Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The excellence of Mat Latos

The excellence of Mat Latos

Just saw the thread on Brandon (who is also awesome), but doesn't Latos deserve his own thread? Just amazing how he was so eager to get in the game, and then to pitch that well. I thought it was an amazing performance--first Cincy post-season win (in any pro spot) in 15++ years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: The excellence of Mat Latos

Mat Latos = rockstar and all out STUD
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is all because of Cat Latos.

Actually we are lucky he packed his spikes...seriously. He was not scheduled to pitch until tuesday.

I love the attitude, love the fire in his belly.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

He was pulling his elbows before Cueto left the field. I have not historically had a "favorite" player, but he's working on me making an exception. Talent and attitude, awesome competitor and teammate.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Actually we are lucky he packed his spikes...seriously. He was not scheduled to pitch until tuesday.

I love the attitude, love the fire in his belly.
    Nah, at some point on the road he knew he would be throwing a side session. They were going to be with him.

The thing that impressed me about tonight is that he clearly didn't have his usual stuff, but he still battled and got the job done under the circumstances. That was a great effort out of him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Dallas needs to be proud of her husband tonignt. What a gut-check effort! Depending on what happens from this point, what Mat did last night could have historical signifigance. The Reds are very fortunate to have more than one number one. I think the Padres were remiss to miscalculate what beats within the chest of Mat Latos, and the Reds are the benefactors. I am convinced this guy would walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball after what I just saw. I have never been more proud of the Reds.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 10-07-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The thing that impressed me about tonight is that he clearly didn't have his usual stuff, but he still battled and got the job done under the circumstances. That was a great effort out of him.
    Yep, exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Latos reminds me of a young Curt Schilling. He's a horse now, but in about 4-5 years he's going to be a monster! Definite #1 makeup.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Latos reminds me of a young Curt Schilling. He's a horse now, but in about 4-5 years he's going to be a monster! Definite #1 makeup.
    The man himself thinks so too!
    https://twitter.com/gehrig38/status/254789847695360000
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Plus, he just helped me win the 2015 World Series in ootp13.

Lead the league in ERA with 220 IP.

In my time of watching MLB baseball, the only pitching performance I've ever watched that rivaled this was the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks in Games 7 of the World Series when Randy Johnson came on in relief, although not even close to being a situation like the Reds were in last night.

Most clutch hold in the history of the playoffs.

It also reminded me a little of Game 2 of 1990 WS when Jack Armstrong came in and pitched 3 or 4 strong innings after the A's knocked around Danny Jackson.

This is certainly way more impressive though. I'm pretty sure Armstrong was in the postseason bullpen anyway, having your Game 3 starter step up and do that is incredible.

The Reds went after the right guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?