Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

Re: Cueto Diagnosed w/ "Mild Oblique Strain"

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    If the interview was live, I have a hard time believing Walt hasn't already spoken with the trainer. If the interview was taped, it would sure be nice for Seg or WLW to clarify that.
    The interview was live. About 15 min. ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Cueto can't go tomorrow, could Latos? While it's only 3 days rest, he only threw 57 pitches on Saturday.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Are strain and spasm mutually exclusive? Could it be a very mild sprain that triggered a spasm?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Are strain and spasm mutually exclusive? Could it be a very mild sprain that triggered a spasm?
    That's what I was thinking. Maybe it was more like an oblique spasm than an oblique strain. Either way, this is all making my brain hurt, and my blood pressure rise.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Maybe it's just me but the drop off from Cueto to Leake seems pretty significant to me. Certainty not the end of the world but it will definitely make this much more difficult.
    In a vacuum, no question but Leake's not a bad option to have sitting around. In fact Johnny hasn't been Cy Young lately. In looking at the past 28 days Leake has arguably been better. His ERA was 3.32 and 1.316 WHIP. Cueto's: 4.13 and 1.482

If Cueto can't go tomorrow, could Latos? While it's only 3 days rest, he only threw 57 pitches on Saturday.
    I wondered the same after game 1.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Or it could be gamesmanship -- why tip the Giants off that Mike Leake might be the G4 starter any sooner than absolutely necessary.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I wondered the same after game 1.
    He probably could, but I wonder if they question if it would affect his effectiveness. Plus, it makes no sense to do so unless you want to bring Arroyo back on 3 days rest.

I think I'd rather go with Leake and make sure that Latos is properly rested for the final game if needed.

I think a rested Leake is as good as a risk as Arroyo on 3 days rest. I don't think Arroyo improves the longer that batters have a second chance at.

Knowing Latos' hatred of the Giants, he'd probably happily pitch the next 3 nights if Dusty would let him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I think a rested Leake is as good as a risk as Arroyo on 3 days rest. I don't think Arroyo improves the longer that batters have a second chance at.
    Leake is a 5.54 ERA guy at home. I'll take Arroyo once through on 3 days rest (2-3 IP) and let LeCure, Simon, and the bullpen take the rest.

I'd avoid pitching Leake at all costs, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

If Walt says he can tomorrow if need be, that's what I'm going to believe. He's dealt with the media long enough to know the facts before making a statement.

The interview was live as well.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I wonder if the Nats would let us borrow Strasberg? I hear he's not doing anything these days

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Leake is a 5.54 ERA guy at home. I'll take Arroyo once through on 3 days rest (2-3 IP) and let LeCure, Simon, and the bullpen take the rest.

I'd avoid pitching Leake at all costs, IMO.
    You could do the same thing with Leake, have him go 2-3 innings.

But I think having Latos pitching on normal rest trumps everything.

He pitched 4 innings last game on 3 days rest, and certainly didn't look as sharp as he has been looking lately.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You could do the same thing with Leake, have him go 2-3 innings.

But I think having Latos pitching on normal rest trumps everything.

He pitched 4 innings last game on 3 days rest, and certainly didn't look as sharp as he has been looking lately.
    Some of Mat's lack of sharpness should be attributed to lifting weights/long-tossing before the game. Given all that, I find it remarkable he did as well as he did.

This would be short rest, but without those other probable detrimental affects.

Go Homer! Make this all irrelevant. I was skeptical of Bronson on Sunday, and I am not real positive in attitude about Homer given his road/home splits, but I was wrong two days ago. Would be thrilled to be wrong again.

Turn Off Ads?