Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Excellence of Homer Bailey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Excellence of Homer Bailey

Amidst the kvetching about tonight's loss, I don't want us to forget how dominant Homer was tonight in the biggest start of his life. 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 10 K. Ladies and gentlemen, combined with his last few starts of the season, I do believe the Reds may have done gone and found themselves an ace.

I know RMR and others have pointed to peripherals to claim that Homer's season was actually pretty similar to last year -- and I'm not contesting that. But the last few weeks, he has morphed into something I think we all were hoping he could be one day. Here's hoping that continues throughout October and into next season as well!

Last edited by RedEye; 10-09-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: The Excellence of Homer Bailey

I couldn't have been more wrong about Homer. I couldn't be more happy to be wrong.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Guy is unreal and just entering his prime. He's turned the corner, this is not an anomaly. Reds have hit the jackpot with him as part of the staff the next few years.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

His last 3 starts have been downright filthy.

20 IP, 1 ER, 26 K, 5 H, 2 BB

What's Bailey's future? Who knows. But he is absolutely dealing right now.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

My goodness. That's a Halladay stretch right there.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I don't care about the hits and runs. 20 IP, 26 K, 2 BB. That is flat out domination.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't care about the hits and runs. 20 IP, 26 K, 2 BB. That is flat out domination.
    Absolutely.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I think the runs and hits are even more impressive. That's 1 hit every 4 innings and 1 run every 20. Wowza.

No other Reds starter has ever recorded as many SO in a single playoff game as Homer Bailey did tonight. Nice job Homer.

Stat geek...and proud
    He was dominate. There's not a person who was in that ballpark tonight who didn't think he had a chance to throw another no no. Other than a Cole Hamels start where he struck out 15 Reds several years ago it's the best pitched game I've ever seen in person except for those two guys who reached in the third and they pushed the run across.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    He was dominate. There's not a person who was in that ballpark tonight who didn't think he had a chance to throw another no no. Other than a Cole Hamels start where he struck out 15 Reds several years ago it's the best pitched game I've ever seen in person except for those two guys who reached in the third and they pushed the run across.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
    I think I was at the Cole Hamels game you're referring to. Did David Ross hit into a triple play? That sticks out in my head.

And I agree on Homer. I'm sure he looked filthy on TV but getting to watch him at the park was just an awesome experience. He was dominant and the crowd was absolutely electric at times. It's a real shame the offense couldn't do anything for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Nobody on the planet pitching better than Bailey right now.

He's looked like an ace his last few starts. Going into 2013 you have to really feel good about the Reds top 3 starters,Cueto,Latos and Bailey. Throw in Arroyo who is almost always consistent and you have feel like the Reds will be a playoff team for the foreseeable future.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I think I was at the Cole Hamels game you're referring to. Did David Ross hit into a triple play? That sticks out in my head.
    Yep. 5-4-3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If Cueto is out for the next series we still look pretty formidable with Latos and Bailey satrting the first 2(I cant see us being swept 3 at home. We win tonight). What a time for one of our young pitchers to turn the corner. Homer deserves everything that has been coming to him here lately and I hope he can stay a Red for a long time. In the beginning of the season I said Homer and Heisey would be keys to this years team. I was right about one, and I underestimated Luddy big time.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?