Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

Re: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

Nothing a little dirt can't fix

Seriously, hope he's OK to go again this year, would be a shame for both him and the team to have to sit out the postseason after challenging for the Cy Young all season long.

Does the team have any of Rijo's snake oil sitting around on a shelf somewhere? (which in hindsight, anyone wonder if Rijo's snake oil was perhaps the prior formulation of Bond's "the cream and the clear"?)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bad news, but I have faith in Leake.

So if Cueto is out for the year the rotation is Latos, Arroyo, Bailey and Leake.

Hardly the end of the world.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

On the list of instantly awful things to happen to the Reds this season, I'd rate this behind Madson's ligament tear and Votto's knee injury.

This team has been laughing in the face of adversity all year. Why stop now?

Go get 'em, guys.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Maybe it's just me but the drop off from Cueto to Leake seems pretty significant to me. Certainty not the end of the world but it will definitely make this much more difficult.

Some previous abdominal strains and recovery period:

1. Austin Jackson - missed about 3 weeks this season
    2. Jose Altuve - left game against Reds on Sept 7, 2012 with "left lower abdominal strain" and returned Sept 11.
    3. Angel Pagan - missed only 2 games in June this year with abdominal strain
    4. Matt Moore (Pitcher) - missed about a week in spring training this year with a mild abdominal strain
    5. Chipper Jones - injured in WBC on March 15, 2009 and returned in time for Opening Day on April 5, although he had been playing through pain in his side for a week.

What all this means is anyone's guess, especially since most of these guys are hitters and aren't providing the same torque as Cueto. It sounds like recovery time is highly variable and mostly depends on the pain experienced by the player.

My guess would be they drop Cueto for Leake and hope for a return in the WS. I think that's the best-case scenario.
    Votto for MVP

Really depends on what "mild" really means.

In the short term, this means that it is all the more reason that the Reds have to win tonight and avoid the immediate decision of whether to DL him or not. If they win, they don't have to make a decision for several more days. And if they think he might be able to go in the NLCS, they could also save him for game 3 or 4 which is well over a week away.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

We saw the Cards' Garcia and raised them a Cueto. Now let's go win this game tonight and start the NLCS with Latos-Arroyo-Bailey.

Homer Bailey just became the most important player on this team.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would only DL Cueto this series if Leake is going to start Game 4. Otherwise, leave the roster as it is. Then decide on Cueto as we go forward.

Hope Game 4 isn't an issue because there IS no Game 4. But if there is, it could be Latos, it could be Leake.

In other words, don't DL Cueto until absolutely necessary.

It's not good news. But this team has dealt with adversity all season. This is nothing new for them. If ANYONE can overcome this, it's this team. I doubt Cueto is ready to go before the World Series. The rest of the guys are just going to have to pick him up until he's ready.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In other words, don't DL Cueto until absolutely necessary.
    Why would they?

Though there is some thought (according to the Reds) that you can't wait too long or they may deny it.

Cueto was injured on October 6 and the WS runs from Oct 24-Nov 1. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I think if the Reds made it that he could stand a decent chance of pitching in at at least one game. But really it's all conjecture.
    Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Why would they?

Though there is some thought (according to the Reds) that you can't wait too long or they may deny it.
    Cards acted very promptly in DL'ing Garcia. My guess is Reds will wait until after tonight and if they lose will make the decision then.

I guess the main issue is whether to start Leake in Game 4 (if necessary, let's hope it's not necessary) or whether to start Latos on three days' rest.

IMO, I would go with Bailey, Latos and Arroyo. I like Latos v. Zito tomorrow, even with the three days' rest.

Go Reds.

Cueto doesn't need to be DL'd before NLCS. They can change roster between series. Theyll just simply leave him off NLCS roster and add him back to WS roster.

-Matt

Turn Off Ads?