of relief in Game 1. He replaced Cueto who threw just eight pitches before leaving with what initially was called back spasms but has since been described by the team as a mild right oblique strain.

Electing to start Leake means Cueto will be removed from the team's roster and can't return until the World Series, should the Reds advance that far.

Fay just tweeted:

#Reds confirm it is Leake. Cueto off roster.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Fay just tweeted:

#Reds confirm it is Leake. Cueto off roster.
    Good, time to move on.

See ya in the World Series JC

Turn Off Ads?